Well, I'll Wait 'Til You Listen, I Won't Say a Word

In Which We Celebrate Christmas.

Soon, Winter Break arrived. Matt had plans to go to New York City to visit his grandparents for Christmas, so I hosted my annual Christmas Party on December 22nd, rather than the 24th.
Adam had helped me to get things ready all morning. This would be the first year that I’d actually have the party at my house, instead of Matt’s. At around 5, guests started arriving. Fred and Elena, Matt and Ria, Mark and Leah [they just started dating] and Eddie and his girlfriend, Nicki, were the first people to walk in, bringing with them Mountain Dew, Poprock casserole and lots of noise.
The night went on. At 10, Matt pulled me aside.
“I have something for you, Lanie,” he gave me a box wrapped in red tissue paper.
I opened it and gasped. “No way, no way.” It was a black t-shirt that read “TAKING BACK SUNDAY.”
“You thought of a name!”
“Yup, we’ve been keeping it secret,” he grinned. “We’re gonna use it at our next gig.”
“Well, congrats, Mattypants,” I gave him a hug. “I have something for you, too.” I handed him his gift.
He unwrapped it excitedly. “YES. Protein powder,” he nearly shouted. I laughed. The perfect gift for those obsessed with working out.

Finally, it was Christmas. My absolute favorite day of the year. My family was happy at Christmas for the first time in years. Kayla was on her best behavior, my mom was enjoying herself, and Josh was being his usual fun self.
From Kayla, I received a gift card to Hollister. Josh got me a new Beckham poster and an Adidas soccer ball, and my mom got me a new blue sweater. It was a pretty good outcome, in my opinion.
At noon, Adam arrived. Josh and Kayla had gone out to a Christmas party that one of the seniors was having, and Mom went to go visit a friend.
“Merry Christmas, Lanie,” he said, and kissed me.
“Same to you, my dear,” I smiled.
“So, in the tradition of the holiday, I come bearing a gift.”
“Oh, really?” We went to go sit on the couch, and Adam handed me a small box.
I lifted the lid. Inside was a bracelet. It was silver and dotted with blue glass beads. It was perfect, and definitely something I would wear.
“Adam, that’s beautiful,” I leaned back into his chest and kissed him. “And guess what? I have something for you, but I wish it were as nice as that.”
“It’s the thought that counts, Lanie dearest,” I took the box with his present off the coffee table and handed it to him.
He unwrapped it quickly. I’d given him a new Lifetime t-shirt and a giftcard to Chancho’s, knowing how he felt about the nachos they served there. “Thanks so much, Lane!”
As Christmases go, this was a very good Christmas.