Want Your Bad Romance

Roma Roma Ma

"Oh, I'm sorry, Pat," I told my friend and fellow author Patrice Kindl through the phone. "I really wish I could. A children's benefit sounds like fun, and I would love to help out kids, you know I would. But I'm busy that night."

I did love kids, and Pat was one of my closest friends, but I really did have prior plans.

"Aw, that's okay, hon."

"I really am sorry."

"I know. We'll do something together another time, alright?"

"I can't wait. Thanks, Pat."

"Sure, Jen. Bye."

I hung up the phone and placed it on the arm of the couch. Lacey laid her head in my lap and I scratched her behind the ear thoughtfully.

~

I was at another premiere with Amy. The one I had forgone a children's benefit for.

She was stopping every so often to pose with me for the paparazzi. One flash was brighter and closer to me than I expected, and I stumbled backward. I felt my back collide with someone else's. I turned around to apologize and met the face of Johnny Depp, his girlfriend Vanessa Paradis at his side.

"I'm sorry," he began. "I should pay more attention to where I'm walking."

"Oh, no, it was completely my fault," I protested.

"We've met before, haven't we?" he asked. "You're Jennifer, right? Jennifer Riley?"

"Yes, I'm flattered you remember."

"Well, it was nice to see you again. Maybe we'll see each other inside."

"Likewise," I told him. "Until then," I said with a sort of half-wave, then caught up with Amy.

~

Around halfway through the movie, my bladder began to protest. The show was moving quite slowly, and hadn't caught my attention yet, so I quickly and quietly made my way to the aisle and out into the lobby.

I found the narrow hallway that led to the restrooms. Just as I started down it, squinting in the darkness toward the door labeled "women," the door across from it opened and Johnny Depp stepped out.

"Oh, I'm sorry, Jennifer," he said, and stepped back into the doorway, motioning "after you."

For some reason, the fact that he'd recognized me in the dim light struck a cord. Feeling a bit awkward because of his chivalry, I quietly said, "Thank you," and stepped into the ladies' room.

~

After the movie, I was meandering the lobby, looking over the various posters of shows the theater had hosted, and generally avoiding the fake personalities I was surrounded by. Waiters with drinks and hors d'oeuvres were roaming. I approached a waiter, who held his serving tray of champagne flutes out to me.

I took one with a "thank you," then turned and nearly spilled it down the front of Johnny Depp's dapper outfit.

"I'm so sorry," I said. Not a drop was spilt, but I apologized anyway. "I've really got to practice walking."

He chuckled. "We just keep running into each other, don't we?" I took his words quite literally, as I'm sure he intended them.

"I'm sorry," I said again.

"Oh, don't be sorry. I'm sure some of the fault is mine." He smiled slightly as he reached for a champagne flute behind me, and my heart did a flip.

"Cheers," he said and held up his glass.

"Cheers," I answered, and our glasses clinked softly. We each took a sip, neither breaking eye contact.

"So how have you come to be here, Miss Riley?" he asked conversationally.

"I'm with Amy Adams. Again. We grew up together."

"May I ask what you do for a living?"

Slightly hesitant, I responded, "I'm an author."

"Ah," he said. "And do you live around here?"

"Yes," I said slowly. "May I ask – why all the questions?"

He chuckled. I was getting used to the melodic laugh. "Well, you know more about me than I know of you. I was hoping to level the playing field, so to speak."

"You may assume too much, Mr. Depp," I said as I fought a cringe. I felt like I was in a cheesy movie taking place in the nineteen century.

"Forgive me," he said.

I dipped my head in response, trying to stave off my awkwardness, and took a sip of champagne. "So how have you come to be here tonight?" I asked him, stealing his first question.

"Indie films," he said simply. "I'm told they're great for publicity."

"And did you enjoy the show?"

"Not nearly as much as I hoped I would. You?"

"I was fairly disappointed as well. Nothing really seemed to happen –"

"Johnny, darling! There you are!" Vanessa appeared suddenly. "Come, come. You must talk to these people." She tugged on his arm. He smiled at me.

"Well, I'll see you later, maybe?"

"Sure," I said, and he let his girlfriend lead him away.
♠ ♠ ♠
I swore to myself I would update by today at the latest. I really hope the story gets going soon. (XD I should know, right?) I promise chapter four will kick things off. So... I hope you enjoyed this chapter! And if you didn't, please comment and let me know why! *hands out free e-cookies* yes, that's bribery. ^_~