Universe Inventions

.003

By the end of the week, thousands of shipments went out from different warehouses by the hour. There were inventions for every age group, whether it was transforming baby toys, interactive music players, virtual life televisions, or invisible hearing aids. The world wanted more, and if it had Universe Invention's logo stamped on it, it was sure to be flawless -- thanks to Norah.

"What's this?" she asked a man in a white suit, bent over what seemed to be an empty workplace. He scooted to the left to let Norah take a closer look.

"It's what's implanted in each invention, for...you know." He didn't dare say it out loud. Norah could sense the fear in his voice. She backed away with her clipboard and removed her goggles, looking more closely at the busy workers around her.

"Norah White! How's the work coming along?" Robert Lanson, back on the prowl.

She took a deep breath, not looking at him. "What happens to the workers...when they buy the products?"

He bounced on his feet uneasily. "Well it depends if they know. It's all part of the plan. What we call "bugs", which Smithenson is working on," he pointed to the worker Norah just had a conversation with, "is implanted into each invention. They each have a number, and as the products are bought, the number goes up on our databases."

A computer hang on the ceiling. Anybody could look directly up to see in huge numbers how many products have been sold. 29,578,200. It was increasing by the hundreds in a matter of seconds. Lanson leaned closer, inches from her ear, and continued.

"I have the control of which inventions are affected by the bugs. I have the control of who lives and dies."

Norah looked at the workers again. Some laughed as they moved, talking to their fellow co-workers. She could tell on their faces and how they carried themselves who knew and who didn't. "I'm not sure this is right, Mr. Lanson. Who are you to decide this?"

"I'm not deciding. Fate decides." He laughed and patted her on the back and walked away. "It's all in Fate's hands, Ms. White!"

She sighed. "Fate is inevitable. This is inevitable.