Snowed In

Snowed In.

It was warm where I was sat, wrapped up in a blanket under the arm of my best friend in front of the fire. Neither of us had been paying much attention to the TV in front of us for the past three hours. I could hear the wind howling outside, and could only imagine the amount of snow it was bringing with it. We'd been out in it earlier, the snowstorm, hence the fire being on. Gabe had offered me a snowball siege against the kids next door who had been hassling us when we left his car. Needless to say we both ended up cold and wet with three little kids crying to their mothers next door. Mrs Bryarson still hasn't been over to "tell us off" yet. My socks were still sat in front of the fire half dry, and Gabe was still chattering mindlessly to me.
"And then she goes 'Gabriel! You totally just ruined my new shoes! These cost me fifty bucks!' and I seriously just laughed. It was the worst thing that she's ever said. She says it like it was a bad thing! Those shoes were hideous, man," he concluded.
"Haven't I told you not to get on your mom's bad side, Gabe?" I giggled. He always made me laugh.
"Well, yeah, but it's so much fun," he grinned. "When's your mom home?" I looked up at the clock, 6:55.
"About five minutes. She's over at your moms, she'll be bored by then," I laughed.
"Hey! My mom is the shit."
"Sure, Gabe."
"You're just jealous, Tasha."
"Pfft, you wish."
"Oh? Are you telling me I'm wrong now, little girl?" I pretended to think for a moment before answering.
"Yes, I believe I am." An evil grin spread wide across his face, and he recoiled his arm from me.
"You're going to pay, Jones."
"Bring it, Saporta." And with that, he jumped on me. His fingers moving up and down my sides, tickling me. I started to squirm under his touch, giggling until my sides hurt.
"Say my mom owns your face!"
"N-Never!" His fingers continued up and down my sides, and I was finding it hard to breathe. "F-Fine! MY MOM OWNS YOUR FACE!" He stopped, momentarily confused.
"No. Wrong answer." And he started his assault afresh.
"GABE'S MOM OWNS MY PATHETIC FACE!" I screamed, finally. He stopped, again, a pondering look on his face, still sat on top of me.
"Hmm... To stop, or not to stop?" He thought it over for another second or so before his grin reappeared. "I think I'll continue. You were being nasty about my mom." It was literally only moments into his third attack that the phone rang in front of him, and he had to stop again to answer it. "Damn you, whoever's calling!" He said before answering. "Hello, Jones residence!...Oh, hey Mrs Jones!...Yeah, uh huh. Look out the window? What? Why?! Dude, do not make me move...Okay, fine I won't tell you I'm sat on her... What? She's comfortable!"
"GABE, STOP SCARRING MY MOM!" I screamed.
"She says hi, Tasha," he winked.
"You're dead when you move." He ignored my comment
"Just tell me! You're killing me here!...YOU'RE SNOWED IN?! Shit, man. That's serious...Yeah, I guess me and you are trading places for the night then...Don't worry, I'll look after her!...Hey! I take offence! I do not get her into trouble. She gets herself into it...Yeah, sure, Tasha's an angel. Pfft, you wish...Sorry Mrs. Jones, it's all my fault...That's not fair! That's one time I've given her the idea! She's the bad influence on me!...Okay, bye! See you in the morning when you get back!" And he hung up. I hate getting only half the conversation.
"What did she say?"
"She's staying at my house, and I'm staying here. Whole town's snowed into their homes, and apparently I'm a bad influence on you," he said, somewhat disgusted at the conclusion my mother had drawn. A very well drawn conclusion, due to all the information she knows about Gabe. He was an accidental troublemaker, and somehow I got dragged into that with him. I groaned.
"You mean I'm stuck with you all night?"
"It's like Christmas come early, isn't it?" He grinned.
"Sure, if you wanna call it that."
"Please remember I'm still in the perfect place to tickle you."
"Hey! I meant it! It's like Christmas come one day early!"
"Oh, Tasha! WE GET A WHITE CHRISTMAS!" He screamed, suddenly realising what all the snow meant.
"No shit, Sherlock." He squealed like a five year old girl in a toy store and jumped off me.
"TASHA, THIS IS AMAZING! Aaah! Fun! A white Christmas with you! Best year yet," he grinned at me, pulling me up and making me dance with him.
"Okay, sure it is Gabe, just let me sit down!" He quickly let go of my hands, and I fell back onto the sofa.
"I'm going for whatever sugary goodness you have in the fridge, join me?" He was still grinning. It was like that expression had been permanently fixed onto his face.
"Just go raid the fridge, I'll be here when you get back, don't worry." And with that, he skipped off to my kitchen, leaving me in peace for a minute or so. Don't get me wrong, it's not like I didn't like how he was. I loved it. It just got a little much if I had to put up with it all night. I had to have a break for a little while, didn't I?
"Okay, okay, okay! So in comes this guy, right, and he likes covered in just whatever random shit we could find, and he's fuming. And I mean fuming. If it were a cartoon he'd have had steam pouring out of his ears. And we're just sat there with the normal-est face we can manage, and he's looking around for these guys, who he thinks it is. And we totally just got them into the biggest mess they've ever been in, and it's all their own fault for like swarming around Vicky, and they just sit there and take it all. There's just us lot, sat across the room watching them, and they're looking smug, like they're impressing her. God, it was the funniest thing ever!" I concluded my tale of what had happened only the day before, when some guys had been hitting on our friend, Vicky. She always manages to get them swarming.
It was almost midnight, and Gabe and I were still only just starting to get onto our sugar high. I loved nights like this with Gabe; they didn't seem to happen often enough, only when one of our parents were out of town. I couldn't think of anything better than a sugar-filled night with Gabe, not one thing. Except perhaps a sugar-filled Christmas eve sat in front of my TV with snow surrounding us, the exact way tonight was.
"Tasha..."
"Yes, Gabriel?"
"Ga- What?" I smiled innocently up at him from the spot my head had found on his shoulder. "Oh, I'll ignore that. Your face looks to adorable. Anyway, I want an open fire!"
"Fine, have a- Wait, what?" I shot away from him, with a look on my face that must resemble a deer caught in headlights. Gabe + fire = bad. Very bad.
"An open fire. Can we have one?"
"If you think I'm letting you near wood and matches, you're sorely mistaken. Don't you remember the time you almost burnt Vicky's hair off with an aerosol?"
"Ah, good times," he sighed, a dreamy look crossing his face. I looked up at the clock, 11:55.
"Gabe, it's Christmas in five minutes!" I screamed. As I suspected, he jumped and fell off the sofa, dragging me with him, as he had had his arm around me for the past couple of hours and had grabbed onto me as something to keep him up whilst he fell. I landed on top of him with an 'oomph', followed by laughter escaping both of our mouths. I rolled off him and laid between him and coffee table, laughter still coming from both my mouth and his, echoing around the room and drowning out the terrible Christmas movie we had on.
The two of us were still laid on the floor after our laughter had died, his arm around me and my head once again resting upon his shoulder. "Two minutes, Gabe," I whispered to him. "I'd say 'Merry Christmas', but I'm afraid you'd throw a fit and tell me it's too early."
"I'll make you a deal," he chuckled, eyes moving from the ceiling to me.
"What?"
"You can say Merry Christmas after I've given you your Christmas present." I looked at him, confused. He hadn't had anything with him the entire day, he couldn't possibly have hidden a gift from me in my own home, could he? "Deal?"
"Okay, deal," I agreed, eager to know what my gift was.
One minute.
"God, this is harder than I pictured. Every thing's so easy when you imagine it, isn't it?" He asked himself, causing me to giggle. A smile crossed his face.
"Stop holding out on me!"
"You uphold your end of the deal first."
"Merry Christmas, Gabe," I grinned. He renewed his smile.
His lips pressed softly to mine, my eyes flickering shut, only moments after his.
The clock chimed quietly in the hallway, as Gabe and I pulled apart.
"Merry Christmas, Tasha."