Status: One seriously depressing Hiatus. [That took me nearly a year to admit to].

All It Is, Is Just A Name

Chpt. 3 Grey's P.O.V.

Setting Cloud, my guitar, back in her case I look around the room for the last time. Here I am seated on a bed in a room that’s not really mine, in a house that’s not my home, in the town of Fairfield California. The same place I have been for the last three years, eight months, and twenty-two days. But now I’ll be going home. Just that thought alone has my mind replaying what has happened since Sierra and I came here.

Dawn Ann Summers was murdered on July 7th 2006, the same day that we were put into Witness Protection. By July 10th I had an entirely new identity. My fake life story goes something like this: “My name is Avery Michael Green, my sister’s name is Jane Michele Green. Our parents died in a house fire and we moved from Boring, Oregon to Fairfield California to live with our aunt and uncle, Doug and Cindy Johnson. We were both home schooled and didn’t have many friends until we moved here. With all of our possessions burned we only have memories of life in Boring….” and then some more bullshit about our past.

The gang members that were after my family are now all in prison or no longer breathing. It took longer than we had expected and while all of this has been going on I have been trying to keep myself busy and possibly have a life. For freshman and sophomore year I went to Fairfield high and made a few friends. We would sit together during lunch, play video games after school and occasionally go somewhere on the weekends. But after talking with Annie, our Federal Marshall, about the future I decided it would be easier and more convenient to home school. Besides studying, playing my guitar and working weekday mornings as a clerk at the Piggly Wiggly's down the street I've been exploring what California has to offer. For the most part it has been an alright experience.

Doug and Cindy are all around good people, they remind me of those Ma & Pa couples you see in old westerns. With Cindy constantly trying to feed you something and Doug always there to give you life advice they’ve made this whole ordeal a little less tragic. Sierra loves them and within a couple of months of being here she was already calling them Grammie and Papa. She has taken this much better than I have and I couldn’t be happier that Cindy and Doug are going to legally adopt her. Even though I know she’ll be better off living with them than she would be with me it still hurts to leave her here. Its not like I won’t see her ever again its just that we were all each other had… she’ll be safer under her false identity and she’ll be happier staying here. I just have to remind myself that if she stays with Doug and Cindy I know she’ll get everything I never had growing up and that’s all the big brother in me wants. Feeling a tear slip down my cheek I quickly wipe it away. Trying to keep myself from breaking down I resume packing hoping to give both my hands and eyes something else to do.

Ten minutes later I had everything I owned packed up: two suitcases of clothes, linens in a duffle bag, two boxes filled with book, photos and knickknacks, Cloud tucked in her case and a messenger bag for my electronics. With a bag on each shoulder and both boxes in my arms I teetered out of my room. Just as I was passing the kitchen Doug walked out blocking my path.

His bushy mustache twitched as he smiled, “Looks like you could use some assistance there Son.” It wasn’t a question and he didn’t wait for my reply he simply took the top box and started walking towards the door.

Smiling at the old mans ways I followed him saying thanks when he held the front door open for me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you all who have commented you are appreciated :]