Forever Is Fine

One.

Snow flurried around outside while the coffee steamed from the frothy white cup; everything seemed better with coffee. Sitting at the desk in front of the window Destery could see the kids running around playing and the parents shoveling the snow from their cars; Loudoun, Virginia always had a blizzard during Christmas.

“Destery, why don’t you go play in the snow for a while?” her mother called from the kitchen; she knew her daughter thrived in school and was always working; she was barely seventeen.

“I don’t think I should be playing in snow.” Destery hissed as if snow would hurt her; school was closed and now she would have more work to do.

“If you say so.” her mother, Alex, sighed. Her daughter was more of a workaholic than her biological father was. Brushing her chestnut brown hair from her face, Alex went back to washing dishes.

Biting her pink lips, Destery began typing up her five page report on China and why she would like to travel there someday; it had always been a dream. Destery could hear her mother walking around the kitchen humming; since her father left Destery always remembered her mother humming.

Looking up from the computer, Destery took a sip from her steaming coffee before looking out the window; older kids were now playing around in the snow, laughing and building snowmen. Kyle Woods, Destery’s friend, stood outside smiling, trying to get her attention by waving his gloved hands in the air. Laughing, Destery stood and pushed her brown curls away from her eyes before walking to the white front door and waving him over.

Snow covered his blonde hair and his blue eyes held life while he walked over, “Come out and play Des.”

Destery pulled her green long sleeved shirt over her hands; something she did when she got nervous, you could say it was an insecurity, “I have work to do.”

She watched as Kyle frowned, “You always work. And school is closed.”

“Sorry.” Looking at Kyle, Destery gave him a small smile before closing the door and returning back to her seat at the window. She watched Kyle shake his head and walk back over to his house; a frown was placed upon his lips.

Destery had met Kyle back in the eighth grade; he was tall and lanky but very smart, his hair was cut short then and his face was round with acne; Destery didn’t care because…well...she looked the same. One thing they had in common was that they both loved to read.

Every afternoon after school Destery would venture over to Kyle’s house and they would lock themselves in his room before laying down and discussing the books they were reading; something that they still did when they weren’t busy.

As Destery began to type she didn’t realize it was getting later in the day until her mother tapped her shoulder, “Can you go get the mail?”

Slipping her coffee colored boots on, Destery wrapped a thin jacket around her torso before walking from the front door; children had already begun to go in for hot chocolate their parents had probably made. Snow lined the roads and sidewalks as did ice and slush, Destery pushed open the mailbox and grabbed the few envelopes that were stuffed in the back.

Looking down at the first letter Destery could see that it was addressed to William; a friend of hers that had died in the first part of the year, cancer had taken his life at seventeen years old. Tears came to Destery’s chocolate brown eyes as she looked for the name of the person who sent it; Tanner from North Carolina.

Who was Tanner from North Carolina? William had never mentioned him, not that she could remember anyway. Obviously he had gotten the house number wrong; William had lived down the road from her in house number sixteen; her number was sixty-one. Had this Tanner really been so out of the loop not to know that her friend had died?

Was it wrong to want to read the letter? Was it wrong that she wanted to know how Tanner had known William?

Sniffling back the tears, Destery trudged back into the warm house and sat down at the desk. Her hands shook as she opened the letter and begun to read.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you like it. Please give feedback.