Status: Complete, but being edited.

Straighten Your Ties / Book 1

EPILOGUE - Prologue to the Rest of My Life

If I don't make it known that
I've loved you all along
Just like sunny days that
We ignore because
We're all dumb and jaded
And I hope to God I figure out what’s wrong
-Our Lady Peace – 4am
I stood outside in the warm air of a summer night in late June. I stood in the streets of what I called my second hometown. Where I had spent three years of my life living and going to school. Meeting friends and making enemies. Passing tests and never failing them except for those in French class. In that one moment, I thought about everything. And I just stood there. Stood there, looking from side to side. Waiting for something, but not sure exactly what something was. I had nothing to be rescued to from. I had nothing to be mad about at all. Everything was fine. And I was here, in the streets. Alive. I was fine. All was well.

The street lights glowed in their usual orange light. Somewhere in the distance I heard a siren, a siren I that I had heard every day for the past thirty months, a siren that sounded from the police and fire station right next to Seguin. I smiled. It reminded me of everything. I loved the fact how I could process everything through my head like that, and relate that one thing to everything. From Eric to Lexy. From Middle School to Senior School. From the numerous times I had walked up and down Sherbrooke, to the late nights when I regretted doing so. Everything. Everything could come back to one thing. One siren is all it took.

That sent me reeling. Sass had once told me that she would have preferred to walk and whisper. I decided against that. I had wanted to do this for the longest time. I wanted to forget everything for one measly hour. I wanted to go running and screaming. And so I did.

I screamed it all out. I was just violently screaming meaningless screams. They were incomprehensible and I was sure that I was awaking a few people. But these screams and every stride I took meant everything to me. It meant Lexy. It meant Greg. Kenneth. Greg. Seth. Anthony. Katherine. Kate. Sass. Everyone. Love. Hope. Doubt. Homework. Hate. Everything.

I ran through the streets that night not knowing if I had direction. Not knowing if there was a purpose to it all to be truthful. But I ran until I got to Hampstead. All the way across the highway. I ran to Lexy’s house. I threw a rock to her window like in those corny stupid movies. She came out. I tackled her to the ground laughing. Both of us. I was dead tired and I didn’t care. And we lay there. Merely this one graceful heap in her backyard. Laughing. Under the clear night canvas of stars. I kissed her with the most passion I could output that night. I cried. I cried right there, silently weeping. Just tears. No sound. For the first time in a really long time, there was not a single sad bone in my body.