‹ Prequel: Painful Lullaby
Status: Finished.

Jagged Edge

I Want To Fly Away

"Airport!" I exclaimed, jumping off of Jag's shoulder. He was smiling at me.

"Yes, Roxie. Airport! Now let's go!" Jag said, his voice laced with excitement. The both of us leapt up out of our seats, hand in hand, and ran out of the van. Zoe and Adam followed us.

We jumped out of the van and almost ran into Aydin, who was lugging around a few bags behind him. Adam and Zoe jumped out onto us and knocked us down onto the ground.

"So immature," Veronica scoffed, walking next to Donny. He had his arm around her shoulders but she was keeping her distance from him.

"Coming from the girl who won't even touch her boyfriend!" Abbie yelled accusingly, pointing dramatically at Veronica.

"He's not my boyfriend," Veronica defended, her face turning darker and darker red. She glared at all of us, who had completely cut off all motion in order to watch her. Nobody spoke for a few moments, so I felt I'd take it upon myself to break said silence.

"You're blushing," I pointed out. I could feel Zoe, who was partially laying on me, laughing silently. Jag looked like he was trying to contain his laughter by biting his lip and making a really contorted face.

"I know!" Veronica shouted. She turned away from all of us and started to walk away. Donny turned back to us, gave us a bewildered look, then followed after her.

"C'mon," Kori sighed, following after the both of them. I sprang up off the ground, closed the van door, and pulled Jag after Kori, Bryce, Donny, and Veronica in the blink of an eye.

"Hey, not fair!" Zoe exclaimed, running after us. Soon enough, everyone was chasing everyone else through the parking structure. Once we made it into the airport itself, everyone stopped. All we could see was line after line after line of people.

"Shit," Abbie breathed in bewilderment. All the rest of us could do was nod.

"C'mon, our thing is this way," Aydin said, motioning for us to follow by jerking his head toward an empty-looking area. We followed him awkwardly as he walked up to the counter. He quietly conversed with the attendant there. She took his bags, weighed them, then set them on a conveyor belt behind her desk. Aydin walked back to join us, empty handed.

"Are you guys coming with me into the terminal or are you leaving right noW?" Aydin asked.

"Well, I kinda planned on us going into the terminal with you," Abbie said. We all nodded in agreement.

"We're gonna have to go through security then," Aydin brought to our attention. When nobody responded negatively, he shrugged and told us to follow him. We went and stood at the back of the line. It was probably twenty people long before we got there, but now it stood in the thirties.

"I feel like I'm waiting in line for a nightclub," Abbie exclaimed. Kori was bouncing around in spot and Bryce was chattering incessantly to her about something his mom made for dinner. Veronica and Donny were standing silently nexr to each other, glaring at anyone who happened to look in their general direction. Abbie and Aydin were holding hands and looking into one another's eyes, enjoying their last moments together for a week. Adam and Zoe had their hands in each other's pockets. Jag and I had our arms wrapped tightly around one another's waist.

"Please remove your shoes, coats, sweatshirts, hats, hair accessories, jewelery, and anything in your pockets and put them in one of these containers," a security guard instructed us as we walked into the security area. I would wear my goddamned Converse boots on a day like this. It took forever to get them on. Not to mention all the other things I had in my hair. I sighed and began stripping off my boots and hoodie, then pulled out my hair clips and took off my necklaces. Veronica was having just as much fun as me, tearing out her headbands and yanking off her boots.

One by one, we started walking through the metal detector. Aydin went through first without a problem. Donny followed him, then Adam, Abbie, Bryce, me, and Kori. We all crossed without a problem. Veronica came next and the metal detector set off the alarm. The security guard instructed her to walk back.

"Do you have everything out of your pockets?" the woman guard asked. Veronica did a quick pat-down of herself.

"There's nothing in there," she said.

"Do you happen to be wearing a underwire bra?" she asked, looking curiously at Veronica. We all watched with amusement as Veronica's face turned a darker red that it had before.

"Yes. I am," she spat. Everyone on the opposite side of the metal detector cracked up laughing at her reply. She couldn't hurt us over here, not unless she wanted to run over and get attacked and thrown in jail by several manly security guards.

"There is a bathroom right over there. If you could please remove your bra..." the security guard trailed off as Veronica stomped over to the bathrooms. Everyone behind Veronica was ushered through and none of them had a problem.

While we waited for Veronica to remove her bra, everyone pulled on their shoes and hoodies and all the girls helped each other put their hair accessories back in place.

Finally, Veronica came storming back over to the metal detector, clutching her bra in her trembling fist. She threw the bra into a container and walked through the metal detector.

Yet again, it beeped.

The security guard walked over to Veronica and instructed her to hold her arms up. We were all cracking up as quietly as we could, but it was so hard considering we were watching our most introverted friend being felt up by a security guard at an airport because she kept setting the alarm off.

The security guard reached Veronica's hips, then lifted her shirt slightly and pointed to her studded belt.

"Oh come on!" Veronica cried, walking back out from the metal detector and taking off her belt. She threw it in yet another container and walked back through the arch of the metal detector.

Nothing. Happened.

The guard stopped Veronica to apologize to her while Zoe and I went to inspect Veronica's bra. Zoe poked it quickly, like she was scared it would eat her. It unfolded and revealed that it was a lacy, black, see-through bra, equipped with a quick-release snap.

"Are you thinking what I'm thinking?" I asked. Zoe nodded, then picked up the bra, hid it behind her back, and walked back over to our group.

"Donny, were you and Veronica going out later?" I asked innocently. Donny turned to look at me, confused.

"Yeah, tonight we were going on a date. Why?" He looked from me to Zoe, who had a smile spreading slowly across her face, as wide and sly as the Cheshire Cat's.

"Oh, well, we had a...premonition, if you will, about her outfit for tonight," Zoe said, looking at me out of the corner of her eyes several times.

"Why? What whas she wearing?" Donny still looked confused, and now slightly scared.

"This!" Zoe cried, tossing the bra into Donny's hands. He caught it and looked at it, then looked at Veronica, who was walking up to our group. Donny's eyes widened with terror as he saw the furious expression on her face.

"You fucking pervert! Gimme back my bra!" she screeched, snatching the bra out of his hands. He stood there, trying to make words come out of his gaping mouth.

"I-I...It wasn't...Zoe! Roxie!" he stuttered. Veronica had her eye raised at him suspiciously.

"I'm going to go put this back on," she muttered, heading toward the bathroom.

"Do you want some help?" Donny called after her.

"NO!" She yelled, walking faster because Veronica's number one rule was never to run unless there is a worse fate if you don't. Donny fell back, his spirits appearing dampened. Nobody said anything for a moment.

"Cock-block," Abbie coughed, then looked around. "What? That wasn't me! Was that you?" Donny glared at her menacingly.

"It's not funny!" Donny cried like a child who had lost a game of hop-scotch.

"And that, Donald, is where you are wrong," Bryce said with an accent that I suppose was to make him sound smarter. "This is quite hilarious."

"Call me Donald one more time and we'll see who's laughing then," Donny growled, stepping closer to Bryce. I remembered that Donny's real name was, in fact, Donnovan.

"Hey, hey! No need to be so uptight just 'cause somebody's not getting laid tonight," Bryce laughed.

"Shut up dude! I wanted tonight to be special!" Donny groaned.

"Woah, woah, woah. Stop." Abbie said, sounding oddly like a stoner. "You've never gotten laid?"

"No! What the hell do you think this whole conversation is about?!" Donny shouted.

"That's too bad. A man's sex peak is at 18 years old," I said, shaking my head.

"Shame, isn't it?" Zoe asked me.

"That it is, my friend. That it is."

Donny just glared and shook his head until Veronica came back. Both of them looked very intensely pissed off, giving that don't-fuck-with-me-Imma-biker look.

"What time do you need to be at your gate?" I asked Aydin. He looked up, startled.

"Um, not for four more hours, but we can go there now just to sit down," Aydin said, shrugging.

"Let's play truth or dare!" Zoe exclaimed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Title credit goes to Lenny Kravitz.
Please please please comment this. I'm debating whether I should end this or not.
xoxo.