Forever Is Fine

Nine.

The phone call came first and then the news had come second. Kyle, the only guy who Destery could actually call a friend, had been in a car accident. His parents said he was hit head on while coming back from taking pictures and that he had made it; only suffering a broken arm and a few scratches but the doctor’s wanted to keep him for a few days. Tears had welled up in her eyes, her nose was pink from sniffling, and she hurried to find some article of clothing to cover up with; as she was dressed in blue shorts and white t-shirt.

“Sweetheart you okay?” her mother called from the hallway, her feet shuffled as she got closer, tears rolled down Destery’s round face faster as her mother got closer.

Clearing her voice a little, Destery answered back, “Yeah. Kyle’s in the hospital and I need-ouch!” Destery screamed as she hit her pinkie toe on the side of her orange dresser, “Fudger-monkey!” she mumbled as she hopped her bed, her mother peeked in before mumbling to herself and then walking back out. Trying to hurry Destery slipped into grey jogging pants and pulled her soccer hoodie over her head and pushed her boots over her feet. Destery swiped the loose tears from her face and ran down the hall and out the front door; grabbing the keys on her way out.

The sky was grey and snow smothered the deserted road as Destery urged her car faster towards the open hospital. Different colored cars made their way in and out of the tiny place; patients in wheel chairs were pushed around outside, some hurriedly to cars and others back into the building, and Doctor’s took their breaks on the backside of the building.
Destery parked her navy blue car on the side parking lot and got out. Snow fell quickly to the ground as she rushed into the main doors and up to the front desk where a red headed receptionist sat typing away at the computer, “Excuse me, can you direct me towards Kyle Wood’s room?”

Without looking up the receptionist pointed down the hall and murmured, “two-oh-three, on your right. Have a nice day.” Her tone was bored and you could tell she would much rather be somewhere else.

Giving a quick thanks, Destery darted down the stark white hallway; she glanced at the numbers on the right before coming upon room 203. Kyle’s name was inserted in the white tab. Destery knocked and waited for the barely audible ‘come in’ before proceeding into the hospital room. She could see Kyle laying there; his right arm in a cast and a few scratches along his face. She smiled and went to his side, “Hey.” She whispered to him, his eyes drooped but he still managed a small smile.

“Hi.” His voice was rough and scratchy, “Mom called you didn’t she?”

Tears welled up in her eyes, “Yeah. How are you feeling?” she took Kyle’s good hand in hers and squeezed tightly; letting the tears drip in between their linked hands.

“I’m not dying Des.” Kyle sighed and then laughed, “Stop looking at me like that.”

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry.” She chanted before giving him a kiss on the side of his cheek, “I better go.” Kyle nodded and watched her walk from the room; tears gathered in his eyes.

Destery tried to wipe the tears from her eyes but more came to be in their place. She didn’t know why she was crying so much. Kyle said he was fine, he looked fine, other than the broken arm and scratches, and the doctor’s certainly didn’t seem worried since none of them were even in the room. Destery chuckled at herself as she came from the hospital, the sky was turning a light pink color; signaling that it was the afternoon. Walking to her car Destery thought of Tanner and his sister, and then she started to feel guilty that she was thinking of them and not Kyle. “Get a grip. Kyle will be home tomorrow.” She scolded herself before sliding into her car, turning it on, and driving away.

__________Image

Music played quietly while Destery turned into the Java Shack, a local coffee shop Kyle would take Destery to sometimes after a long day at school. Couples hurried into the Shack, their hands intertwined, as well as lone individuals, their bags hung over their shoulders carelessly. Destery parked her car and got out; the snow had stopped for once while the sun peeked out from the grey clouds. ‘Maybe we’ll have school tomorrow.’ she thought while walking to the large front door and going in.

It was quiet and peaceful; most had books in their hands while the others snuggled to their partners and whispered sweet nothings to each other. Putting her head down, Destery walked to the counter and waited for someone to take her orders.

“What can I get you?” he said in a bored tone, not even bothering to look up.

Destery glanced at him, his brown hair barely covered his eyes, “Um- I’ll take a vanilla latte, please.” She watched as her swiftly wrote her order down, his fingers gripping the pen tightly; his knuckles had turned white, “Uh- are you okay?”

At that he looked up, his eyes were hazel, you could see the burning passion in them, “Yeah. Are you okay?” Destery shook her head slowly up and down before glancing back to the small tablet he had in his hands. “Would you like anything else with your order?” he then asked; his voice changed to a low husky sound. She shook her head no. “Then please go to the other counter. Thanks.”

Destery walked the five steps to the other side of the counter; her eyes followed the guy as he made her drink. His posture was poised and elegant, something Destery wouldn’t have thought someone like him would show, his shoulders were broad, they pushed on the dark blue shirt he wore; making it look as if he had muscle but in truth he was a tall, poised, average built guy.

He turned to find her staring at him, a small smile crept on his lips, “Here you go.” he said and sat her drink upon the counter, “That’ll be two dollars and fifty cents.”

Destery nodded and pulled three dollars from her pocket, “Keep the change.” She grabbed her hot drink and walked to an empty chair and sat down. She looked out the window and sipped at her latte; her thought went to Kyle and how he was feeling. He probably was in pain and he wouldn’t tell her, something was probably wrong with him and he wouldn’t tell her, she probably hurt him when she squeezed his hand. She hoped he would get to come home tomorrow and if he did she would go spend the day with him after school; that is, if they had school.

__________Image

“Are you finished with that?” the guy from before asked and pointed to her cup sitting on the small table beside the chair. Destery shook her head yes and watched him take her cup and refill it before coming back and sitting it down, “It’s on the house.” he said to her questioning look, “You look like you need it.” he teased.

“Thanks ..-um”

“Walker. I’m Walker” He looked around, check to see if anyone else was watching, before pulling up a chair in front of her and sat down.

“Thanks Walker.”

“So my question from before, are you okay?”

“Perfectly okay.” she said with a cheerful voice. Destery knew she was okay, she just-she was just sad that her friend had been in a car accident.

“Alright, well I have to get back to work but if you want to talk, here’s my number.” Walker stood up and handed her a slip of paper and then walked off. Shoving the number in her pocket, Destery grabbed her coffee and walked out the door and to her car.
♠ ♠ ♠
I really hope you like this. And thanks to everyone who has commented so far and all of the subscribers.