Status: Active. (:

One of the Boys.

Pt. 9.

We’d been in Italy for three days now and the heat was pretty much unbearable. Okay, it wasn’t that bad, it was fantastic, but I was moaning because I had to share a room with Kat. My mom said she was sorry, but that was the way it would have to be.
Today I was getting a haircut, rather than my long, shapeless dirty blond hair than just hung there. I wasn’t sure what I was getting done, but my mom said to trust her.
We walked into the hairdressers and she started talking to them in Italian. My Italian was very limited so I stood there and smiled.
I was instructed to sit down and they talked about my hair, lifting up different bits and making odd hand movements.
They decided to dye it a light brown to match my eyebrows (which they plucked whilst I was waiting) and made it in choppy layers. They cut it to just below my shoulders and thinned it a bit, then gave me a side fringe. They blow dried it straight and then they told me to look in the mirror.
Wow. That’s not me.
“Gratzi!” I smiled to the hairdressers, obviously very pleased with what they’d done. I really, really liked it. I’d never have thought it would have suited me, but it did, and I loved it. I’m surprised I’m not swearing violently, I thought I would hate it; maybe my mom isn’t all that bad.
My mom paid and I hugged her. “Thank you, mom.”
“No problem, it looks gorgeous!”
She smiled and we walked to the near by mall, all full of beautiful and ludicrously expensive stores. There was an H & M but my mom walked straight past there.
“Why can’t we go in the cheap stores?”
“Because Italian clothes are always so beautiful and there’s this specific shop called The Grape Vine which has individual pieces that are all one-of-a-kind.”
“We don’t have all that much money…”
“Your grandparents are millionaires honey, don’t worry. And they like you, so it’s fine.”
I smirked. “Okay.”
We walked into the shop that she was on about and I was surprisingly startled. Everything in here was beautiful, as she had said. I picked up a trilby hat and it had a price tag saying 400 euros.
Oh damn.
“Choose whatever you want, this is your new wardrobe.” she smiled.
“I’ve no idea what to pick.”
“How about I choose you a lot of things and you try them all on?”
I nodded and walked into the changing room. My mom must’ve chosen at least forty pieces of clothing and hung them all up. I shut the curtain and got changed into some stone washed skinny jeans with an over sized t-shirt that had Marilyn Monroe on it. I put on the trilby and a black waistcoat with some cream lace running down the seams. I opened the curtain and my mother smiled widely.
“You look gorgeous honey.”
I looked in the mirror and smiled. “I love this mom.”
“I think you’re going to have a lot of fun today.”
I continued smiling and shut the curtain, trying on a cream dress with blue and black splatter paint patterns on it and random card symbols, like clubs and spades. I put on a gray waist belt and a necklace with a compass charm. The dress was strapless so didn’t really stay up.
I opened the curtain again and my mom smiled once again, making me twirl.
“That’s good, but you won’t be able to wear it until the end of the summer when you get boobs.”
“If I get them.”
“You will, don’t worry.” she nodded.
I probably spent a good hour and a half trying on everything, liking pretty much everything I tried on. It was so different to what I was used to, but it looked a hell of a lot better.
We walked up to the counter and the over all bill came to just under 10 000 euros.
Yes, I did gasp very loudly when it was all rung up, but my mom said my grandparents had given me a very big budget.
I changed into one of the dresses with a belt and some Greek tan sandals. I threw away my old clothes when we walked out, all of my bags slung over my shoulders.
Last, we walked into a big department store, towards the make-up section. A tall, model like woman walked over to us and my mom explained to her what she wanted. I sat down on a stool and closed my eyes for about a quarter of an hour whilst my face was attacked. I nearly sneezed when a big brush was swept across my nose, but managed to hold it in. I’d never, ever put make-up on before, except face paint for halloween, and that doesn’t really count.
I was told to open my eyes, so I did, and looked in the mirror. I covered my mouth with my hands in astonishment. I looked in the full length mirror and nearly cried. My mom nearly cried too. I looked alright for once. In fact, I looked better than okay. I actually looked like a girl. I had shape, I had pouty lips, big eyes… wow.
My mom hugged me tightly. “Thank you so much mom. Thank you.”
“You’re so gorgeous Ezme.” she said and let go.
The make-up artist smiled and rung up all the items she’d used so I could continue the look at home. I put them into a bag and we hopped onto the tram that ran through the city to a street near my grandparent’s place.
Kat was sat by the pool, sunbathing, wearing the tiniest bikini known to man and the largest sunglasses. They covered more skin than her bikini.
She sat up and tilted her sunglasses to see properly. She gasped. “No way!” she shouted. “Emma, there’s no way that’s you! I know you had a big budget, but surgery is a little-”
“No surgery, Kat, it’s all natural beauty.” smiled my mom, trying to spite my sister. Hah.
She screamed and stormed off.
“What’s wrong with her?” I asked her.
“She’s jealous because you’re a lot prettier than her.”
“You’re such a bitch about her! I know she’s not great, but you’re her mom.”
“She’s a bitch to me and everyone around her, so she had it coming.”
“That’s fair enough.” I smiled. “And thank you.”
“No problem, I know you’ll appreciate it. Go show off yourself to the rest of your family!” she chuckled, taking my bags from me.
I walked into their huge house and into the main room, where most of the family were.
My grandma smiled. “Bambino! You look so… bella! You look just like your mother!”
The old, friendly woman hugged me. “Thanks, gran.”
“Papi, look at Ezme!”
My grandad looked up from his newspaper and smiled too. “Mucho bella, Ezme.”
“Gratzi Papi.” I nodded curtly.
My dad stood up and hugged me. “You remind me so much of your mother. You look stunning, Emma.”
“Thanks dad. I don’t think I’m ever gonna wear that Metallica shirt again. So sorry.”
He laughed. “I don’t care about that shirt, you look very pretty kid.”
He ruffled my hair and let go of me. Jemima whined because I’d got clothes and she hadn’t; and Kat screamed again. I went upstairs to examine my new clothes, but none of my stuff was in my room.
“Mom! Where’s my stuff?”
She came into my room. “Seeing as you’ve got so much new stuff, you’re gonna need a separate room, am I right?”
I smiled widely. “Yes…?”
“So I got you your own room. With a lock, as I know Kat will try and sabotage some of your stuff.”
I hugged her tightly. “I wish you could’ve been this cool beforehand.”
She laughed lightly. “Sorry babe, but it all paid off, right?”
“Totally.” I nodded and let go. She gave me the key and lead me to my room, down the stairs, into the next wing, past the indoor pool and near the second kitchen. She unlocked it and I smiled, I’d never seen this room before. It was spacious, light, and more importantly, my own.
“Thanks mom.”
“No problem kid. All your stuff is hung up. Enjoy!”
She left and shut the door behind her. I opened the closet and it contained all my new clothes, shoes and accessories. My make-up was on the dressing table and my laptop was on the bed.
Wait, my laptop? They brought that? Hell to the yeah!
I could actually communicate with my friends! Sweet!
But the time difference… that sucks. 9 hour difference forward. So it’s half four here, which means its half eight there in the morning. Ryan will be up.
I logged onto msn and sat down. Ryan was the only person online, as suspected.
“Hey Ryan! I’m in Italy right now and it’s beautiful, you’d love it.”
“Lucky cow. Can you put on your cam?”
I wanted to surprise everyone when I got back, so I wasn’t going to show him my face.
“Sure, but the cam will be facing out the window for the view. But you can still hear me, kay?”
“Uh, sure, why not.”
I turned on the web cams and faced it out the window.
His tired face popped up and I smiled.
“Whoa, the view is beautiful. I wanna be in Italy!”
“You’ve got a job, right?”
“Yeah…”
“How much money have you got saved up?”
“About $850.”
“That’ll get you a last minute flight to Milan. Come out here.”
“No way, your parents wouldn’t let me.”
“Of course they would! They’ve all been really nice to me lately, and it turns out I’m the only daughter my mom likes, so it’s all good.” I laughed. He laughed too.
“How far is your place from Milan airport?”
“Twenty minute cab ride, which we could pay for. My grandparents are freaking millionaires, you’ll be covered, don’t worry.”
“And you’re serious about this?”
“Deadly.”
“Okay, I’ll check the flights, hang on.” he nodded. I saw him biting his lip and his eyes scanning the screen as he was reading. “Ah hah! Single flight to Milan from Vegas for $800, leaves tomorrow. I can’t afford a return, though.”
“Don’t worry about it, you can tag along with us when we go back.”
“I don’t want to be a pest…”
“You won’t be, trust me. Go ask your mom, I’ll ask mine.”
“Okay.” he nodded and I disappeared to go see my mother. She was sat outside by the stables, reading a book by Victoria Wood.
“Hey, mom.”
She looked up and smiled. “Hey darling.”
“What would you say if my friend Ryan came out here tomorrow then flew back with us when we go back? I could get a cab to Milan airport and bring him back here.”
“Which one is Ryan?”
“The stick thin, effeminate one. You said he was adorable.”
“Oh, yes, him! I don’t see why not.”
“Are you sure?”
She nodded. “It’d be a pleasure, it’d make your vacation more enjoyable too.”
“You rock mom!”
“Yes I do, now go tell him.” she laughed and I ran off back to the laptop.
“What did she say?” I asked.
“She said yes, but she would check up on me regularly. You?”
“She said yes too.”
“Awesome! Wow, I’m going to Italy! Hell yeah!”

(This is what I imagine her hair would look like, but a little less emo.)
http://i490.photobucket.com/albums/rr261/colorful_cupcake/Long_Brown_Emo_Hair-1.gif
♠ ♠ ♠
Alright... this is a filler, I know, I'm sorry.
But it's relevant to the rest of the story, and the turning point.
Actually, there will be several turning points.
The first one involves Ryan (:
Comment me what you think?
Plus, if you guys keep on commenting me the way you do now, Imma give you two chapters at a time instead ;)
Love! x
And Happy New Years!