Well, I'll Wait 'Til You Listen, I Won't Say a Word

In Which I Make Up With Matt.

A note had been slid into the side of my locker when I got to school on Monday morning. I had been avoiding what happened on Friday, not answering the phone or going online, but I had a feeling about who it was from.

Lane,
I really don’t understand what happened at the formal on Friday. I thought you cared, and that you were different, but I guess I was wrong. I love you, Lane, and I don’t know if I’ll ever get over you. If you want to talk, feel free to find me. I hope you can explain to me what’s going on.
Adam.


Adam’s messy scrawl became blurry.
I was crying.
Why did I do this to him?

I left school early that day, claiming a stomachache. My mom would be at work anyway, and Josh was visiting old friends. I’d be fine at home.
Around 12, my cell phone rang. The screen read ‘Mattypants.’ I sighed. Now or never. I answered the phone tentatively.
“Hello?”
“Hey Lanie, it’s Matt.”
“Hey, Matt,” there was a pause.
“So I guess I’ll go first,” Matt said, laughing a little, “I just wanted to tell you that I’m really, really confused right now, that I miss you, that I want to know what happened on Friday and that it’s lunch and I’m calling you from the bathroom so I don’t get caught talking on the phone.”
I laughed, feeling a little better. He didn’t seem upset. “I don’t blame you at all for being curious. I just- I dunno. I heard you say you liked me. At the hospital. And I thought that maybe I liked you, too. But Adam…”
“But why would you kiss me?” I could almost hear him wince, “Lane, I do like you in that way, but I was getting over it. I didn’t want to ruin you and Adam, so why would you go and do that yourself?”
I won’t lie, I felt a little offended. But he deserved an explanation. “I had wanted to talk to you about it for a while, and when I saw you that night, something snapped. God, Matt. This is so confusing.” My voice cracked, I started to well up.
He heard that I was crying. “Do you need me to come over?”
“Yes, please. I love you, Matty.”
“Love you too, Lane.”

Matt came over as soon as he was done school. One hour and one pint of chocolate chip mint ice cream later, we had everything settled. We both apologized, and I promised that I’d only make a move on him again if I knew I was available, as not to lead him on.
“So you know what you have to do next, right?” asked Matt before he had to leave.
“Make up with Adam, I know. I’m just worried he won’t take me back.”
“I think he will,” Matt gave me one more hug and then walked out the door.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm so sorry this took so long!
More soon, I promise.