Wandering

Covered in Dirt

By noon everyone was showered, changed, and had eaten lunch. It took Emma and I a half hour to walk to the store and by the food we had eaten over the twenty six miles we covered. We bought ice to keep everything cold, cereal for breakfast, jelly and peanut butter for sandwiches, and cold pizza for dinner. I also grabbed some milk, juice, and water for the liquid that we obiviously needed. Just to be safe we got some medicine, crakers, ginerale, blankets, pillows, and clothes for each season.
When we got back to the motel we divided the three coolers. One was for the refridgerated foods. One was for the food that would normally go into cabinets. And one for what would normally go into a closet. Still we each had our own bags on our backs. Caroline went to check out while I made an announcement.

“I want all of you to know that everynight we won’t be sleeping in such a comfortable place. Sometimes we will be sleeping in the woods or on the side of a street. I don’t want any problems on this trip. I want to say that I am more than happy to be your leader, friend, theripist, mom, grandma, aunt and role model. I want Kevin to be all of that with me. I chose him because the girls can talk to me and the boys can talk to him. Kev, please accept this.”
It took us about ten minutes to load the bikes and get rolling. I had Marissa in my basket so I couldn’t go fast. Mare sat there reading a book she brought from home. She was very smart for her age. This book had 500 pages. She started it when we left and was already 50 pages into it. I am really proud of her. She looked so peaceful right now.
On the way to wherever we we were going, we passed miles of corn fields, grasslands, and herds of cattle. I was finally letting me be myself when we pulled over for a pit stop. I was four o’ clock. We hadn’t covered enough ground. In those four hours we only covered 30 miles. My plan was to cover forty to forty-five. I had everyone do what they had to do and we were back on the road in less than twenty minutes. I had a strong feeling that we would be sleeping in a corn field that night. We covered only eight miles before sunset, but it was better than nothing. After dinner we all fell asleep. That next morning, we woke up at the crack of dawn and quickly ate breakfast. Around eight thirty we had already covered ten miles.
I noticed that everyone was sweating and covered in dirt from sleeping in the corn field. So I found a nearby streem for all of us to wash off in. Once everone was clean, We all washed everthing that needed to be washed. That included pillows, blankets, and clothes. It was only nine in the morning, so I figured that it was too early for lunch. Still, I asked if anyone was hungry. To my surprise everyone was still full from breakfast.
Emma had a great idea: to hold the wet clothes out behind us as we move to dry them. So what we all did was tie the sleves or pant legs to the backs of the bags we carried on our backs. We didn’t unload much so everyone was riding faster than I expected.
Things weren’t as bad as I had thought. I thought that we would have been caught by now. Everyone was behaving in a way that we never would have back home. In a way that we all got along. When we past a rest stop I thought a bunch of different things at once. Do we have enough food to last us a couple of days? I need to be sure about this because I have no idea how long we might be away from a rest stop by sun down. I should ask if anyone has to use the bathroom because it was almost noon. What the heck, we should stop.