Forever Is Fine

Thirteen.

Destery sat in front of her window, behind her desk, looking out into the stretch of land. Cars ventured out of their driveways onto the still icy roads, not knowing if they would make it safely back home. Snow still flurried from the wasteland, known as the sky. Children did not run about, and pets stayed inside. Destery glanced at her clock, and then listened to her mother moved around in the kitchen. Steam floated from the doorway, and carried delicious smells to her. She stretched as if she were a cat, and then moved gracefully across the living room floor to her mother’s domain, “Who are were cooking for?” She asked curiously, and looked pointedly at the three placements on the table.

Her mother gave her a weak smile, “Well honey, Tim’s going to come over.”

At the sound of his name, Destery flinched, “Dad’s coming over, why?” Her father had hardly ever come home when Destery was first born; he did this until she was seven. Then one day, he just never came home. Alex had to answer Destery’s questions about where her father had gone, and was it her fault. Years after that, Destery deserted her faith in anything and put her passion into work.

“He wants to talk to you about uh-something.” Alex , came over and took Destery’s hand before leading her over to sit, “Your uh- father is getting remarried at the end of the school year and he wanted to know if you would be willing to be one of the bridesmaids. It’s going to be down in NC, and then they’re flying off to Rome for a while. He offered to take you with them, you know, let you experience traveling around.” Destery sat there in shock. “Baby, say something.” She blinked and swiveled to the sound of a knock. “That must be him.” Her mother bustled out to the living room, and opened the door. She exchanged pleasantries, and invited him in.

Destery took this time to escape from the kitchen and into her room. She shut the door, before sitting upon her bed. Destery heard her father ask, “Is she here?” Her mother must have nodded.

Destery breathed in and out from her nose and looked down at herself. She shook her head in disgust, and shuffled her way to her dresser. She pulled out a mauve sweater out, and a pair of blue jeans. She changed and took a breath before walking out to her parents. Her father was now seated on the couch and her mother sat in a chair, “Father.” She seethed, when she really wanted to cry out.
♠ ♠ ♠
Finally!