The Dark Witch

The Letter

P.O.V – Maria Le Fay

Dear Sirius,

I wrote. Tears flowing down my face, casting a sideways glance at the wedding ring on my left hand. We had just been married. No matter how many times I refused, I even attempted to run away, Sirius came after me. No, clearly wasn’t in his vocabulary.

I turned around to stare at his sleeping form on the queen sized bed. He looked so peaceful in sleep. Like an angel, as opposed to the little devil he really was/could be.

After we had had our ceremony, he had whisked me into the room of requirement for our wedding night. The room had responded to his desire quiet beautifully. Decorating the room in rose petals and candles, and placing a bed, with a Gryffindor color comforter, in the center of the room. It had been so perfect. The perfect goodbye...

Swallowing, I forced myself to turn away from Sirius, and back to my parchment. That was another good thing about the room of requirement. The second I imagined a desk, parchment and a quill, it provided.

I’m sorry

I wrote, wiping my a tear off my cheek as I did so. Saying, ‘I’m sorry’, did little to apologize for the fate that awaited him now. Our marriage had bound him to me. Whatever happened to me, whatever my father inflicted, he would feel it tenfold. But the pain would lesson if I went away. The farther I was from him, the less he would be damaged.

I can’t do this. I didn’t mean to, lead you on,

Lead him on, he practically dragged me to the altar. The idiot. My idiot.

I guess that is the proper term,

I wish I could stay with him. Be at his side for everything that is to come, but I simply can’t be. The instant I don’t appear at my father’s side when he calls, will be the moment the torture begins, and I can’t watch Sirius go through that.

but this isn’t my choice.

Yes, my love, in a way, it actually is. After all, I chose to sell myself to my father, I chose to let myself marry you, however, I did not choose my father, and I did not choose for him for him to hate me. Or torture me, as he will take delight in using my own power to inflict me with pain whether or not I return to his side. The only thing I can do is spare you, and that is not a choice. When it comes to sparing you pain, there is no choice.

Look Sirius, I know what a temper you have,

If anyone would know, it would be me.

but don’t do anything rash or stupid!

Like I know you will the second you read this letter.

I mean it!

That will never work.

Lay low for awhile, promise me!

If my father already hasn’t discovered our connection, in the short time we’ve been linked, we’ll have been very blessed.

I don’t want anything to happen to you.

I dropped my quill. Swallowing hard as I was briefly overcome by tears.

I never thought I would ever write that and mean it. My whole life, I had been taught only to wish people pain and suffering. I had never wanted to protect someone as badly as I did Sirius. The most quick tempered, willful, and witty man I had ever met.

Don’t you dare think, ‘don’t worry about me’ and laugh to yourself, this isn’t funny.

Please don’t, Sirius. I wouldn’t run if this was truly nothing. What I’ve done. What we’ve both done…

For a moment, I lost myself in thought, before resolutely thinking,

I won’t allow my father to hurt you. He’s already driven my mother insane, and he can do whatever he wants to me, but not you. Not ever you.

I…can’t see you for awhile, if ever.

My father will most likely have even loftier plans for me now. He will use the power he has over me to ensure I wreak destruction on the world I love, and for you, I will do it.

Sirius, I will think of you every second. Every moment. Even though I cannot allow myself near you.

Just, don’t forget me, okay.

Like I won’t be forgetting you.

I love you.

Oh how easy it was to write the words we had only just confessed.

Maria

I lowered my quill to the desk. It was time now. I could feel my tattoo burning on my back. My father was seeking me, and I can no longer deny his requests.

Carefully, I slipped my wedding ring off my finger. Saying goodbye to Maria Black forever, though I had only known her for a short while, as I placed the ring on the parchment.

P.O.V – Becky Sinclair

Abruptly, I shot up from my bed. Tears flowing down my face, my body covered in sweat.

That dream, Sirius...

It had seemed all so real.

I placed my hand to my forehead as I let out a sob. I just can’t believe he’s gone and I don’t know why.

Taking a deep breath, I reached over and flicked on my bedroom light.

After my meeting with Dudley, and subsequent, illness/panic attack, Mrs. Figg had dragged me back to her house. Ordering that I get some sleep. Even in my weakened state, I managed to ask her about Hogwarts and why Harry had left for it months earlier.

She called me daft, and practically pushed me into my room and tucked me to be bed, before she ever really answered my question.

“Hogwarts starts just when I told you, Becky, and if Dumbledore took Harry early, then I’m sure he had his reasons.”

Then she bolted from the room before I could say, ‘a due’.

Shortly afterwards, the second my light was off really, I fell asleep, and into that dream. That painful dream.

Placing both hands on my face, and closing my eyes, I dragged both hands slowly downwards. I wish I knew why Sirius affected me so much. After all, it’s not like I ever knew the man.

“You did know me, Becky.” I heard a masculine voice reply to my thoughts.

My eyes snapped open to see a young Sirius Black sitting at the foot of my bed. I could feel my heart rate speed up.

“You just don’t remember me.”

Author’s note: Well, that’s the end of The Dark Witch. No, seriously. I’ve always had it in my mind divided into two parts. This is the end of part one. The second part, Return of the Dark Witch, will be up soon. I promise.

And side note, I still don’t mind reviews (and thanks to all that have reviewed this story, I couldn’t have done it without you and I’m serious about that too) and who knows? Maybe the more reviews I get will speed part two coming up. You never know...*walks away whistling*