Status: completed.

Losing Touch

four

“Eric Halvorsen. Just because I told you why I left John, does not mean that you have to check up on me every single day now.” I laughed.

“But what if I want to?” he said. And I laughed again.

“You are the biggest dork ever, I swear.”

“Whatever. But today is the last concert!”

I smiled largely. “Really!? You should go home with Justin or something and then you take the two hour drive or whatever from Chico!” I said ecstatically.

“Shhhh, don’t tell Olivia.” He said, which caused me to giggle.

“Fine, I promise. Well, I better go. I have another stupid trip to the doctors.” I said with all the joy in my voice gone.

“Okay Zoe. Love you.”

“Love you too Halvo. Bye.” I said and hung up. I sighed and grabbed my purse before heading out to the living room.

“Ready?” Olivia asked.

“As ready as I’ll ever be.” I said as we headed out the door and into her car. As soon as she started her car, The Maine came through the speakers.

“You know me too well, I swear.” I said with a laugh. Olivia knew that no matter what, the only voice that could calm me down before going to the doctor’s was John’s voice. I sighed and closed my eyes and started to relax as we drove down the freeway to get to our destination.

After about twenty minutes, we had finally gotten to the hospital. I looked over at Olivia nervously, just like always. I took a deep breath, thought of Kennedy, Halvo, and even John and we walked back into the place I was all too familiar with.

“Hi Lisa, I’m back once again.” I said to the receptionist.

“Oh, Hello Zoe. Doctor Schmitt will see you in Room 483.” She said with a smile. I smiled back, said a quick ‘thank you’ and walked into the room with Olivia.

“Oh joy, the same room as last time.” I said as I dropped my bag on the side of the bed. I sat on the bed, and motioned for Olivia to sit next to me. Once she sat down, she gave me a nice, reassuring hug and I hugged back as tightly as I could.

I heard two knocks on the door, and then it opened and revealed Doctor Schmitt. “Well, welcome back once again Zoe. Ready for another round of chemo?” he said.

“I guess I have to be.” I said, holding Olivia’s hand tightly out of nervousness.

“Okay then, we’ll let you eat your last good meal and then we’ll hook up later. Sound good?”

“Yep. Olivia’s getting me Carl’s Jr.” I said with a smile.

“Oh, and did you ever tell your husband?” Dr. Schmitt asked. After all the time I had spent with him, I had ended up telling him about how I left John once I was diagnosed with skin cancer. And just like everyone else, Dr. Schmitt had told me to just tell him.

“No, I’m just too scared to finally admit it to him of all people. I can’t do that to him. One, it will make everything completely real. And two, I don’t need constant phone calls and any need to interrupt him during shows.” I stated.

“I can understand that, but I really think you should just tell him. It might make him feel better knowing why you left rather than leaving him in the dark.”

“I just might, Dr. Schmitt. I just might…” I said with a artificial smile as Dr. Schmitt walked out of the room.

“Please promise me you’ll call him later.” Olivia requested immediately. I looked up into her eyes, and I could tell that she really wanted me to.

“Fine. I’ll grow up and tell John. I think it might do me and him some good. I mean, I might actually come to term with the fact that I’m basically dying…”

“Don’t say that. Don’t ever say that again Zoe Marie O’Callaghan.”

“Okay. I’m sorry Olivia. Thank you for everything. Also, if I don’t call John, then you can call him and force me to tell him.” I said.

“Okay!” she said giddily as she jumped up and down.

“Okay, now go get my food bitch.” I said and we both laughed.

---

John

“Thank you everyone! Next is Cobra Starship!” I yelled and ran off stage. Today, I had been really happy. I just had a really good feeling about today.

“Oh, Jared!” I said in a sing-song voice as he turned around.

“What Johno?” he asked seeming a bit annoyed with how lively I had been all day.

“Hasn’t today been great?” I said somewhat dreamily.

“Sure.” he laughed, “But it’s great to see you happy again.” He said and smiled.

I felt my phone vibrate and I saw some unfamiliar number and I scrunched my eyebrows together. “I’ll be right back guys.” I stated and walked away real quick. “Hello?” I asked into my phone.

“John?”

“Oh my god… Zoe?"
♠ ♠ ♠
93 readers, 27 subscribers, and 10 comments. Wow guys, thanks. :D

Second: Well, now you know what's wrong with Zoe. She has skin cancer. And this is something very personal to me, and that's the reason I'm writing about it. I've seen everything in the process of skin cancer first hand from diagnosis to death. It sucks, I am aware.

And sorry to leave you with a cliffhanger until after January 3rd! D:

- Rach (:

PS: Everyone go watch Garrett and Pat's live chat on the 3rd, and ask silly questions because I won't be able to watch and ask stupid questions like I usually do. xD

PPS: If you can guess where the name inspiration of "Dr. Schmitt" came from, you can be either Garrett, Pat, Kennedy, or Jared's girlfriend... in the story only, sorry. Can't help you in real life (; Hint: He's in a band...

Okay, this insanely long author's note is finally over. (x