Well, I'll Wait 'Til You Listen, I Won't Say a Word

In Which A Soccer Game Is Played.

The day blew by. Adam turned out to be really easy to talk to. His expressive brown eyes seemed to always be curious and interested in what was going on, and his questions for me didn’t once cease.
The end of the day came, and it was time for soccer practice and then our semifinal game against Belleview. Adam had left and I wasn’t sure if he was coming to the game or not, but I knew Matt would. We have a mutual agreement: I go to his gigs, he goes to my games.
Pratice was good. Belleview is an amazing team, so we knew we had to be on our best game. Before the game, I scanned the crowds for Matt and my family. Of course, Mom and Kayla didn’t show. Soccer didn’t matter to them, and I should have expected that. I saw Matt and waved. Adam was there too, and he waved as well.
My friend Ria, a midfielder on our team, noticed me waving. “You know that guy? He’s way cute.” Ria is a tad “boy crazy,” but she’s still a great girl.
“Yeah, that’s Adam. But cute? I don’t think so.” I replied.
“No way! He’s adorable,” Ria said, shocked. “Lanie, darling, I think you should make a move. He’s great and he’s showing interest…”
“No, no, no.” I said firmly, “I just met him today and he’s hardly even a friend yet.”
“Okay then. Suit yourself.” But I could tell Ria wasn’t finished. She wasn’t just going to let it go.
The game started. I scored a goal ten minutes into the first quarter. I gave Ria and another midfielder, Rebecca, high fives. Then Belleview scored, tieing it up. The score held up for another quarter, and during the third quarter, Belleview scored again.
Five minutes later, Leah dribbled up the field and scored, making the game a tie again. The pressure was on. The whistle blew to end the quarter and our team made our way off the field.
“Excellent game, girls.” Said Coach Thompson, “Just get out there and score, and we’re in the championship.”
So we did. I received a perfect pass from Rebecca and I sailed the ball into the goal three minutes from the end of the game. We won, and it was amazing.
Our team was going out for pizza after the game, but I had to go see Matt and Adam before we left. “I’ll be back in a sec.” I promised Leah.
Matt jumped on me and gave me a huge hug. “Fantastic! You were great, Lane!”
“Thanks, Matty,” I said hugging him back. “What did you think, Adam?”
“Eh, you were okay,” he said, shrugging and cracking a smile.
“Ahaha. I see…” I said, grinning. “Well, the girls are expecting me. I better get going. I’ll see you guys tomorrow.”
“I’ll pick you up, if you want, around five,” said Adam. “We could get something to eat.”
“Yeah, I’d like that. Five it is.” I replied, “Buh-bye, Mattypants.” I said giving Matt a one-armed hug.
“Bye, Lanie.” He said.
As I walked away, I heard Adam laughing. “Mattypants?” he asked, which was followed by loud exclamations from Matt.