Well, I'll Wait 'Til You Listen, I Won't Say a Word

In Which Adam Joins The Band.

“You’re in.”
“What?” said Adam.
“You’re in.” Matt repeated. “Come on, I’ll call Mark and Ed and we’ll start practicing.”
“Just like that?” Adam asked in disbelief.
“Of course. You’re great. No more questions.” Fred laughed.
“See? I knew you’d be perfect.” I gave Adam a quick hug.
“Uh, ok.” He said. “But we have to leave soon, my mom..”
“It’s fine, man. We’ll just get Mark and Ed to come over and we’ll practice for like, ten minutes.” Fred interrupted.
Matt came over and patted Adam on the back, “I seriously underestimated your skills, man. You’re awesome.”
“Uh, thanks, I guess?”

10 minutes turned to 20, to 30, to 40, and eventually we really had to head back to Adam’s. By the end of practice, Adam seemed pretty psyched to be in the band, and his voice suited all of their songs perfectly.
We got to little house at the edge of town that is the Lazzara residence and sat down on the couch. It was about eight.
Adam put his arm around me and kissed the top of my head. “You want anything to eat?”
“Ah, a snack would be nice.” I was really hungry. I was feeling a little dizzy as well. Not eating combined with recovering from a concussion is really not an enjoyable experience.
“I’ll get some chips.” Adam got up and went into the kitchen. He returned a few minutes later with half a bag of potato chips and two cans of Sprite.
“Thanks, Adam,” I said, genuinely grateful.
“No prob. Hey, do you wanna watch a movie?” He looked excited, and though I kind of didn’t want to, I couldn’t turn down those big brown eyes.
“Yeah, of course. What movie were you thinking?”
“Fight Club, of course. Brad Pitt is the best thing that ever happened to this planet. Well. Except for you.” He said, with faking seriousness.
“You’re too sweet.” I said, and I ruffled his hair. “And sure, Fight Club sounds great.”
And with that, we settled in to watch Adam’s favorite movie.