Well, I'll Wait 'Til You Listen, I Won't Say a Word

In Which Adam Meets The Band.

“Wow.” I was shocked. Adam’s voice was beautiful.
“Wow as in ‘Wow, that was great,’ or wow as in ‘That was so awful that I’m speechless?’” He said, some worry in his voice.
“No, that was absolutely amazing. I’ve never known anyone that could sing like you. It’s soulful and different and…great.”
“That means a lot. Thanks, Lane.” He said, his voice soft.
“Anytime.” We sat in silence for a moment.
“Sooo,” he said, breaking the silence, “Ready to get some nachos?”
“Yeah.” I replied, grinning. But I could tell there was something more behind Adam, from they way he sang. He had a lot more to him that he wasn’t ready to tell.
Our dinner of nachos and Pepsi was quickly devoured. I learned a little bit more about Adam, his old band, and his siblings, his old town of High Point, North Carolina, and he asked a whole lot of questions about me, my friends, my family, and the town of Middleborough at large.
At 7:30, it was time to head over to the bar that Matt was playing at. When we got to the bar, I was greeted by Fred, the band’s guitarist, who gave me a quick hug.
“Long time, no see, Lane!” He cried.
“Hey, Fred,” I said, smiling. “How’s Elena?”
“Great, thanks.” He said, grinning back. Fred’s about three years older than Matt and I, but he was a fantastic guy that I’d known for a long time. He’s actually a little bit of a father figure to me. He’s patient and mature, and he’s helped me with lots of problems in the past. Elena is his steady girlfriend of two years.
“Fred, this is Adam. He’s just moved here from North Carolina.” I gestured to Adam, who was standing beside me.
“Hey,” Fred said, shaking his hand.
“Nice to meet you,” said Adam, all manners. I’d noticed this about Adam: though he can be immature and loud and funny and reckless, he was also extremely polite.
Then, I saw Mark, Matt and Eddie coming towards us through the crowd, Mark towering over Eddie and Matt.
“Lane!” said Eddie, “Ready for the show?”
“We’re going to own that stage,” said Matt jokingly, a wide grin spreading across his face. He reached over to give me a high five.
“Totally,” I said, grinning. “Hey guys.”
“Hi, Lanie,” said Mark. I’ve also known Eddie and Mark forever. Mark’s a few years younger than me and sort of serves as the little [though much larger than me] brother I’ve never had. Eddie, on the other hand is a little older and a whole lot louder. Not that Mark isn’t loud. “Fred, we’re on in five minutes.”
“Alright,” he replied, “See you later, Lanie. You too, Adam.”
“Bye, good luck!” I called. I turned to Adam, “That was Mark and Eddie with Matt. They play drums and guitar. And Antonio…you haven’t seen him yet. I don’t know him that well. He sings.”
Adam nodded, “They all seem cool. Jeez, all of you guys are so close.”
He’s a pretty observant guy, I thought. “Yeah. I’ve known all of them since I was little. And then the band…now we’re even closer.”
We sat there for a moment longer. I felt Adam’s eyes on me, watching, searching.
“Let’s get closer to the stage, shall we?” I said.
Adam grinned, and we headed up front for the start of the show.