Status: Goin strong

28 Days Later Rewrite

Fries and Zombies. And Fifty Bucks.

I couldn't think a coherent thought, but I'm pretty sure the closest thing I had to one was where the hell is everyone?. Deep in my mind I had theories and fantasies of what might have happened to all my missing peers, but I wasn't focusing on that. I was just trying to find someone.

There had to be someone. But I walked for hours. The city looked normal, peachy as ever-- the only difference being the paper scattered about the ground. And there were cars parked haphazardly all along the street.

What the hell? This had to be one of the weirdest fucking dreams I'd ever had.

I wanted to call out for someone, but it was like my lips were sealed shut. I was scared, but more than that, I was curious.

I'm not sure how long I walked, but it was starting to get dark out. And that really didn't give me a good feeling in the pit of my stomach.

There was a small building with flickering lights. Was there anybody here? Was there anybody anywhere?

I was drawn to it-- maybe by the possibility of finding someone... or maybe it was just calming me down, giving me false comforts. It didn't matter. I went inside anyway.

No lights on the first floor, I found. No one there. I went to the stair case and but paused. I could hear... something. Not a specific noise. Maybe not even a noise at all-- just the feeling that someone was there.

"Hello?" I finally called out.

No answer. Maybe I hadn't been loud enough. My voice felt barely there. How long had I been under?

I took a few steps up to the second floor and now I saw the dim, flickering light still just one floor above me. A few more steps.

There was a loud guttural growl behind me. It easily broke the silence. Sounded wet and-- inhuman. And I spun around to meet it. I'd been right, I wasn't alone.

It was a-- person, covered in blood. Screaming, groaning, running at me. Were they hurt? What was wrong?! It didn't matter, I ran anyway. Obviously they meant to cause me harm. That I understood from the horrible feeling spreading through my gut.

I think it was then I really got my voice back. I yelped and continued up the stairs, only now I was desperate to get to that light.

I was too slow, this-- thing had caught my pants leg and I screamed out. Somebody help me.

Bang! Bang!

I heard.

Bang! Bang! Bang!

I glanced behind me, the thing was on the ground and it wasn't making any more movements toward me. Then I glanced up at my light. It wasn't there anymore-- instead there were two men. One of them was wielding a large gun. The other had a similar gun slung around his shoulders but holding a smaller handgun.

I opened my mouth, unsure of what to say, but it didn't matter. Before I could let out any kind of relieved sigh, I heard another growl, a scream. So fucking inhuman. So-- fuck.

Someone grabbed my arm. "Get up." A command I obeyed. I let themlead drag me up the next flight of stairs.

Behind me I could see whatever those things were, there were more, and they were chasing us vehemently. That was, of course, until I saw a large flash. An explosion. Felt it behind us. Fire. They were gone. But whoever was pulling me away, they didn't stop. Didn't even slow down.

What the fucking hell had I missed?
♠ ♠ ♠
oh ho ho. mcdonalds.