Well, I'll Wait 'Til You Listen, I Won't Say a Word

In Which Everyone Gets Excited For The Game.

Tomorrow arrived quickly. Today was the championship game against Morris, a team known for their tough players and dirty playing. I was worried, but not that much. The situtation with Matt was far more problematic.
My mom ignored me as I left. No “Good luck, Lane,” or anything. Not that I expected it. I knew she wasn’t coming to the game, and honestly, I wasn’t going to let it bother me.
But that little snub from my mom reminded me of all those times that I called Matt in the middle of the night or walked to his house just so I had someone to talk to. Matt had been there each and every time my mom had been cruel in the past, providing a shoulder to cry on and reassuring words. He really was the best friend a person could ever ask for, and I missed him more with every minute.
And Adam. We kissed last night! I sighed to myself. I guess that meant that we were ‘going out.’ How incredibly wonderful and strange.
Sure enough, when I got to school, Adam was waiting for me in front of my locker.
“Good morning, my lovely soccer player,” he said as I approached.
“Gee, thanks. Good morning to you, too,” I replied, opening my lock.
“What’s wrong?” Wow, was he observant. He even saw through the fake smile on my face.
“Matt,” I replied quietly. No sense in lying to him.
“Ah,” he gave me a hug, “Hey, no worries. We’ll figure it out. He’ll come around.”
“I hope so,” I mumbled.
“I know so,” he replied. “You ready to win a championship?”
I laughed a little, “I guess so.”
He laughed, too, and we made our way to homeroom.

I was wished luck from just about everyone in the school by the end of the day. Since I’m team captain, I seem to be the person people come to for that sort of thing.
The one person who didn't was Matt. I saw him in class, where he refused to talk to me or even look at me. But I was pretty sure he was going to the game. A promise is a promise, and I was pretty sure that Matt would still follow the gigs/games policy. After all, he was friends with some other girls on the team, and he could say he was going to see them.
At 3:30, I started to head over to the locker room to get ready for the game. Adam walked with me, and when we made it to the locker room doors he stopped to kiss me quickly on the lips.
“Good luck,” he said, “And don’t worry. I know you’ll do great.”
“Thanks.” I said, “I’ll see you after the game?”
“Definately,” He responded. I turned to leave. He grabbed back my hand. “Wait, Lane…I’ll keep an eye out for Matt. I could talk to him if you want me to.”
“Don’t worry about it,” I said, shaking my head, “I’ll talk to him later. But thanks. And I’ll see you later.” He nodded. I kissed him on the cheek and walked into the locker room.