Well, I'll Wait 'Til You Listen, I Won't Say a Word

In Which I Spend Some Time With Ria.

A week went by. Adam and I were still going steady, learning something new about each other every day. I was lucky enough not to have to deal with the Matt/Ria/Lane problem for a few days, as Ria was distracted and was sitting with Matt in classes and hanging out with him in the hallways. She didn’t spend a whole lot of time with me, which meant she wouldn’t be telling me all about it.
Eventually, the Wednesday before the dance came around, and Ria and I went dress shopping at the mall.
I’ve never really been one for shopping, but I figured that this could be an exception. It was, after all, my first dance with Adam. So with that, Ria and I set out after dinner in search of the perfect outfit for the Winter Formal.
“Oooh!” Ria cooed over every dress. I love Ria, but things like that just get her a little too excited.
I finally managed to find something I liked, after about an hour. It was a pale blue dress, plain satin, no sparkles. It came to a little below my knees. When we stopped by the shoe store, I picked out a pair of black flats, which would go with the black headband I was planning on wearing. It was simple and perfectly fine by me.
Ria, on the other hand, went for a more theatrical look: a long golden empire-waist dress that shimmered in the light. Honestly, I wasn’t at all surprised by her choice. I was sure that Matt’s jaw would be on the floor when he saw her.
After we were done with shopping, we headed to a restaurant to get some ice cream (Ria claimed that she had been craving it.) We’d been sitting at our booth for a few minutes when Ria asked,
“Are you okay with me and Matt going to the dance together? Like, really okay? I just wanted to make sure, since you two are so close.”
“What? Oh, yeah. Of course. Why would I not be?” I said, hesitating, fidgeting.
“Well, I don’t know. I just wanted to make sure,” she said, and I nodded, trying to be convincing. “You know, I’ve actually liked Matt for a few months now.”
And yeah, I actually did know that. I saw the “MR” in a heart drawn on her Biology notebook, so I’d figured that out a while back.
“I know, Ri. I’m really happy for you,” I attempted a smile.
“Cool, thanks Lane,” Ria grinned.
I was fuming inside. Why can’t I just make up my mind and start telling the truth?
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter is pretty much filler.
Next will be better, I promise. :]