Well, I'll Wait 'Til You Listen, I Won't Say a Word

In Which Adam Sings.

I woke up on Saturday morning a happy girl. I couldn’t wait for Matt’s gig and dinner with Adam. It was gonna be a good time.
But Saturday isn’t usually very good, mostly because it’s a day when my mom is around.
Let me explain. My dad died when I was ten years old in a car accident. Mom has always been bitter since then, especially towards me. Why that is, I’m not entirely sure, but Matt and I have come up with a theory: she’s jealous. I have everything she wanted and still wants to have. Good grades, friends, confidence and a pretty decent, enjoyable life. Things have always been more difficult for her.
As a kid, her grades were low. She was a wannabe, the girlie, annoying kind that follows around the popular people at school. She had even struggled with anorexia for two years. But I’ve never had any of those problems.
She bonds so well with Kayla because of some of those reasons, where I have nothing in common with her except for my looks.
So on Saturdays, she makes me do chores, go to the store, walk the dog, et cetera, while Kayla is out with her friends. I’ve put up with it for years. Today I was bouncing through them. I didn’t care, tonight was gonna be a blast!
So at 4:30, I took a shower and slipped on my favorite shirt and jeans. I got all my stuff together in my button-covered bag and minutes later, the doorbell rang.
“LANIE! Some kid’s here, asking for you!” Kayla yelled up the stairs. I could tell she was mad, probably because Adam interupted “My Super Sweet 16.”
“Coming!” I came down, and sure enough, there was Adam, a red Nirvana t-shirt on his lanky frame.
“Ready to go?” He asked, smiling.
“Totally,” I yelled over my shoulder, “Kayla! Tell Mom I’ll be back around nine!”
“’K, whatever!” she called back.
Adam and I got in his beat up old Toyota, him opening the door for me, and went.
He was quiet for a couple of minutes, until he broke the ice by saying, “So. How did you meet Matt? You guys are practically Siamese twins.”
I laughed, “Well, in second grade this nasty girl named Jessica would make fun of me for being skinny and taller than the rest of the kids. Matt was the one who was loud and obnoxious enough to tell her to quit it. And we haven’t seperated since.”
He grinned. “I see.”
“Did you have any good friends back in North Carolina?” I asked, genuinely curious. He hadn’t told me too much about his life before he came here.
“Yeah. I’d known them forever. We actually had a little bit of a band going, but it wasn’t working out. We only had one gig, and it was a disaster.” He said, with a chuckle.
“Cool. What do you play?”
“I don’t. Well, I play guitar, but in the band, I sang.”
I was pretty surprised. He didn’t seem like much of a singer. “Really? Sing something.”
“I don’t think so.” He said firmly, his eyes on the road, “Trust me, you don’t want to hear it.”
“No, I do.” I replied, “I promise not to laugh or anything.”
“Alright,” he said, giving in. “Tell me where to go, and when we get there, I’ll sing for you.”
“Deal,” I said. “Turn here, we’ll go to Chancho’s. They have amazing nachos.”
“Nachos!” Adam said excitedly, “I love nachos.”
I laughed. “Good.”
Five minutes later, we arrived at Chancho’s. “Okay, Adam. Sing.”
“Okay. Don’t laugh, remember?”
I nodded solemnly. He took a deep breath, opened his mouth, and sang.
“Well, I'll wait ‘til you listen
I won’t say a word
to follow your instincts
just never worked for me
you’re silent but strong,
Yeah, I'm playing that card,
and you’re noticing nothing again.”