Down Memory Lane

Different Perspectives

The men piled back into the car and drove out of the city, all chatting about their club experience of the night. Matthew looked out of the window, lost in thought about Audrey. He couldn't forget that voice, or the way she made sure the crowd was having a good time. How she looked at him, even if it was brief. She probably didn't notice me, he thought, rationalizing the situation. She was probably just glancing my way.

He went on to think of what she must be like off-stage, his daydreaming getting the better of him when someone snapped their fingers in front of his face.

"Hey! Matthew!" Leo said into his ear, causing Matthew to flinch at the proximity.

Matthew blinked a few times, bringing himself back to reality. "Yeah?" he asked, looking around at his friends in the car. He couldn't believe they actually caught him daydreaming now, of all times. They would usually leave him alone in the world he dreamed up.

"Someone's on Cloud Nine back there, and I'm not talking about Leo," Victor said, smirking at Matthew through the rearview mirror before returning his gaze to the road.

"Ah, Shut up," Matthew replied, rolling his eyes as he tried to hide his blush. He busied himself with looking out the window, suddenly interested in the houses the black car was passing.

"You're carrying a torch, buddy. Admit it," Victor teased him as he drove.

Matthew turned and glared at him, his brow furrowed in annoyance. "I am not," he insisted, making his tone as serious as he could.

"You are keen on her, Matthew. Just admit it before Victor starts up again," Jesse grumbled, tired of the squabble between the two. He was laying his head against the window, trying to sober up from the drinks he had. The loud insistence from the car's louder passengers was hurting his head.

Matthew sighed a long sigh before saying in a defeated tone, "Okay, okay. I like Audrey. Are you happy now?" He rubbed his temple with his thumb and forefinger, his eyes shut at them making him admit it. He didn't want them to know just yet because then-

Hoots and cat-calls rang throughout the cab, Leo slapping Matthew on the back in a congratulatory manner. Matthew laughed, the thought finishing in his head. Because then they would start making a big deal out of it. He heard Jesse groan at the new noise and laughed a little at his friend's state, feeling sorry for him that his headache just got worse.

"The man finally admits it!" Victor said, smug that he was right. He took one hand off the wheel and pumped a fist in victory. "Now," he said, his tone taking on a serious aura as he put his hand back on the wheel. "you need to see her again."

"I know," Matthew agreed, nodding in Victor's direction.

"You know?" Victor feigned shock that Matthew knew of such information. "Well now, what are you going to do about it, then?"

"I'll see her tomorrow." Matthew looked out the car window as they rounded the corner onto his street, watching the familiar street sign pass his window and fade away.

"Oh you will, will you?" Victor asked as he pulled up to Matthew's house, the car rolling to a stop. He turned around in his seat, his arm slung over the headrest so he could look at Matthew.

Matthew gave Victor a wavering look. "Yes, I will, Victor." He opened the car door and got out, shutting the door gently for Jesse's sake.

"See you later, Lover Boy!" Victor shouted through from the barely cracked window before driving off.

Matthew waved them away, not even waiting for the car to turn of his street before he walked up the steps and into his house. The yellow house had a small wrap-around porch, a screen door in front of the dark wooden door. He opened the door with the keys he had in his pocket, shutting the door quietly as he hung his hat on the hall tree.

_________________________________________~~~

"You sang well out there, Audrey," She heard over her shoulder as she was finishing getting dressed. After checking her hair in the mirror, Audrey turned to see one of the background singers, Betty. Her black hair was in a bun, her dress the color of midnight. It framed her petite body well.

"Thanks, Betty. You weren't so bad yourself," Audrey complimented back, smiling up at her from her chair.

Betty nodded a thank you, picking up her purse and putting the strap up on her shoulder. "There were a lot of fine men at the bar tonight," Betty noted, as she walked towards the exit, Audrey following her once she picked up her purse and shut her work locker. "Did any of them catch your eye?"

Audrey looked thoughtful for a moment, not speaking until they were on the sidewalk. "No one has really caught my eye yet. Maybe if they came more than once I'd notice, or if they had a certain quality I would notice," Audrey mused, as they both walked to the corner, each flagging down a different taxi.

The taxis pulled up, one behind the other. Each girl went to their separate taxi, and opened up the back car doors to be let in. "Hey Audrey!" Betty called out before she was completely in the taxi.

Audrey turned, half in and half out of her own cab.

"You will find someone. I'm sure of it." Betty smiled before disappearing into the cab, and shutting the door. Audrey smiled and slid into her own, giving her driver her street address as she slid down into her seat, looking out of the window.

She thought about how everyone, even her own coworkers treated her, just because she chose to do what she wanted to do. She loved to sing, and didn't want to be just a housewife who cleaned and looked after her children. She wanted to be known, to be famous and a star. Her mother frowned on that, as did her father. They forbid her to do such things, but she did it anyway.

Typical teenager behavior, her mother called it.

Disobeying the rules, not doing as you were told. Audrey was sick of being told what to do. She was eighteen, for heavens sakes. Plenty old enough to do whatever she wanted to do with her life, without interference from her parents. She knew what she wanted to do, and she went for it.

Guilt always came after the fact, though. Guilt at hurting her mother and father, guilt at getting them into this mess. It all went downhill. Not rock bottom, but close.

"Miss, we've arrived," the cabbie informed her.

She thanked him and gave him the money for the trip, and stepped out of the car, shutting the door behind her. Holding her purse close to her chest, she walked up to the front door, rummaging in her purse for the keys to the door. Before she found them, the door opened, revealing her father.

He made a motion for her to come in, and she quit rummaging, walking into the house.
♠ ♠ ♠
1,219 words.

I apologize deeply for this Chapter being out so late. This Chapter has given me trouble, and refused to be written. Hopefully this does not happen again.

Comments are love. <3