Status: Goin strong

28 Days Later Rewrite

Quarantine

I felt a chill pass over my whole body as my fingers began to twitch with sudden feeling. My breathing sped up as I tried to move the rest of me but I had never felt so stiff in my whole life. A jolting ache went up and down my back that caused my eyes to open quickly. They did not move, I stared at the ceiling, wonder what was going on. I finally tilted my to the right, seeing white walls and other dull colors. A small table next to me covered with medication, used needles and a series of tubes that I soon realized were attached to me made me figure out that I was in a hospital.
I sat up despite the struggle and squinted my eyes to observe more of my surroundings. I heard no sounds coming within or outside my room, causing myself to panic. I quickly pushed myself out of the gurney, ignoring the needles pulling out of my hands and arms, and rushed out of the room to find myself on an empty balcony leading to a just as empty lobby.
Sweat began to prickle on the back of my neck and palms that caused me to shiver as a heavy breeze washed over my bare body. I found spare scrubs in a room next to me and quickly headed downstairs to the lobby.
The whole place was scattered with trash and waste along with papers, fliers and broken objects. I had to caution myself as not to injure my bare feet. I made my way across the room to a ruined vending machine with soda covering the whole area but with some intact cans that a greedily grabbed at.
My thirst felt unquenchable and I chugged two or three cans of Pepsi before I felt hydration again. My stomach growled in hunger but I could find no satisfying food besides expired chips and bars.
I looked over to the row of pay phones and sprinted. I desperately put all of the phones to my ear. I heard no tone or voices on the other line and once I had listened to each individual pay phone, I felt the pain of confusion and fear in my chest. The feeling had to be beaten down to not cause to much panic. My last encounter with a panic induced crowd and environment cause me to end up in this hospital in the first place.
The knowledge of knowing that I at least knew how I got here was comforting, but the fact that I have woken up to being alone and to emptiness was still a mystery.
I picked up one of the only grocery bags that had no wholes or rips in it and filled it with Pepsi cans and a few napkins. I soon made my way out of the deserted hospital and to the outside world.