Status: active

We Made Our Way Dreaming

Photograph

My room was exactly the same way I had left it. I had expected my mom to come clean it through or something. But everything was exactly where I had put it the day I left. The same posters hung the walls, reminding me of my childhood heroes. I remembered sitting on my bed, listening to their words over and over again blasting through my speakers. How many days had I spent wishing to be crowned among them, an equal even? A student of music if not an equal.

Over every surface there were pictures frames, countless picture frames. More pictures lined around my mirror. I winced as I saw they were all of me and Joe. There were some of us at school, at the park, at six flags, at warp tour, with Nick, with his mother, with our families, with our friends. But in each and every one, Joe was with me, next to me, his arm around me, his lips on me.

I sighed and fell onto my bed. Joe had once been where my life was heading too. I had given that up when I left here, never wanting to look back. I couldn’t. I could never after what happened. And now I was with Devin. I was happy. I had to keep my past shut. I could not open it again. I was here for a divorce. And Joe Jonas had another thing coming if he thought he could keep me from this.

On my nightstand was a picture frame with a photo of me and Joe on a stage, holding a trophy. He was kissing my cheek. The picture started unfortunate and unwanted reminiscing.

”And the winners will be announced shortly,” the judge was saying.

I panicked and turned to Joe. “We’re going to lose, oh my God,” I said. Despite my confidence during our performance, I could think of at least a hundred mistakes we had made.

“Mel, don’t worry,” Joe laughed. “We’re definitely going to win. They loved us.”

I pouted. “How can you be so sure?”

“Because you’re with me,” he smiled reassuringly.

I smiled despite myself. “Why do you always say such corny things?”

“What can I say?” he laughed. “You bring out the sap in me.” He leaned in and kissed me lightly.

“Hey Joe?” I whispered against his lips.

“Yeah?” he didn’t pull away.

“I love you,” I said.

He smiled and pressed his lips a little harder against mine. “I love you too.”

“And the winners are,” the judge said, breaking us apart. Joe let go of me, just holding my hand. “Joe Jonas and Melody Stryder!”

My jaw dropped as I squealed in surprise. Joe, on the other hand, smiled calmly and led me to the stage to receive a trophy he had been so sure we would win.

I grinned as he kissed my cheek. I didn’t even know why I had doubted us. Standing here, with him next to me, I knew we could win anything as long as we were together. His words echoed in my mind. Because you’re with me.


“Mellie?” my sister’s voice broke through my thoughts.

I sat up as she came into my room. “Hey Mitchie,” I hugged her.

My sister was 6 years older than me. She had gone through medical school and was doing her residency right here at home. Why she never left this hellhole? I never knew. “What are you doing here?” she asked.

I sighed. “Getting a divorce,” I mumbled.

“What?” she asked, not completely hearing me,

“I have business to take care,” I shrugged. “I needed to get some things settled with Joe.”

“Oh the divorce,” she said knowingly.

“Yeah,” I said. “I need to get it settled and then I can go back to L.A.”

“Oh,” she said sadly. “Well I hoped you get it settled soon then.”

She turned to go. I sighed, knowing I was being a bitch. It wasn’t that bad here, at least it hasn’t always been. “Mitch, wait--,” I started.

“It’s okay Mel,” she smiled at me. “Oh by the way, mom invited the boys over for dinner since you’re home. Maybe you can get Joe to sign it then.”

She left me alone then. I was staring off into space. Joe was coming here? I could only imagine what he would do when he got here to mess with me.

“Joseph,” my mom hugged the boys in turn, “Nicholas and Franklin how great of you to come.”

“Of course Ms. Stryder,” Joe grinned. “We’re always up for a visit to the infamous Stryder home. This was our second home after all.”

“Silly me I forget how often you used to be here, devising some troublesome plan with Melody,” she laughed.

Joe looked at me then, a smile on his face as his eyes locked with mine. I looked away quickly. I just had to get dinner over with and then I could force Joe to sign the damn papers. I waited quietly as my mom cooed over them some more. I rolled my eyes at Nick, smirking. This was typical for my mother. And I was sure she had just seen them recently too. But of course that didn’t stop her from acting like these were first time visits.

“Well why don’t you all go catch up and such as Mitchie and I finish dinner?” my mom suggested.

Joe laughed. “Mel still not helping out huh?”

“Has she ever?” Mitchie laughed.

“What did she always say Nick?” Joe asked.

“Upcoming stars did not deal with uncooked food,” Nick finished, laughing as well.

I rolled my eyes. “Okay well if you’re done ganging up with me.”

Joe smirked and wrapped his arm around my neck. I forced myself not to move away. This was such a familiar gesture, but I couldn’t stand this close to him. “We’re just kidding babe, it’s all in good fun.”

I had to move now. Babe? What the fuck was he playing at? “Whatever,” I rolled my eyes and walked away. I closed my door behind me. But it opened a few minutes later.

Joe came in. “Wow I haven’t been in here in a long time,” he said, looking around. He went to my mirror, looking at the pictures. A smile crept on his face as he looked at me. “We had some good times, huh?”

“Yeah we did,” I said, looking at the door. Was Nick coming in any time soon to save me from having to be alone with Joe?

“What happened to us?” he asked. “I mean we were in love enough to get married. Weren’t we in love enough to stay together?”

I sighed, and looked at him. “We grew up Joe. And love just wasn’t enough.”

He moved close to me then. I held my breath as I felt his breath on my face. “Do you still think about me Melody? Do you still wonder what would have happened if this happened differently?”

“No,” I lied.

He smiled. “You’re lying. I know you too well Mel.”

“After all this time?” I asked, grasping at straws.

He laughed lightly. “Forever. And I know you’ll know me forever too.”

“Why are you so damn confident?” I asked, slightly angry. What did he think? That he’d sweep me off my feet again? This wasn’t a fairytale.

“Because you’re with me,” he said sadly, smiling slightly.

The words touched my heart, remembering the photograph. “Joe, I’m finally happy again,” I looked him the eyes.

“With Devin,” he said. It wasn’t a question.

“Joe, not everyone gets a great love story,” I said quietly. “And not every love story has a happily ever after. Our story doesn’t have a happy ending together.”

“I don’t believe that,” he said quietly.

“Please can’t you just sign the papers,” I begged. “I just want to move on.”

“With Devin,” he said again.

“Yes with Devin,” I sighed. “Please, just sign the papers.”

“No I don’t think I will just yet,” he smirked again, his face moving closer to mine as he leaned down.

I knew he was going to kiss me. I knew he would try to show me what I was missing. But I couldn’t let that happen, could I?
♠ ♠ ♠
Haha memory time :] What did you guys think? Comments anyone? I'm so excited about writing this. I hope you guys are excited about it too :] love you!

Photograph ;; Nickelback