The Dark Witch

The First Memory

P.O.V. – Albus Dumbledore

I instantly knew where I was in Sirius’ first memory, it was the great hall of Hogwarts, the night of Maria’s sorting. The night sky ceiling was even more dazzling to me than normal it seemed, but perhaps it was just Sirius’ perspective. I turned to face the center of the large room to see the sorting line, it was full of soon-be first year students, except for one lone figure in the back wearing a large black cloak with the hood pulled down, successfully covering the person’s face. Maria. I remember now, she thought she would be less conspicuous that way, despite my warnings…

Needless to say, the great hall, packed to the gills with students, was abuzz, I heard myself call for quiet more than once, as Professor McGonagall brought out the old and tattered sorting hat.

I watched for a moment as first years climbed up upon the tiny brown stool to be sorted. My old students, I thought fondly, as the first one was sorted into Hufflepuff and the second into Ravenclaw. Smiling a little to myself, I looked towards the Gryffindor table, and my gaze fell upon Marauders. All sitting in a row, with James and Sirius in the middle and Remus and Peter on either end, Lily sat on the opposite side of the table making polite chit chat with the girl beside her. It was nice to see them all alive, happy, and together again.

I moved closer to hover over James’ shoulder, he was sitting quietly, I believe for the first time in all his years at Hogwarts, his head boy badge gleaming off his chest, as he watched the sorting. Sirius on the other hand was idly talking to Remus about the cloaked person who was moving ever closer to being sorted. They couldn’t quite seem to figure out if it was a person or not, Sirius was leaning towards it being a troll and Remus was undecided, chuckling to himself.

Finally Maria was the next in line to be sorted, she had gone out of her proper turn because of her age and was last, I watched myself stand up to once again face my students as she moved warily to stand beside the stool.

“I have an announcement to make,” Younger me began looking from Maria to the great mass of students, if I remember correctly, I was almost fearing a massacre, but kept thinking better of it, “A new seventh year student will be joining us this year. Up till now she has been homeschooled and taught by her father,” I cleared my throat, “but this year she has decided to join us at our humble school.”

I watched Sirius snap his fingers and mutter the words, ‘a girl’, to himself as he dropped a gallon into Remus’ outstretched hand.

“I would like you all to welcome, Maria Le Fay.” I watched myself begin to clap as I, my younger self, sat back down on my large throne like chair, giving Maria a nod, my indication that it was time for her to sit down and be sorted.

I watched as she nodded back to me and silkily sat upon the stool, lowering her hood as she did so. In this second go around, my students’ reactions were even more amusing. The second her hood was lowered the clapping stopped instantly and a collective gasp echoed throughout the room. Even Sirius’ mouth fell open a little. Maria was absolutely as stunningly beautiful as I had remembered her, with her finely etched features, long waist length black hair, storm gray eyes, and large red lips. She looked more like a dark angel, than a girl of seventeen years.

Apparently oblivious to the reaction she was getting from the rest of the school, Maria reached forward takingthe sorting hat from Professor McGonagall to place it upon her own head. Silence filled the hall, each member of every house secretly praying that the hat would send her their way. Minutes ticked by, the sorting hat seemed to be straining in deliberation. More minutes, still no house was called out, everyone was holding their breath. An eternity seemed to have passed by now, rumbling stomachs were plainly heard throughout the great hall.

The silence was suddenly broken, and a soft mutter echoed around in the large room, “If there was only a house in-between the two, that’s where you would belong.” a pause, then a loud shout, “GRYFFINDOR!”

Loud applause filled the room as a feast to feed hundreds, appeared upon each of the four tables, almost no one seemed to notice Maria as she hopped down off the stool and went to join the Gryffindor table. Food was more important at the moment.

As she sat down, across from James and beside Lily, she glanced briefly at Sirius, a minimal glance, but already her quick assessment of him was painfully obvious. The harsh judgments ran across her face like water, playboy, showoff, jock, self-obsessed, and, to her worst of all, blood traitor. She gave him a fake smile, as she turned to face Lily Evans, who was requesting her attention.

James who, like I, had been watching Maria’s facial expressions, and towards whom they were being directed, turned to nudge Sirius, who had been stuffing his face hungrily, and whisper something into his ear. A brief look of extreme irritation passed over the handsome young man’s face as he swallowed and turned away from his friend to face Maria, the warmth in his face refusing to meet his cold gray eyes.

“Do you have a problem with me?” He asked with mock hurt lining his voice.

Maria turned away from Lily to meet his icy gaze dead on, “Why would I have problem with you? I don’t even know your name.” Her storm gray eyes swirled with mockery even as her face and voice protested innocence.

Sirius’ glare merely intensified at her words and not breaking her gaze, stuck his right hand across the table towards her, “Sirius Black.” He said shortly, as Maria eyed his hand with unconcealed revulsion. Noticing this, he gave her a curt smile and began to withdraw his hand when she caught it with her fingertips.

“Maria Le Fay.” She replied, meeting his gaze again and feigning a polite smile. Then as quickly as they had touched, they broke apart, never to share more than secret glances at each other for the rest of the evening.