Well, I'll Wait 'Til You Listen, I Won't Say a Word

In Which We Go To Fred's.

The show was great, as usual. The band has ton of potential, and I know they dream of hitting it big. Adam and I went backsatge to see the guys after the show.
“What’d you think?” cried Matt as soon as he spotted us.
“It was great, Mattypants,” replied Adam with a laugh.
Matt scowled at him. “Thanks a lot. Did ya like it, Lanie?”
“It was really, really amazing, Matt.” I said, grinning at him. “What are you guys gonna do now?”
“Fred suggested that we go to his place and hang out for a little while. Sound good to you?” said Matt.
“Yeah, sure. As long as you don’t mind, Adam.”
“No problem. I’d love to go. But I have to leave at ten, I promised mom and Nathan…” he trailed off.
“Sure, so we’ll leave then.” I decided. “Are they heading over now?”
“Uh-huh,” replied Matt. “I’m catching a ride with Ed, so I’ll see you over there.”
Matt left after getting his bass and the rest of his stuff together. Adam and I hung out for a few more minutes and then went outside to Adam’s car, where I gave him directions to Fred’s apartment.
When we reached the apartment that Fred lives in with Elena, we were greeted loudly by the boys and warmly by Elena. We watched some T.V. and drank about six liters of Mountain Dew each. It was a whole lot of fun. Those guys are the best people to hang around with in the whole world, and I wouldn’t trade them for anything.
Ten came around, and Adam had to get home. The party was still going strong when we left, but I had to get home, too.
The car ride home was quiet, and for some reason, extremely awkward. Adam seemed to be deep in thought.
We pulled up to my driveway. “So, um. Thanks for driving me. I hope you had fun.” I said to Adam quietly. Why was he acting this way?
“No problem, Lane. Anytime. And it was great.” He said, faltering a little bit, “Listen, sorry for being a little awkward. I can…get that way sometimes. But thank you for introducing me to everyone. I had a lot of fun.” His brown eyes looked honest and sad.
“You’re welcome. See you on Monday?”
“Yeah, I’ll see you then. Maybe I’ll call you tomorrow.”
“I’d like that,” I paused. “Goodnight, Adam.”
“See you, Lane.”
I walked up my driveway to my door, thinking all the while about the talented, mysterious boy named Adam Lazzara.