Well, I'll Wait 'Til You Listen, I Won't Say a Word

In Which Adam Tries Out For The Band.

Adam came in a few minutes later and sat down beside me, putting his arm around my waist.
“Mom’s cool with you staying,” he said. “You can try calling Matt now, if you want.”
“Awesome. I’ll call him now.” Adam handed me his cell phone. I typed in Matt’s number from memory. I’d called that number at least a million times. Matt picked up on the third ring.
“Helloooo?”
“Matt? It’s Lanie.”
“Hey Lanie. You got out today, right? You were still sleeping when I was there. Jeez, you must have been sleeping until at least four ‘o clock. Did Adam take you home? I wanted to, but I thought he’d handle it, and..”
“Matt, stop. I just wanted to ask you a question.” I said, laughing.
“Oh, haha. Sorry.”
“No prob. Listen, Mom and I had a fight, and I’m staying at Adam’s tonight. I was wondering if you wanted to come to Adam’s and hang out with us.”
“Oh, Lane. I want to, but I can’t. I’m still trying to find a new singer for the gig, which is in two days. It’s totally freaking us out. Fred and I had like, 20 guys audition so far and all of them were terrible. And we still have about 10 more to go.”
“Oh. I see. So, I guess I’ll see you tomorrow or something.”
“Yeah, I guess.”
Then I had an idea. “Hey, I know someone with a great voice.”
“Who?” Matt said, clearly interested.
“I’ll bring him over in a minute. You’re at Fred’s, right?”
“Yeah, but…”
“I’ll be there in a sec, Matty.” I hung up.
I turned to Adam. He looked confused.
“Come on, we’ve got to go to Fred’s apartment.
“But, why? Lane, I hope that you weren’t talking about me.”
“I was. So come on. Let’s go.” I grabbed his hand and dragged him out the door.

We got to Fred’s apartment 10 minutes later. Matt’s jaw just about touched the ground when he saw who I had in tow behind me.
“Adam? You sing?” he asked.
“Uh. I guess so.” Adam said nervously.
“He does. His voice is amazing.” I said. Clearly, he wasn’t going to admit that himself.
“No, really. I’m not very good…” he turned to me. “Lane, please. I can’t…”
“Just try it.” I said reassuringly. “Your voice is great, and now you can put it to use. Please just give it a shot?”
He squeezed my hand. “Fine. But only because it’s for you.” He looked to Matt and Fred. “What do you guys want me to sing?”
“Try Cute Without The ‘E’. It was the first song in our set the other night. Do you remember the lyrics?” said Fred.
“Uh, vaguely. I’m okay at picking up lyrics.” He took a breath, and then started to sing.
"Your lipstick, his collar.
Don't bother, angel.
I know exactly what goes on."