Wandering

The Largest Order Ever!

So I called everyone over and told them the game plan. Emma and I made sure we had enough food to last a month. We also made sure the milk wouldn’t spoil and the food had a far enough away experation date. Why? So then if we are away for a long time, no one will get sick by eating spoiled food. I was never this tired in my life. But I knew that the more rest we got, the more tired we would be. I also didn’t want anyone mad at me. I went to the counter and got everyone some food.

“Kayla. We have food on the bikes. Why do we need to order?” Emma asked. I was surprised, she never really talked.
“Because. We don’t really know where we’re going. So I want to save the food for when we really need it.” I replied. Even though I thought it was pretty self explanatory.
“Thanks. I was confused for a second.” She did look confused.
“ No problem. Now I want you to go get everyones orders.” I ordered.

She came back with a list that read:

Andy- Cheeseburger w/ fries and a Sprite
Jason- Chicken fingers w/fries and a Sprite
Mare- Chicken fingers w/ mac n’ cheese and a Sprite
Kev- Chicken salad and a Coke
Frank- Hamburger w/ cheese fries and a Diet Coke
Mike- Cheeseburger w/ cheese fries and a Coke
Emma- Double cheese burger w/ cheese fries and a Rootbeer
Eric- Doublecheeseburger w/ mac n’ cheese and a Rootbeer
Kay- Cheese bruger w/ cheese fries and a Rootbeer
Car- Chicken salad and an Iced Tea
Kris- Cesaer salad and an Iced Tea
Marie- Mac n’ cheese w/ extra cheese and a Rootbeer
Lilli- Chincken fingers w/ fries and a Sprite

“Can I have two cheeseburgers, two chicken finger meals, three chicken salads, one hamburger, two double cheeseburgers, one caser salad, two sides of fries, one side of mac n’ cheese, and three sides of cheese fries?” I ordered.
“It will be out in about ten minutes” The cashier responded in a very surprised tone. I think she was surprised because of the immense group I was with.
“I want everyone quiet. Everyone will get five dollars to buy something. I don’t care what it is, but it has to be under five dollars,” I announced. “I want you to buy something that will keep you occupied when we aren’t on the move.”
“Anything we want?” Lilli asked.
“Yep, anything you want. I want you to get something that you want. Not something vital to the trip.” I had to make sure everyone knew what I meant. I didn’t want anyone to feel responsible. “When the order comes out, I’ll call you.”

Everyone went scurrying off into different directions. The whole room was full of the cheers of the family. Even the ones who weren’t six years old, acted like they were six. These past couple of days had been tough on everybody. Seeing them like this, made me feel like I gave them some of their freedom back, since we had been under so much pressure. As soon as we could find a way into the next state, things could start all over. A clean slate, like nothing ever happened.

“Orders up!” The cashier yelled.
“Thank you.” I replied. “Come on. Finish paying and come eat.”
“I’ll be right back. I want to buy a couple of things. You gonna be alright?” I asked Emma. She was all so shy. I didn’t want her to feel like I was dumping too much on her. I relied on my older siblings because I was in the middle. I had no one else to help me with this. I wasn’t going to dump on her, but she was right there.
I looked anxiously for something to so. I already had a map, so directions were covered, batteries and vital things were taken car of What else was left? I also wanted to buy something to keep myself entertained. I could choose between a yo-yo, a video game, and a notebook with a pen. I chose the notebook with a pen because I wanted to write down everything that happened to us. I went to the cashier and purchased my items. I went to eat and told everyone that we had a long ride until we stopped again.

“Does anyone want to use the bathroom before we go?” I announced
Once again everyone replied, “Yes please.”
“I’ll take the girls, Kev, the boys. Meet right here when your done. Got it?” I asked.
They replied, “Got it.”

When everyone returned to the table Kevin and I loaded up the bikes. I wanted everyone to enjoy a little more freedom before the pressure was back. Only then did I realize that everyone was starting to become happier. Not just because of the freedom I had just given them, but for a reason I didn’t know.