Well, I'll Wait 'Til You Listen, I Won't Say a Word

In Which I Spend The Night In The Hospital.

I don’t remember much more about that night.
I was in and out of consciousness. I remember the sterile, white inside of an ambulance and Adam’s warm hand holding my clammy one and his reassurances. “It’s gonna be okay, angel.”
I vaguely remember being checked out by a doctor in the emergency room. “A definite concussion. She should stay until tomorrow, just to make sure she hasn’t lost any memory,” he diagnosed. I threw up all over the floor moments later.
Finally, they brought me to a room. I fell into a deep sleep the moment I hit the pillow. I heard Adam say goodnight to me, kiss me on the forehead, and leave. And that was it.

The next morning, though it was probably actually the afternoon, I woke to hear two familiar voices speaking quietly.
“Matt, listen,” one began. I was fairly sure that it was Adam. “I’m really sorry.”
“It’s fine,” Matt replied sadly, “It’s up to Lanie. And clearly, I’m only a friend to her. And I’ll have to deal with that. I don’t know if I’ll ever stop loving her, though.”
“I wish it wasn’t that way. We both like Lane the same way…And I don’t want to mess up your friendship with her. Honestly, if you’d like me to back off, I would. I just want her to be happy.”
“So do I. But I know that wouldn’t make her happy. She loves you, man,” he paused, thinking. “I love her more than any other girl I’ve ever met. I’ve loved her since the second grade. But if you make her happy, it’s okay by me.”
“Thank you, Matt. I really mean it,” Adam said sincerely.
“It’s cool. But don’t do anything mean to her,” Matt warned, “Don’t break her heart, or you’ll have me to answer to.”
“Yes, sir.” I could hear the grin in Adam’s voice.
I fell asleep again with a smile on my lips, feeling loved.