WonderLand

Plans and Goodbyes

I can only handle so much in one day. Angrily, I spun on my heel to glare accusingly at Hatter, who smiled innocently back.
 
"What is he doing here?" I demanded, pointing rudely at Griffin.
 
"Why, Alice, Griffin and the White Knight are our two best men here at the resistance. They will be able to protect you no matter what happens, even if the Cat marches in here with the entire Queen's Army." The Hatter explained cheerfully.
 
"No." I said as I crossed my arms defiantly over my chest, my tone as unshakable as a granite slab. "I refuse to go anywhere with that... that..." I struggled to think of an appropriate word to describe Griffin, "...that mean person." I finished, failing miserably.
 
"Oh come now, Alice," Griffin smiled genially at me. Though 'smile' might be too liberal of a word-- 'leer' is closer to the truth. "Can't we put the past behind us?" He batted his golden eyes innocently.
 
"Hm, let me think about tha-No." I replied shortly, fixing him with the coldest glare I could muster.
 
"Ah, I see you two have a bit of a... history already," Hatter said, realization dawning on him.
 
"He assaulted me in the middle of the forest!" I accused, spinning around to face Hatter. I remembered something, and narrowed my eyes suspiciously at him. "Under your orders too, as I remember it," I spat.
 
"I take offense to that!" Griffin cut in, rather indignantly. "I never assaulted anybody!"
 
"It was implied!" I pressed, stamping my foot childishly.
 
"Innocent until proven guilty!" Griffin shouted, waving a fist in the air.
 
"Whatever happened to my civil rights?" I demanded.
 
"The defendant is out of line, your Honor!" The Griffin accused, pointing at me.
 
"Order in the court! Order in the court!" Hatter shouted above the both of us, while Hare pounded a gavle--lord only knows where he got it--on the tea table. Hatter frowned disapprovingly at us. "Honestly. I haven't had to do that since the Great Tart Trials of '94."
I flushed, suddenly very aware of how I had just behaved.
 
"Now look what you've done," I snapped at Griffin defensively. "You've got me acting all ridiculous like the rest of you. Hatter, I refuse to spend another moment with this man. He is a disease upon mankind!"
 
"Why my dear Alice," Griffin sneered sarcastically, his face reddening with suppressed anger, "I assure you, the feeling is mutual."
 
"Please, please! Stop it, you two!" Hatter cut in, interrupting my nasty reply. "Now look here," Hatter said, rounding on Griffin with a stern frown. "You are going to  protect Alice with everything you've got. And you'll be polite about it too, got that?" Hatter demanded. Griffin snorted derisively. Hatter glared at him. "Got that?" He repeated dangerously. Griffin rolled his eyes and grit his teeth, but visibly deflated.
 
"Got it." He snapped back, sourly. Seemingly satisfied, Hatter now turned to me.
 
"And you won't give him any lip, and will follow his directions, understand? It is his job top keep you safe, and if you go and get yourself killed because you didn't want to be told what to do and blatantly ignored Griffin's orders and walk into a trap or something, I'll... I'll..." He struggled to think of an appropriate punishment for my hypothetical misbehavior, "I'll... feed you to a bandersnatch!"
 
"Hatter, my friend," Hare spoke up, still reclining at the tea table lazily, "Perhaps you should simply take Griffin off the case. The White Knight is an excellent fighter on his own, I'm sure he can take good care of dear Alice."
 
"Out of the question." Hatter replied stonily. "I refuse to underestimate the Cat. Alice is our only hope, and if that means she has to put up with Griffin-"
 
"Hey!"
 
"-Then so be it." Hatter finished firmly. "Is that understood?" He glared at both me and Griffin.
 
Griffin rolled his eyes furiously, and I breathed heavily out my nose, but we didn't have much of a choice.
 
"Fine." Griffin snorted, grudgingly.
 
"But I'm not happy about this." I snarled, crossing my arms over my chest. This was all I needed. After being betrayed by the only person who I thought I could trust, I then find out I have to run for my life from him with only the person I hated the most as company.
And the White Knight, of course.
 
I had almost forgotten about him, as he was simply standing silently to the side inspecting his fingernails as if they were intensely interesting, with a rather embarrassed expression on his face. It was easy to tell that he felt like he was intruding. A wave of guilt washed over me, and I turned away from Hatter, Hare, and Griffin (the Doormouse was out of sight, having curled up to sleep somewhere under the table).
 
"Look, I'm sorry about all this,” I said to him sincerely. “I mean, we haven't even been introduced and here I am acting like... like a spoiled brat,” I admitted, though truth be told I still felt I had every reason to be upset with the turn of events. The expression on Hatter's face however told me in no uncertain terms that until I was out from under his watchful eye, I should at least pretend to be apologetic.
The White Knight glanced up at me at my words, a pink flush creeping across his cheeks.

“Oh no, it's no problem at all My Lady, I do assure you,” He insisted hastily. He attempted to give an awkward bow, though he was somewhat hampered by his ill fitting armor. “I am the White Knight,” He introduced himself mid-bow.

I have a rather awkward curtsy of my own, and said, “I'm pleased to meet you. My name is Alex. Alex Riverman.” I made sure to speak a little too loudly and enunciate a little too forcefully than was strictly necessary, but the last thing I wanted to do was spend an hour trying to convince the knight my name was Alex, not Alice. Assuming he would even care, which, if he was like everyone else I had so far met, he wouldn't.

“See now, that is the sort of behavior I want to see!” Hatter said cheerfully, his sour expression replaced by his usual beaming smile.

“Yes, that is all very well and good,” Hare cut in, frowning, “but don't you think we have wasted a little too much time dawdling around like this? We only have twenty-four hours before the Cat returns, and we have already wasted...” He fumbled around the tea table until he pulled a rather battered looking pocket watch from the dark depths of the jam jar. He inspected it closely, banged it on the table a few times, placed it against his ear in an attempt to listen to it's inner mechanics, slammed it down a few more times on the table, and finally gave up and threw the thing over his shoulder. “Well, the point is we have already wasted more than enough time. You all really had better get going to the Chess Board if you want to beat the Cat there.” Hare finished solemnly.

“Yes, he is quite right,” Hatter agreed, sobering up immediately. “Time is running short, and the outer edge of the Chess Board is at least a half a day's ride from here.”

Hare stood up and finally left the table, coming over to stand beside Hatter and look concernedly at me.
“Alice, dear, you are going to have to be very strong,” He said quietly, frowning at me. “From here on out, life in WonderLand won't be easy for you.”

“You'll have to face countless trials and tribulations,” Hatter added, reaching out and taking my hand in his. “Everyone will be after your head, in one way or another; and I don't just mean the Queen.”

“There are other dangers here, apart from her, Alice, so keep your eyes sharp and your wits about you.” Hare took my other hand, and held it tightly. “Everyone is counting on your, even if they don't know it. So far you have been very lucky, you have managed to escape trouble time and time again by the skin of your teeth, probably without you even realizing you were in trouble in the first place. I suspect you won't always be so lucky, and one of these days there won't be someone by your side to help you.”

“When that day comes,” Hatter continued, gazing at me with perhaps the most serious expression I had so far seen him wear, “When that days comes, you will only have yourself to rely on. Don't be caught off guard. Learn the Rules of WonderLand. Learn to play the game, and don't be afraid to cheat. You are our last hope. Please, be safe.”

“And remember, dear Alice,” Hare's voice dropped to a whisper. “You can't trust anyone.”

“The Doormouse will fit the three of you up with gear and supplies.” Hatter went on, now addressing the White Knight and Griffon as well, his tone suddenly official, “Head directly for the Chess Board and make haste. No detours, and watch your backs.” He returned his attention back to me, his dark eyes searching mine. “I hope we meet again soon, Alice.”

“We'll be waiting. You've been a dear.” Hare added. They both kissed the backs of my hands, then released me. I felt curiously shaken by the sudden turn of events. I didn't think I really wanted to leave the Tea Shoppe. I felt safe here—or more safe than I did anywhere else, at least. I didn't know much of what awaited me out in the rest of WonderLand, and what little I did know wasn't very reassuring.

But the decision had been made, and I had long since learned that my own opinion on matter mattered very little here. I was going to the Chess Board with Griffin and the White Knight whether I liked it or not.

“Goodbye Hatter, goodbye Hare,” I replied, a little stiffly. I twisted the hem of my ridiculous borrowed dress in my hands, unsure of what to do now, before finally deciding I didn't have any dignity left anyways, and throwing my arms around their necks.

“Don't worry, I'll be back with the Queen of Heart's crown before you can finish your tea,” I promised, squeezing the two men tightly. “Thanks for everything.” I pulled away, my face stony, determined to pretend that my sudden break in character was no big deal. “Now, are we gonna get going, or what?”

Hatter and Hare beamed at me.

“Of course! You haven't a moment to spare. Doormouse!” Hare bellowed. The Doormouse jerked awake and sat up suddenly, cracking the top of his head on the underside of the tea table.

“What? Huh? I'm awake,” he looked around bleary-eyed while gingerly rubbing his head.

“Doormouse, take Alice and the other two to get supplies for the trip, then down to the stables to choose their mounts. Hurry, hurry! We haven't a moment to spare!” Hatter commanded, urging the Doormouse to his feet.

“Alright, alright! Come on!” The Doormouse grumbled, grabbing my hand and dragging me after him as he shuffled towards the door that led back into the interior of the Tea Shoppe.

“Goodbye Hatter! Bye Hare!” I called again over my shoulder to the two men, as the White Knight and Griffin fell in step behind the Doormouse. Hatter and Hare waved, beaming, until the door swung shut and blocked them from view.

Our journey was about to begin.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay... I have NO excuse for the abismal lateness of this chapter. I was just lazy.
And I know I promise each opf you individually practically that I would "have it up before the week is over!" buuuut....
I lied, apparently.
However, it is up now! Finally!
And honestly, Aren't we all entitled to a horrific breach of Author-Updating Ettiquite every once in a while? I mean, okay, I haven't updated since May, but I suck. That goes without saying.

On the other hand, I have fallen in love with the band Flogging Molly, and still need to read three books for my summer reading even though school starts in like two weeks. Yay me!!!
So I am gonna go do that now before it is too late and I get kicked out of life.

Oh, and by the way here is a little shameless self-plugging: PACE_girl and I are working on a joint story called WildWood. Check it out, it's pretty good if I do say so myself.
Anywhos, I have some stuff to go not do, so I'll run along now. Later, and please don't hate me for the delayed update!!!!!

~The Writer