Well, I'll Wait 'Til You Listen, I Won't Say a Word

In Which I Spend Quality Time With Adam.

Sunday moring, I woke up thinking. My curiosity was making me crazy. I got some breakfast and did my homework as I did every morning, but I couldn’t wait for Adam to call.
Around eleven, the phone rang. I answered it excitedly, hoping it was Adam. And it was.
“Hello?” I asked into the phone.
“Hey Lane, it’s Adam,” came his voice from the speaker.
“Hey Adam! What’s up?” I asked him.
“I was thinking…maybe you’d like to go to lunch with me? We could stop by my house afterwards, and you could meet my mom and my brother. But only if you want to…” He trailed off, sounding unsure.
“I’d love to,” I replied reassuringly. “When are you gonna pick me up?”
“Ah…30 minutes?”
“Sounds great. See you then, Adam.”
“Alright,” he said. I could practically hear the smile in his voice, “Bye.”
I hung up the phone, smiling like crazy. There was something about this boy that interested me so much. He was different than anyone I’d ever met before.
So after I got ready, Adam knocked on the door. We left after I told my mom where I was going and I got her grunt of approval.
We went to lunch at Panera on main street, and afterwards we walked around town until we decided to head to Adam’s. All the while we had fun just talking, getting to know each other better. At one point, I got a text message from Matt, and I figured it could wait until I got home.
On the car ride over, Adam and I talked a lot about music. He was a huge Lifetime, Nirvana and Coldplay fan, something we definitely had in common.
We finally reached his house. It was an old house at the edge of town with sparse landscaping and a picket fence.
“It needs some work,” he said, noticing my scrutiny, “I’m trying my best to help Mom fix it up.”
“Cool,” I said, “I’d be happy to help sometime, if you want.”
“Yeah, that’d be cool,” he said looking at me and grinning, “Shall we go in?”
“Sounds great,” I replied.
We went into the kitchen, where we saw a woman, around 50 years old. She had brown hair and the same honest eyes as Adam.
“Mom, this is Lane.” Adam said to the woman.
“Oh! Hello, there.” She said, a large smile on her face. “I’m Mrs. Lazzara. Pleased to finally meet you! Adam’s mentioned you quite a few times.”
Adam blushed and examined his shoes. I saved him by saying politely, “Hi Mrs. Lazzara. It’s nice to meet you, too.”
“Come on, Lane,” said Adam. “I’ll show you my room.”
We went upstairs to a room with white walls adorned with a Lifetime poster and low ceilings. A bed with a blue blanket on it was in the corner, and a beat up dresser against a wall.
“Sorry about my mom,” said Adam, looking very apologetic.
“Not a problem,” I replied. “My mom can be annoying, too.”
A boy that looked a few years younger than Adam and I passed the doorway with headphones in his ears. He noticed that Adam had a guest and took them off.
“Who’s this?” he questioned. He had a lanky build similar to Adam’s.
“Nathan, this is Lane.” He turned to me, “Lane, this is my younger brother, Nathan.”
“Ah, I see…” he grinned, trailing off suggestively. He popped the headphones back in his ears and continued on his way.
“Ugh,” said Adam, clearly frustrated.
“Don’t worry about it,” I said. “So, you never really did tell me. Why did you guys come here?”
“Well…I guess I should tell you. It’s still kind of…upsetting.”
“If it’s too personal, it’s okay. I don’t mean to be nosy.” I said carefully.
“No, it’s okay.” He took a breath, “Okay, so my dad…he died. He had cancer. It was bad. Really bad. We left because of all the memories. We needed a new start.” He became very interested in his hands.
“Oh, Adam. I’m really sorry to hear that.” I reached over and hugged him. He looked as though he needed it.
“Thanks, Lane,” he smiled as we broke apart, though I could see he was still in pain.
“I lost my dad, too.” I said shakily, “When I was ten. There was a car accident.”
“Something we have in common then. A crappy thing, but something nonetheless.” He looked at me for a moment, thinking. “I’ve only known you for a few days, but you really are a great girl.”
“Thanks, Adam. You’re pretty great, yourself.”