Well, I'll Wait 'Til You Listen, I Won't Say a Word

In Which I First Meet Adam Lazzara.

A typical day. Wake up, kick my older sister Kayla out of the bathroom, take a shower, get dressed, scarf down some toast and get in the car and head to school.
Well, not entirely typical. I had to wake up an hour earlier because I had to get extra help in art from my teacher, Mr. Bates. My sister gets up an hour earlier than she has to everyday just to do her make up.
My sister is the queen of all things girlie and make up related. I, on the other hand, am the ‘tomboy’. The star soccer player. Posters of David Beckham and Mia Hamm cover my walls, while Kayla’s room is covered in posters of Zac Efron and Orlando Bloom.
Despite my star player status, Kayla has always been my mom’s favorite. They have more in common, I guess. Into make up, not necessarily the smartest…While all the make up I wear is lip gloss and I’m a straight-A student. My older brother, Josh, is away at college on a soccer scholarship, much like the one I’m hoping to get.
But this morning, I was mostly concerned about art. I’m in AP art, mostly because I work hard at art, but I’m not that great. I was having a particularly large amount of problems with this week’s project, so my teacher offered to come early to help me.
The lesson went well, my project improved. An hour passed, and it was time for me to head to homeroom. As I walked past the main office, I saw Principal Morrison talking to a tall boy I’d never seen before. He had shoulder length brown hair and a red backpack slung over his shoulder.
“Miss Mathis!” called Principal Morrison, suddenly noticing me. “Could you come here for a moment?”
“Hi Principal Morrison, what do you need?” I asked tentatively. The last time he did something like this I had to tell a group of board members about our school’s sports program.
“I’d like you to meet a new student to our school, Adam Lazzara,” he turned to the boy next to him. “Adam, this is Elaine Mathis, an exemplary student here at Middleborough High.”
I reached out to shake Adam’s hand. “Call me Lane. Nice to meet you.”
“Nice to meet you, too.” He said, looking at me curiously.
“Elaine, do you think you could show Adam to his locker and homeroom? I believe he is in the same homeroom as you, Ms. Jones’s?”
“Yeah, no problem.” I replied. This was far easier than talking to the school board.
“And fantastic game against Readington yesterday! That goal in the fourth quarter was wonderful! Good luck tomorrow afternoon.” Said Principal Morrison.
“Thanks. Um, okay. So let’s get going.” I said turning to Adam.
“Alright,” said Adam, smiling, “Lead the way.”