‹ Prequel: Painful Lullaby
Status: Finished.

Jagged Edge

Secrets Too Grim To Keep

I was disgusted at the sight as I entered Jag's house. Donny had gotten there before us due to having to pull over and resolve our catfight. When you first entered, there was a big sign that said, 'We're Here For You, Zoe!' In the living room, there was a table full of food and a bottle of Vodka. It made me sick. I went and sat down on a pillow in the farthest corner of the room. Adam and Jag walked in but continued to stand. As Zoe entered, she was greeted with hugs and a shower of people telling her they loved her and were there to support her.

It was disgusting and it made me fucking jealous.

The first thing they did was hand Zoe a bag of clothes. She went into the bathroom to change out of the ones she had been wearing. When she came back, people commented on how she looked like the 'old' Zoe, and she was 'one step closer to sobriety.'

The next task for her to complete was proving she could battle temptation. She was handed the bottle of Vodka. She could either drink it or dump it down the sink. She chose to dump it down the sink and was congratulated with whoops and hollers of delight. I was the only one standing in the back with my arms crossed.

Sobriety task number three was to break cigarettes in half and throw them in the trash, or she could smoke them. She broke them and threw them in the trash like they had an STD. We all went back into the living room and took our directed seats. I sat next to Abbie, Veronica, and Kori on the loveseat. I wasn't really paying attention to where anyone else was sitting because frankly, I didn't really care. Then, everyone started confessing how much Zoe meant to them. I was utterly horrified. There was no way my sanity was going to hold up through all of this.

I stood up like a zombie with what I'm sure looked like a haunted look in my eyes. I didn't say a word to anyone and no one noticed me, they were looking at Drama Queen Zoe who was crying up a storm.

I silently climbed the stairs. As I reached the top, I stopped to debate where I should go. That's when I heard footsteps behind me. I whipped around, afraid I was going to be caught by someone, but it was only Adam. He put his finger to his lips as a sign for me not to say anything. I chose to go into the guest bedroom because it was farthest away from the living room an we would be less likely to be heard if we chose to talk. Adam followed after me and closed the bedroom door as I took a seat on the edge of the bed. Adam sat next to me and we sat in silence for a moment.

"Adam?" I asked timidly, looking up at him through my eyelashes. He looked down at me with his green eyes and for the first time I realized how prominent they were against his black hair and pale face.

"Yeah, Roxie?"

"Is...I feel stupid for saying this."

"Don't feel stupid. What is it?"

"Well, um...is there something wrong with me?"

"Wrong with you?! Nothing's wrong with you!"

"Yeah, but Zoe...she's so much prettier than me."

"Roxie, you're beautiful. Don't let anyone tell you any different. Especially Zoe."

"I don't feel beautiful."

"Why not?"

"Well, I never really hear it from Jag anymore. Well, not since Zoe got arrested. Which hasn't been that long, I guess, but still. With the way he talks about her intervention...it hurts me."

"How about we go down and see what they're doing, then we can come back and talk about it?" Adam suggested. I nodded. He took my hand and helped me off the bed, walking me carefully down the stairs.

When we peered into the living room, the sight crushed my already broken heart.

The TV was on, and everyone was sitting by their boyfriend or girlfriend. Zoe and Jag were sitting next to each other. Zoe was laughing and had her hand on Jag's knee. Jag had an arm wrapped around her waist and the other one was drawing on her leg. I turned to Adam, feeling and probably looking like a little child. I tugged on his hand.

"Adam. I wanna go back upstairs," I whispered.

"Yeah, me too. Let's go." He led me quickly and quietly up the stairs and back to the bedroom. I went and sat back on the edge of the bed, Adam following me just like last time.

"I'm sorry, Roxie," he murmured, taking my hand in his. It was warm and soft and sent shivers through my insides.

"Not as sorry as I am for you."

"We've basically got the same situation, huh?"

"Yeah..."

"R-Roxie?"

"Yes Adam?"

"You're beautiful. Please look at me. You are amazing. How you tolerate all this shit just blows my mind. You...you're..."

"Yes?"

"You're basically everything I ever looked for in a girl."

This confession overwhelmed me with such happiness that it was indescribable. A smile spread across my face, but it was shadowed with the usual doubt.

"Really?" I asked.

"Yep."

"Prove it."

Adam brushed the hair from my face and gazed into my eyes. He bit his lip, then leaned in. He kissed me gently on the lips. His kiss was nothing I experienced before with Jag. Jag's were loving and kind. Adam's were tempting, dangerous, and careful. He pulled away.

"You know, when you tried to kill yourself this summer, I wasn't crying because I loved Jag then. It was because you seemed like the perfect girl and I didn't want you to die and I didn't want Jag to steal you away."

His lips crashed into mine again, this time with traces of lust. He licked my bottom lip and I parted my lips for him. Our tongues intertwined as he leaned me back onto the bed. The kiss got heated, and I pushed Adam over so I was on top of him. I broke the kiss and started pulling off his shirt. He did the same with mine, making sure to be careful with the bandaged part of my stomach. I bent down to kiss Adam again, but he moved his head and started sucking on my neck. He found my sweet spot immediately, making me moan softly and buck my hips slightly into his. Before I knew it, both of our pants were off, leaving us in nothing but our underwear, and in my case, bandages.

"Roxie! Adam!" Someone called up the stairs. We both froze, then jumped off each other, but the voice continued, "We're going to the mall! See you guys in a while!"

We waited for the voices to be cut off by the slamming of the front door and the sound of the car engine to fade away before we continued.

"That was close," I breathed.

"But convenient," Adam grinned evilly. He undid the back of my bra and cast it to the side. I tugged on his boxers and tossed them away. The only barrier between us were my underwear, which were simply tugged away.

"Are you sure you wanna do this?" Adam asked huskily.

"It's now or never, Adam," I smirked.

__________

After we finished, Adam and I lay curled up naked on the bed. I curled into Adam's side and he traced circles on my hips.

"Adam...that was amazing," I sighed. Adam was silent. He looked like he was contemplating something.

"Roxie, what does this mean for us?" he asked.

"I...I dunno Adam. I guess I just cheated on Jag," I said. The thought was kind of astonishing.

"I mean, I know you love him, but I Wanna do this again. I don't expect you to feel the same."

"I would love to do this again. This was...it was something that even Jag couldn't give me," I admitted truthfully.

"So, we're like secret friends with benefits?" Adam asked, a smile playing across his face. I giggled.

"Yeah, secret friends with benefits," I agreed. Adam kissed me on the lips softly several times. I wound my arms around his neck.

"You know what sounds really good right now?" Adam asked me.

"Huh?"

"Music." With that, Adam pulled away from me and ran to Jag's room. This was kinda funny, because he was naked and he just fucked me and now he was running around my boyfriend's house naked. Adam came back with his iPod and my iHome. He hooked up the contraption and played the music softly.

"Love songs?" I asked.

"Slow songs," Adam corrected. "Now get over here and dance with me!"

I giggled again at the thought of us dancing naked in Jag's guest bedroom, but got up and wrapped my arms around Adam's neck. His hands reached down to the small of my back and we swayed there together for a while, just staring at each other.

"Well," Adam said after a while, "For as much as I'd like to see you naked all day, we should probably get changed before they get back."

I blushed, "Oh, well...alright. Just as long as I can see you naked again."

"You will, I promise," he grinned.

"Seal it with a kiss?" I asked, pointing to my lips.

"You got it."
♠ ♠ ♠
Title credit goes to Play Dead by The Birthday Massacre.
And to the girl based off the character of Zoe, I apologize for making you seem like such a bitch. You aren't like that at all in real life. I only hear what I want to.
xoxo.