Penny For Your Thoughts?

Penny For Your Thoughts?

“Jacie! Hurry up!”
“Coming Sampson!”
“Jacie! Watch out!”
And that’s all that I can remember from that day.


Hello. My name is Jacie. I’m fourteen years old and I live on a military base in Japan. When I was seven years old I was struck by a car. That’s what I’m told anyway.

My best friend of the time Sampson was apparently calling me to come and play tag. When I ran after him I didn’t look both ways.

I can’t remember that day, anything before that day, and a period of two years after that day.

I can’t remember Sampson.

My mother told me that during the two year period that I can’t remember after the accident his family moved away after his dad got transferred.

So now, I’m a military brat in Japan who can’t remember her childhood and who currently can’t keep many friends.

Also, did I mention that I’m lying in the grass in my backyard staring up at the sky at the moment?

Yeah, it’s summer break. Two weeks of me sitting at home musing about life. Awesome for me right? My mom and dad are both in the military. Both are working right now. My little brother and sister are away on a school trip. My current best friend Nathaniel is God knows where.

Why is it that whenever I need him he’s nowhere to be found, but whenever he’s bored I can’t get him to leave?

The clouds didn’t appear to have an answer for my silent thoughts. Not coming up with an answer myself, I dropped that thread of thought and reached for another. This one haunted me constantly day and night.

Sampson…

My best friend whom I had known since birth. Whom I couldn’t remember. My mom had shown me pictures of us together when we were young. None of them jogged my memories whatsoever. In truth I felt completely disconnected from the pictures. I couldn’t even identify myself from that time. I felt like that was no longer me. That after the accident, that me had died and this me was born.

I tried to explain that to my therapist once. She told me it was a side effect of the amnesia. Would it have lasted this long though if that’s all that it was? I’m not stupid or helpless. I’ve done my research. Most with amnesia would have regained their memories by now. I’m one of the oh so lucky few who will probably never remember…

I wish I could remember. I want to remember so bad. Whenever I look at those pictures… His smile warms my heart almost. I know if I could remember him… then we could be friends again maybe… Maybe if I could remember I wouldn’t be so alone…

No one ever really got why not remembering bothered me so much. Not even Nathaniel. After a while I just stopped trying to explain it.

Why waste my breath?

The only ones who seemed to get me were the clouds above my head.

Like my memories… Oh so obviously there… but completely out of reach no matter how hard I try.

“Penny for your thoughts Jacie?”

The smooth, rich voice startled me out of my daydreaming. I sat up quickly, causing the beanie on my head to fall over my eyes. This in turn startled me even more and I squeaked at the sudden absence of the sun.

The voice chuckled. It had moved closer. Then I felt hands lifting the edges of the beanie just enough that the owner could peer under the rim and into my eyes.

My hands froze midway to reaching for my head and I blinked into the warm green eyes that were staring into my own hazel eyes.

Those eyes…

“Um… w-who are you?” I stuttered out, still caught up in the sudden snag those eyes had caused in my mind.

A small, sweet, almost knowing smile graced his face. He moved back a bit and I was now able to really look at him. He was a lean built boy who seemed to be about my age. Light chestnut colored hair fell very prettily into his pale face. Warm green eyes sparked from behind his bangs and small pink lips curved into a smile that completed his looks in a way that seemed too perfect to be real.

I noticed all of this in about 30 seconds, trying to be nonchalant about it, adjusting the beanie back on my head.

He seemed to have noticed something in my stare though because his eyes got a certain glint that I couldn’t quite identify. However, through it all, he remained silent.

“Um… your name?” I prompted shyly.

He lowered his lashes half way and I could feel my heart melting at the sight. It reminded me of the fact that I am a girl and I do have a weakness for gorgeous guys and their ways of looking incredibly sexy without meaning to.

“What’s your name?” He asked, seeming to look me up and down slowly before returning his gaze to my face. I felt my cheeks warm slightly.

“You know my name. You said it just a moment ago.” I replied, tucking my knees to my chest in a way of shielding myself from his view.

“Did I?” He questioned, tilting his head and causing his bangs to fall away from his face and reveal the full wonderment of his jaded eyes.

I blinked, momentarily distracted.

Something about those eyes…

“Penny for your thoughts?”

“Your eyes…” I blurted out before thinking about how odd that would sound.

“What about them?” He coaxed in a very soothing voice.

He could probably convince a hobo to give up his box.

“Something about them…” I trailed off, not sure of what interest they really held for me.

“Something about them what?” He prompted, his gaze not wavering.

Time seemed to be moving incredibly slow between the two of us. Outside of an invisible bubble that encased us I could see a butterfly fluttering about my sister’s flowers on the porch. I could hear cars passing by the house on the street.

Something about them…

“…reminds me of something…” I stated after a few moments.

”What do they remind you of Jacie?”

“…Sampson…” My sentence trailed off.

“Jacie,” my mother said encouragingly, “this is Sampson. He’s come to play with you.”
“Jacie!” Sampson called from across the street. “Come look at my new kitten! Her name’s Kitty!”
“Jacie,” Sampson started quietly, staring at the sand passing under his feet as we swung slowly in the park. “Will you be my friend forever?”
“Jacie…” Sampson said. It’s the day he’s going to leave… “I’ll come back. I promise. Because we’re friends forever. Never forget that.” He had a warm smile on his face. I loved that smile.


“Sampson…” I said again, eyes going slightly wide.

“Hey Kitten.” He replied, using my nickname and giving me the warm smile that I never stopped loving.