Well, I'll Wait 'Til You Listen, I Won't Say a Word

In Which I Visit Adam.

What Matt had said bothered me for the rest of the night. All through dinner I worried about apologizing to Adam. I had to do it soon, and I really didn’t want to do it over the phone.
By 8, I was pacing in my room, to preoccupied to attempt my Trig homework. It was then that I made my decision. I would go apologize to Adam that night. I grabbed my car keys and my favorite red hoodie and ran outside before anyone could stop me and before I could change my mind.

pulled up to Adam’s house at 8:15. I approached the door, steadying myself, taking deep breaths, wondering what on earth I would say. I rang the doorbell. Seconds passed, and then a familiar lanky framed, long haired boy answered the door.
“Lane?” he said. He looked skeptical and slightly frustrated.
“Uh, hi, Adam. I, uh, wanted to come talk to you and well; I didn’t work up the guts to until now. So uh, could I come in?” I was saying ‘uh’ entirely too much. It was probably pretty clear that I was out-of-my-mind nervous.
He opened the door wider and I followed him inside. We sat down on the couch. Looking directly at him in the light, it was easy to see the hurt in his eyes. “You can start, Lane,” he said, staying civil.
“About what happened on Friday,” I began, “I am completely sorry. I don’t know what got into me. Adam, I love you. I just started to like Matt, and it got out of hand. I wasn’t thinking,” I looked at him. He had the same expression on his face. “I wouldn’t blame you for never wanting to see me again. I’m so sorry, Adam. I’m such a bad person for starting this and then wanting you back, but I can’t help it.”
He reached in and brushed the hair away from my eyes. “Lanie, I’ve missed you. I want you back. But god, I’m an idiot for letting you get away with this,” he sighed and looked at me sadly. I took his hand.
“I’m so sorry. It won’t happen again.”
“I really hope not, Lanie. I don’t think I could stand seeing that again.” I leaned in and wrapped my arms around his neck.
Adam smiled a [somewhat forced?] smile and returned the hug. Things seemed to be back to normal. I had my best friend and my boyfriend back, right? But I knew I couldn’t slip up again.