Status: comments produce updates...(hint)

New to New York

Best In the World

The next few days came and went without any hitch. Everything was so routine – getting up in the morning, going to work, hanging out the gang, and then going to bed with Jason – that Willow had totally forgotten Anabelle’s warning.

That evening had been a busy one and Will’s legs hurt from running from end to the other of the bar. Heather had given up ten minutes earlier and now sat on an upside down milk crate smoking. “You’re such a good employee, Will. Wish I could be like you,” she said from her perch.

Will rolled her eyes. “Better not let Quin see you like that, babe.”

“I’m not scared of her,” her tone was total teenage rebellion but she stood up to look around the corner towards Quin’s office. “Not scared at all,” she said sitting down again; apparently her office door was closed.

“Hey Ladies, I’m heading out. Kale’s on his way,” Luke said coming up to the bar and getting his bag from underneath. He was the bouncer every Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday. He had a shaved head with bushy eyebrows, dark blue eyes and gave off fatherly vibes that comforted everybody near him.

“Kay, night Luke!” Heather hollered.

“Goodnight, Luke. See you next time.” Will said.

He waved just before the door opened and a man maybe 24 walked in with a scar down the side of his face to his ear. Luke watched him warily, an inner battle between staying and going home to his family going on in his mind. Willow gave him a reassuring smile and waved him on. They could handle it till Kale got here.

“Hi, what can I get you tonight?” she asked pleasantly. Heather had gotten up and moved beside her, wiping the already clean bar. Heather might have a young mind, but her childlike view on the world gave her a keen sense of danger.

He shook his head, squinting at Will which made the skin around the scar wrinkle and particularly ugly. “No, thank you. I’m looking for someone. He’s pretty regular around here…actually; he’s here about every time you are.” He gave a pointed grin at Will; Heather stopped wiping and looked up.

“Maybe if you described him we could help you.” she said sounding tired.

He looked at her like he just noticed her standing there. “Well, he’s about 5’9. He’s a medium weight with dark hair, a little scuff…sounding familiar? Ringing any bells?”

Yeah, it was ringing a lot of bells; raising red flags in fact. Heather looked at Will alarmed.
The guy was describing Jason. She didn’t know if she should tell him or not, but luckily Willow spoke first. “Nah, haven’t seen him tonight. Is there anything I can get you?” That was true enough; he didn’t usually come around till closing time to walk her home.

“Are you sure?” he asked ignoring the last question. He’d lean over the bar almost invading Will’s personal space.

“I’m positive. Is there anything I can get you?” her tone had become harsher and she was quickly approaching her limit. The bell over the front door rang then as Kale walked in taking up a lot space by just standing there.

“Hey,” he called out eyeing them and taking the bar stool over to the door. He walked up next to the guy to make his presence known. “Problem?”

“Nope,” the guy said pushing off the bar. “No problem. I was just looking for someone is all.” He walked out then and turned left heading to the ally.

Kale looked over at them with an eyebrow raised. “Gonna tell me what that was about?” If Luke gave fatherly vibes, then Kale gave big brother ones. He’d joke around and still watch out for you.

“Well – “ Heather began but was cut off by Willow.

“It was nothing. Just some loser hitting on Miss Heather here.” Kale had a thing for her so Will could probably guess what he was gonna say next… something like be careful or wait for me.

“Okay, well how about I walk you home tonight? We get off about the same.” Jack pot. Sometimes this trick left little surprise in life.

Heather shot her a quizzical look, “Sure Kale.” He smiled at her and headed back to his post, shooting glances their way every now and then.

“Whatever you’re doing, be aware I’m suspicious.” She said before going back to work.

&&&&&

It was ten till closing and Quin had emerged from her office to tell everyone to go ahead and leave early. “The place is empty anyway; Heather has thoroughly wiped the bar down. There’s nothing else to do here.”

Outside the wind was cooler than it had been all week and Willow wrapped her sweater tighter around her. “You want us to wait for Jason with you?” Heather asked standing close to Kale. They both had lived here much longer and had heavy coats to protect them.

“Oh, no. You guys go ahead. He’s…yep, I see him just there. He’s just up the street.” Yes, lying was bad. No, she didn’t do it much. But at that moment in time it felt like it had to be done.

The both squinted before Kale shrugged. “Girl, those brown eyes mush have super powers.” Will just smiled, hoping it wasn’t too forced. They both turned away and walked the opposite way “Jason” was coming.

Will stood there till she couldn’t see her friends anymore and then started towards the way Jason usually came down the street. She thought about earlier and why she’d instinctively lied to Kale about scar guy. Then why she’d lied just now. She thought about this as she passed a brightly lit coffee shop with a sign proclaiming the best coffee in the world lived there. She walked past it and a dark alley before something stopped her.

Willow could hear Jason’s voice rising with anger and annoyance. She hadn’t heard it like that a lot, and never had it been aimed at her, but she knew better than to try and intervene before he got his point across.

“…you around here?”

“I was looking for you.” The voice that answered sounded familiar but she couldn’t quite place it; it gave chills through her body. She stood at the mouth of the alley trying really hard to blend in.

“Don’t come looking for me again. And don’t go to Quin’s. I’m working a job there and I don’t think Rob would like you screwing it up.”

“God, untwist your panties would you? I was just looking to talk.”

“Why? Is there a problem?” Jason went from angry to slightly concerned. “Is there something I should know?”

“No, no problem.” Suddenly Will knew where she’d heard that voice before. It’d been looking for Jason a few hours earlier; it’d gotten in her face and now had found what it’d been looking for. “Hatter, look. I came to tell you to watch you’re self. People have been watching you…trailing you. Some not so nice - ”

“I know. I’ve seen them. Thanks for the super late warning.” The pause after he spoke was so long that Willow thought the conversation was over. She was about to turn away and leave when scar guy said quietly, “Where have you been Hatter? Where are you now a days? Cause when you are with us…you’re not really there. It’s like you’re counting the minutes till you back with that girl. Don’t get me wrong, she’s gorgeous, but Hatter, what happened to the loyalty?”

She heard footsteps and assumed Jason had stepped up to the guy. “Look, things change. That girl is amazing and I will not let you or any other low life ruin that. Stay away from her. I’ll know if you come up to her. Not only am I watching, so is Addi.”

Another long pause. “I could have killed you then,” Scar face said. “Would have been easy.”

“I would have let you…then.” Jason answered somber. His tone suggested that that part of his life was over, never to see the light of day again.

“Not now?” Scar face had picked up on that part which shouldn’t have surprised Will but did.

“No. Not now.” A moment passed, then another. Willow fought the urge to peek around the corner to check if they were still there. “Stay away from her.” There was the scuffle of heavy boots on the concrete, a splash as someone walked through a puddle. One of them was coming and Will had to get out of there fast.

She ran to the alcove of the coffee shop and turned around to make it seem like she’d been in there all along. Will stepped on to the sidewalk just as Jason came out of the alley, scar face turning the opposite way like they hadn’t even know the other was there.

He saw her up ahead and arranged his features into a smile just for her. “Sorry I’m late,” he said when he was in earshot. “How was -” he couldn’t finish due to the fact that Willow had grabbed him and kissed him like he was air and she was drowning.

He reacted like he always did. Cupping her face in his calloused hands and pushing her hair back when the wind whipped it between them. His hands traveled down her shoulders, upper arms, lower arms, wrists and entwined themselves with hers, leaving goose bumps in their wake. He moved his kisses down her neck and she giggled when his scruff tickled that sensitive skin at the base of her neck. She brought his face back up and bit his bottom lip before pulling away.

“I missed you,” she said pressing her forehead against his. Jason’s smile was sloppy and he wrapped his arms around her waist.

“I’d say. I might be late a lot if this is the kind of welcome I get.” They both laughed. “As I was saying before I was so happily interrupted, how was your day?” he pulled her into the street and they started walking towards her apartment.

Will took a moment to consider telling him about scar face. She didn’t want to lie to Jason, but he already knew so why tell him again? He’d taken care of it. “Uneventful, yours?”

He glanced sideways at her and then faced forward again. “Pretty much the same.”

“Do you have work tonight?” she asked swinging their hands in the air.

“Not unless you have something better in mind,” he said kissing her on the cheek. She giggled and laid her head on his shoulder.

“I might.” This was the best feeling in the world.
♠ ♠ ♠
I Like To Color.
TheBottlesAreHallow
xoxomusic363

thanx you guys soo much!
but i am wondering about one thing...last chaper i got three new comments...is the story dragging?? You guys not liking the events?? Promise theres big things in the works, cross my heart. Just let me know what youre feeling(:

**i know this one is the shortest one but my week has been super..............well, lets just say different. I promise there wont be a lot of short ones**