Well, I'll Wait 'Til You Listen, I Won't Say a Word

In Which I Recieve Two Shocks.

The next morning I woke up feeling good. Things had been resolved! No conflict, no worries (or so it seemed), and I was finally happy. I dressed quickly and went downstairs to start breakfast. I had an hour until school started. Mom had already left for work, and Kayla was sleeping in. She would be late, again.
I heard a knock on the door, and I ran to go answer it. A tall boy with sandy hair and a blue shirt was standing on my doorstep.
“JOSH!” I yelled. I jumped and gave my older brother a hug.
“Hey, Lanie,” said Josh, hugging back. I remembered how much I missed him and his quiet comfort. He was my only family member that I could ever really relate to. “Is Mom home?”
“Nah, she just left,” I told him. “Come in!”
“Thanks, Lane,” he said, and followed me into the house.
Once I got my bowl of cereal, I went and sat down with him at the kitchen table.
“So, why are you back from school?” I asked.
“My coach told me to take a week off for training before the winter season. Indoor, you know. I did really well in the fall, so he wanted me to take a break and work out a little, too. Just so I stay healthy and don’t get hurt.”
“What about class?” I asked him.
Josh smiled, “I’m taking classes online.”
“Awesome,” I leaned in and hugged him again. “And Josh, guess what? I made up with mom. She promised to do better.”
“Cool, Lane. But remember the way she is. Don’t get your hopes up too much,” he warned.
“I know,” I replied, feeling a little crushed. But I couldn’t deny that it was true.

I drove to school, playing the demo cd Matt had given me of his band’s songs. I arrived just in time for homeroom.
Second period English rolled around. Ria leaned across her desk and placed a folded-up note on top of my binder. I picked it up and read it.
“U’ll never guess what just happened!!!!”
I passed it back with my reply.
“What happened?”
She gave it back a moment later.
“Matt asked me to the Winter Formal!!!!!”
I felt my eyes widen. Should I be angry? Happy? Sad? I figured I’d go with happy. At least, to Ria. This was big news. Matt had asked people out before. But he wasn’t like, a serial dater. And after he’d said only a few days ago that he liked me? I didn’t get it.
“Cool! :]” Was my response.

Geez.
Here we go again.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the wait.
But this was a juicy update, no?
I'll have nother update the week after next, because I'm going on vacation next week. :]