‹ Prequel: Painful Lullaby
Status: Finished.

Jagged Edge

The Slightest Deception

By the time Jag arrived back with everyone close behind him, Adam and I were both dressed and sitting innocently downstairs watching TV in the living room. They came crashing in with tons of bags.

"Hello beautiful," Jag murmured as he plopped down next to me. I smiled at him and he leaned down to peck me on the lips. The last person these lips connected with was Adam, and now Jag was kissing away the final traces of our escapade upstairs. I didn't feel remorse for cheating on him, to be honest. I felt a little thrill of excitement. I smiled at Adam quickly and hoped this didn't make me a sociopath.

"Here," Jag blushed, dropping a bag down on my lap. I winced internally. He had dropped that right on the cuts on my legs.

"What is it?" I asked, not knowing if it was okay to open it.

"Well, open it up and find out. I got it for you," Jag smiled. Now I kinda felt guilty. Jag was oblivious to the fact that one of his best friends and his girlfriend just had sex.

This aside, I still opened up the bag. Inside I found a black and purple Rob Zombie t-shirt and the newest Marilyn Manson CD.

"Oh, this is great! Thank you!" I exclaimed, then kissed Jag on the lips. Jag smiled back at me.

"Oh, and Jag. Thanks again for this awesome skirt," Zoe sneered, looking directly at me and holding up a very short skirt.

"Alright Zoe, just fucking stop!" Abbie yelled, "You get this whole intervention, something Roxie never got, and you continue to shove it back in her face. Jag doesn't like you, so stop acting like you have some fucking connection with him, because you don't. Ever since you started hanging out with Nickole you've been a complete bitch!"

Everyone was shocked at Abbie's sudden outburst. I myself was speechless. Zoe's mouth flopped open and she gaped at Abbie.

Finally, Veronica got the courage to speak. "Look guys. I missed it when we were all friends. People make mistakes. We forgive and forget those mistakes and move on with our lives. So please. Make up?"

"I'm not apologizing. I did nothing wrong," I announced. Abbie looked at me and nodded.

"Zoe?" Veronica asked.

Zoe sighed heavily, but still said, "I'm sorry."

"I forgive you," I replied. Although I forgave her and acted very calm, I was fuming inside. I didn't mean what I said. The thing is, Zoe's gotten a few too many chances before this. I considered her actions this time to be unforgivable, but everyone expected me to forgive her along with everyone else. She didn't deserve the forgiveness of anyone anymore. She should be proving herself.

And another thing...I knew we weren't going to remain the same kind of friends that we were before and this thought broke my heart. I knew the mindlink was gone, and no matter how hard we forced it to come back, it wouldn't be. I knew that we would no longer be talking for endless hours on the phone or instant messaging each other in the wee hours of the night. I knew that someone else would be first from now on. I had an itching feeling that I would become the backup friend, there for them when no one else was.

I don't know how, but I had all these feelings within a half hour of Zoe apologizing. I realized how alone I was going to be. It tore a hole inside my heart and midsection. I was teetering on the edge of having a silent mental breakdown. I fought it off with what little willpower I had left.

"Now Zoe and Adam, you two make the cutest couple. You guys should forgive each other," Veronica suggested. Zoe got up from her seat by the window and sauntered over to Adam.

"Adam, I know we've both been through some hard times, but I want you to know that we're back together now," she stated, then kissed him passionately on the lips. The stupid bitch, what made her think he wanted to get back with her now? I was the only one who wasn't clapping.

__________

I wearily climbed the stairs to Jag's room. Everyone who came to Zoe's intervention was spending the night, and I didn't really wanna sit down there and listen to them gossip. I was tired and I really needed to check my MySpace.

I decided that a shower would probably calm me down, so I trudged there first. The whole thing passed in a blur. I took off my clothes, changed my bandages, and washed my body. I didn't really feel like washing my hair because I already had in the morning, so I pulled it back in a ponytail after my other one was gently tore out by Adam's roaming hands. I smiled at the memory.

When I got out, I realized that I had, yet again, forgotten to bring some clothes in with me. I didn't wanna change back into my jeans because it hurt my aching body. So I dried off and wrapped a towel around me and ventured out into Jag's room. Someone covered my eyes as soon as I was out the door.

"Boo."

"Ooh, scary one Adam," I smirked and turned around. Adam was standing there smirking at me.

"I couldn't help it," Adam said, referring to my what-are-you-doing stare. "I heard the water running."

"Were you hoping to join me?" I asked.

"Of course. But the door was locked," he said, pouting.

"Well, I was just getting some clothes, if you'll excuse me for a moment," I smiled. Adam groaned. I turned around and went to the drawer. Inside, I heard the clinking of the bottles, which stopped my heart. I muttered a few obscenities and pushed them to the side.

"Is that how you got those...whatever happened to your body?" Adam asked, so close behind me that it made me jump.

"Y-Yeah," I whispered. "I just don't want Jag to find them. He'd be disappointed."

"Do you want me to take them for you?" Adam asked me. I looked up at him.

"You would do that? I mean..."

"I wouldn't have...done anything with you if I wasn't willing to keep a few secrets and do a few favors," Adam told me.

"Oh, thank you," I breathed. Adam took the bag and emptied it of the bottles. He put them in his own bag.

"I'll go put these in Donny's recycling," Adam said as he wrapped an arm around my waist. I giggled as a response.

"I'll be waiting in the computer room," I murmured. Adam kissed me on the lips. We parted and I grabbed some clothes.

Then I heard someone walking up the stairs. I ran quickly into the bathroom and shut the door. I could hear Adam walk out just as someone walked in.

"Adam?" Jag asked questioningly, "What are you doing up here?"

"I was on the computer, and I had to go to the bathroom. I think Roxie's in there, though," Adam lied smoothly.

"Oh, okay. Are you phsyched about this intervention or what?" Jag never failed to bring it up in a conversation.

"Y-yeah. It's great. I'm gonna...go for a walk," Adam said. Then I heard his boots clunk down the stairs. Jag walked in, stopped for a minute, then walked out. I sighed in relief that everything had gone well. I loved Jag, but I was pretty sure I loved Adam, too. I wish I could tell Jag, I'm sure he's understand. Wouldn't he? No, he probably wouldn't. He'd be offended and angry. I would feel horrible. So it was best I didn't tell him.

I hung up my towel and gathered up my clothes. I stepped out of the bathroom and dumped my clothes into the hamper. I padded out of the bathroom wearing my favorite pajamas - a pink pair of pajama bottoms with cherries and skulls on them and a way-too-big Avenged Sevenfold t-shirt.

The computer room was warm, as always, because I tend to leave the computer on. It just makes it more convenient when I need to use it. I plopped down in the huge, comfy computer chair and automatically made myself comfortable by turning in the seat and throwing my legs over the arm. I brought up the Internet and typed in the web address for MySpace. I signed in and realized how much mail I had. There were were 4 messages, 3 photo comment approval requests, and 3 friend requests.

I clicked on the mail first. Three of the messages were chain letters from Kori and some bitch at my school, so I deleted them without reading them. The other message was from a friend of mine, Ryan, who moved away two years ago. We kept in contact through MySpace. The current message regarded the vampirism that he claimed to have. I played along, not wanting to make him feel bad.

Next, I approved all the photo comments and friend requests. One was Adam, so I clicked on his profile. He had some pretty hot pictures on there, if I do say so myself.

"Stalking me, hm?"

"Jesus Christ!" I cried, jumping out of my seat in fright. "You have a way of sneaking up on me!"

"It's all in the job description," he smirked. I shook my head. He pulled a chair up next to me and sat down, watching my movements. I talked to myself when I was on the computer, yelling at my fingers for not typing correctly or contemplating what site I should go to next. Adam smirked every time I did this.

"When can I come over?" I asked suddenly, taking Adam by surprise.

"Well, my parents are out tomorrow, so you could come over then," Adam suggested. "You'd have to come up with an alibi, though, because I'm pretty sure that Jag wouldn't let his beautiful girlfriend come over to his friend's house and spend the night."

"I have the perfect idea!" I exclaimed, knowing it automatically. I jumped up from my seat, telling Adam to stay where he was to eliminate suspicion. I bounded down the steps as quickly and carefully as I could with my legs in as much pain as they were. I came up to the living room, where mostly everyone was in a circle gossiping. There were just a few exceptions - me, Adam, Abbie, and Aydin.

"Um, Abbie?" I asked.

"Yes!" she exclaimed, looking up at me.

"Could you come here a minute please? I have a question about Oli Sykes," I lied.

"Coming!" she sang, jumping off the couch and leaping over to me. I pulled her into the kitchen.

"You needed my expertise about the wonderful Oli Sykes?" she asked, smiling.

"Actually, no, I'm sorry. I have another question...thing."

"Okay, shoot."

"Are you busy tomorrow?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Title credit goes to Ex Machina by A Skylit Drive.
Zoe will come to her senses, as will Roxie. I promise.
(Kinda)
xoxo.