Status: WE'RE BACK AT IT, KIDS.

Within You, Without You

The Night I Depended on a Hat With My Fate, Ultimately.

I sat down in a chair in front of Dumbledore's desk, and just looked around the place in wonder. This place was like a dream come true for me. Trinkets everywhere! I could really waste days being locked and here and being completely fine.

I looked at Dumbledore and saw that he was smiling patiently at me, waiting for me to be able to focus on what we were about to discuss. I smiled apologetically for my distractions, and he took it as a cue to start talking. "Alright, Lucy, why don't you start talking, and tell me everything that you know of the magical world of witches and wizards."

I took a breath. "I know they exist, and that I am one" I stated, and we both chuckled a bit. "I've been going from foster home to foster home of people who aren't magical-"

"Muggles," Dumbledore piped in.

"Muggles?" I questioned. What the hell is a muggle?

"Muggles. Non-magic folk. I take it, that after your parents died you were brought to an orphanage and lived with a muggle foster family," Dumbledore assumed.

"Well, more than one in the end. But yeah. Anyway, so the last time I had a connection to this world was when I was six when my...my parents died." I said, looking away. It's even harder than usual to talk about their death in the place they grew up.

Dumbledore's face was sympathetic. "Your parents were noble. Their only fault was that they were too noble. Do you know how they died?"

I felt my eyes get a bit prickly around the edges. Not even five minutes in this place and I already have tears in my eyes. "I...I try to erase it from my mind, but at the same time I try to preserve the memory, so that I never forget their faces..." I said, lost in my memories. I looked at Dumbledore. "My parents were killed. I do not know who the two that killed them were, but their horrid eyes sometimes terrorize me at night. "

"I know this is hard for you. I'm sorry to make you relive this, but believe me, I need this all now and everything afterwards will be easier." I nodded and he continued. "Do you remember that night they were killed?"

I nodded. "It's been ten years now, just about...but, for the most part...I remember...I remember that it was December, the cold air found it's way into the house...And I remember the two coming in...and killing my parents...and there was a green light as they laughed...the, the two turned to me, snickered, and left..."

Dumbledore nodded sadly. "Yes, I believe that the reason they left you alive was that they felt their revenge was done. The people who killed your parents were what we call Death Eaters. The Death Eaters are the followers of the powerful and evil wizard Voldemort..."

For the next two hours, Dumbledore gave me an incredibly detailed history of the wizarding world around here and what has been happening the past couple of years at Hogwarts. I paid attention thoroughly the entire time, not wanting to miss one single detail.

"Now, to get on to your schooling," Dumbledore said, finally allowing a smile that has not been on his face for a while now. I nodded and smiled back. This was what I was waiting for. "You are fifteen right now, are you not?"

I nodded. "Yes, and I turn sixteen November third."

"Alright, so if you came when you were eleven like the other witches and wizards you'd be in your fifth year. Your parents wish, they told me, was for you to go here, no matter where they ended up. I plan to come through to their wish. We have three months before the school opens up in September, and the teachers will be arriving over the next day or so to help you catch up during these months. Although, we are still looking for a Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, so I believe I will just teach you that before the school session officially begins. Does that sound alright?"

I nodded excited. "That sounds great. Thank you, so much. Really," I replied honestly. I cannot even remember the last time I was given such hospitality.

"Not a worry. Now, one more thing, before you go to bed," He said, getting up and going to the cabinet. He pulled out a ratty old looking wizard hat. "This, is the sorting hat. The sorting hat will place you in one of four houses that we have at Hogwarts: Gryffindor, the brave, Hufflepuff, the loyal, Ravenclaw, the witty, or Slytherin the cunning."

Before he placed the hat on my head I had a question. "Dumbledore? What house were my parents in?"

He smiled. "Your father was a Ravenclaw, your mother a Gryffindor." And then placed the hat on my head.

"Ah! Miss Lucy Loretta Maude! How absolutely wonderful to be atop your head at this fine hour. Very odd timing, no doubt, but better late than never, as I always say! Let's have a look-see in that head of yours and see where you belong, aye?" I stared up in amazement at the talking hat. Now this was something new. "Tsk, tsk, tsk. That's some life you have lived. You're only fifteen! To think to be able to go back to that age! Ha! But I digress...Let's see. You seem to have traits of every single house, you know? You're cunning, you're a good finder, you creative and intelligent, and you're brave...You know though, I think that behind everything that you have done, no matter what, bravery was behind it. I will put you in...Gryffindor!"

I smiled, as Dumbledore took the hat off. I was sorted into my mother's house.

"Well now, if you go down the stairs, Professor McGonagall, the Head of Gryffindor, is waiting for you. Sleep well, Lucy. For tomorrow, your classes begin."
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry how long this took to get out! I've been wicked busy. Ugh. And getting sick....and living life. haha. But seriously. I'll try and be better, I don't work until Friday night, so fingers crossed I can update better. I hope everyone had a good new years!! A new thanks to Tony Stonem for the comment. You all should give me feedback as well, it'll make me want to update even more!! =D Sorry this one was a bit short, but I think it had much vital information right? Well, after the next one, everything will be getting interesting I believe (or maybe I'll just briefly discuss everything and go onto when everyone comes back hmm...)

What the hell is a Hufflepuff??? -if you know what this is from, I love you <3