Forever Is Fine

Three.

Throwing the letter onto to desk with everything else she had, Destery ripped a blank piece of paper from the notebook and grabbed a pencil. Taking a deep breath, she begun to write:

Dear Tanner,

I don't know who you are or what you were to William-other than his best friend but I'm sorry to say that Will is dead. He died in the beginning of the year from cancer-they couldn't do anything about it once they had discovered it.

As to why I'm writing this letter to you: you had the address wrong. Also because I wanted to let you know that my friend and obviously yours-had died.

If you'd like, you could tell me the long story about your sister's father. Maybe it'll feel like you're telling William.

Writing this letter instead of William,

Destery.

Re-reading what she had written, Destery nodded out of satisfaction and folded it into a rectangle before getting up to find a white envelope and placing it there.

"Destery, dinner's ready." her mother called from the kitchen; her voice carrying over-as if an echo.

Placing the unsealed letter on the desk, Destery stood up and walked to the kitchen; candles were placed around the room and flowers stood as the center piece on the tiled table while food sat on the white china plates, "Looks good."

"Well, sit and eat child."

Doing as she was told, Destery took her place at the side of the table and began eating; her mother bowed her head and began to pray without her.

Thinking back to when Destery last prayed she could say her age was seven and it was Thanksgiving. Everything was simple then; school work was easier, kids made friends with everybody and everyone thought you were adorable.

After eating, Destery shoved her feet into her shoes and grabbed her mother's coat, "I'll be back in a minute." she yelled before grabbing the letter and made her way from the house. Shaking her head, Alex gathered the dishes and walked to the kitchen. She had never seen her daughter this excited for something-something she didn't know about.

The wind rushed past her face and snow rested upon her hair as she walked to her mailbox; she had hopes that this Tanner person would write back in the next couple of days-or even write back to her. Sealing the letter with a lick of her lips, Destery shoved it in her mailbox and pulled the red flag up; hoping that the mailman would see it in the snow.
♠ ♠ ♠
I really hope you like this. Actually, I'm sitting in a freezing cold room right now writing this; so my hands are really frozen. Still, I hope you enjoy reading this. And thank you for all the comments; they mean a lot to us.