If You Still Care Don't Ever Let Me Know

Chapter 8

"Dad, where are they?" Nathan walked into the sitting room of his fathers house, with a frown on his face. Brian looked up a little bit over whelmed with a baby by himself.

"Gone." Brian sighed.

"But I thought you where gonna have them here until I got more siblings?" Nathan sat on the sofa, while his aging father held his baby brother in one arm and picked up other toys off the floor. "Jamie, stop." With a swift order the toddler listened to his older brother.

"How the hell... Forget about it. We split buddy, these things happen. Thought you'd be happy she's not here anymore?"

"Are you happy?"

"Are you my psychologist?"

"Are you gonna stop giving me siblings?"

"Nate, remember the line we talked about when you where five?" Nathan nodded at his father. "Yeah you are crossing it. Watch it." Brian put Kris down on the sofa and plonked down beside him. They sat in silence for a long time before Brian spoke again. "How's mom and Brooke?"

"They're ok." He didn't move his eyes from the blank television screen. "I'm going to bed. Night dad."

"Night buddy." He called to the closed door. "Now for me other buddies." He looked over to Jamie who was passed out on the floor and then to Kris who was slowly nodding off beside him. This is gonna be interesting, he thought.

Brian lay on his bed listening to the baby in the bed beside him softly breath deeply. He smiled softly, all his children had slept beside him and Michelle. Between being sick, frightened and a pain in the ass, their children had ruined many, many between the married couple. But not Kris.

Brian stroked the child's hair, he was growing up fast. As babies, they all looked the same. Dark brown fine hair, hazel eyes and the chubbiest cheeks. He couldn't believe that his youngest was almost a year old. He wondered would his next two children look like him. Would they have his hair? Would they have his eyes? Or did his children just look like his wife.

Somewhere between the what ifs and would they, Brian dozzed off beside his son. He heard a faint noise, as he moved his hands to cover his ears. He wasn't ready to be awake yet. He stretched over and grabbed his phone, not even looking at the caller ID. "What?" he whined.

He jolted up as the caller spoke and Brian went into a panic. He walked up and down the hall, checking his children each time he walked by their doors. He stopped at his room door looking at Kris. He dialled Matt's number.

"Matt I need you to watch the kids." He didn't even wait for his brother in law to answer. "Like now."

"Man its," Matt looked at his alarm clock and groaned. "It's 4.30 in the morning man go back to sleep. I'll be over in a few hours with the boys."

"They're gone into labour. I can't wait that fucking long."

If it hadn't been so early in the morning Matt would have laughed at his friend. "I can't come over. The boys are asleep and my wife is gone off for the weekend with your wife. Try Brooke." With that the line went dead.

He really didn't want to ring Brooke. She hadn't spoken to him in five months. Not even an argument. But he figured if he rang her enough, she might be worried and answer. He shrugged his shoulders and hoped it would work.