One More Night, Before It All Ends

Joey's Friend

I had some free time so I decided to call Elizabeth. I was really missing her and Ellie. It made me so happy even just to type her number in and hit send and to see the words on the phone, “Calling Elizabeth.” When I heard a pause, meaning an answer I think my heart might have skipped a beat. It would be so hard to even explain how much I love Elizabeth.
“Hello,” I heard a voice answer, that wasn’t Elizabeth.
“Oh, Alexis. Hey, it’s Joey. How is everything going? How is Ellie? How is Elizabeth? Where is Elizabeth?” I felt the need to ask so many questions, to make sure there wasn’t a thing wrong with my two perfect angels. If there was it was my duty to try my best to fix it.
"Joey, thank goodness it's you. Liz went to the bathroom, but Ellie's here, if you want to talk to her," Alexis responded sounding relieved.
“Of course I want to talk to her,” I said smiling and sitting down on my bed that was in a room with a bunch of other beds, of other guys that were there for the same purpose as me. I was very excited to hear Ellie’s adorable little voice.
"Daddy, I miss you," Ellie whined into the phone.
“Daddy misses you too sweetie,” I replied, “and loves you a lot.”
"I wuv you more. Here comes Mommy." She said in her cute little voice.
“Okay, baby, let me talk to her,” I said happy to get to talk to Ellie then Elizabeth.
"Hey baby," the sound of Elizabeth's voice was off. It sounded as though she'd been crying.
“Hey, are you okay?” I asked, my voice sounded a tad different as well because of knowing she was probably crying.
"Yeah, I'm good," she lied, "what about you? How's basic? You make any friends yet?"
“I’m fine, but I miss Ellie and you.” I took a moment to think about the other questions. Okay so how was Basic. I thought. “Basic is pretty good, tiring I guess,” Then the last questions have I met any friends. Well I was really cool with some of the guys, but I wouldn’t really consider them friends. Alex was a friend though. “Well I made one friend, his name is Alex.”
"Alex sounds friendly," Elizabeth said and I could hear the smile forming on her lips. "I miss you too Joey. You're always on my brain."
“He is, he can make stuff awkward sometimes though,” I said, thinking about awkward moments with him. “I better be on your brain,” I added, kidding.
"Awkward how?"
I didn’t really know how to explain. “Well, he’s really childish and it can be awkward sometimes, plus he’s gay,” I tried to be quiet with the last part, because it could cause him some trouble if some people found out.
“Joey!” I heard his voice scream, and then I was tackled so that I was laying on my back on the bed before I could even turn to look at him.
“Dude, you hurt me,” I said laughing. Then said to Elizabeth, “Elizabeth, speak of the devil he is here now.”
“Elizabeth? I want to talk to her! I want to meet Joey’s girl,” he said excited. If Elizabeth was here she would understand what I meant by how he was childish. I just shook my head no, I wanted to talk to her, not him, I missed her.
"Oh don't be selfish Joey, let me talk to him," she whined.
“Fine,” I said handing him the phone.
“Hi,” He greeted her, pretty loudly. “I’m Alex.”
"Nice to meet you Alex, I guess you already know I'm Elizabeth."
“Yeah Joey talks about you a lot,” he said before deciding to lay down on my bed with his head in my lap.
“Dude!” I said, trying to show him how awkward I thought it was, but he just laughed at me and looked at me with his blue eyes. He had the second greatest eyes I have ever seen, Elizabeth’s eyes being the first. It sounded awkward saying a guys eyes were great though.
"Promise me you'll take care of him for me Alex, Ellie and I would feel much better knowing you'd be watching after him," she asked Alex hesitantly.
“I’ll watch over him. I will be like his guardian angel, except I’m not dead. Or maybe like a body guard! Anyways, he will be fine,” He said, sounding excited to have a mission. “I have a question though. Has he always been so easy to make feel awkward?”
"Are we still talking about Joey?" Elizabeth said sarcastically.
“Yup yup!” Alex said. “Can I talk to Ellie too?” He asked excited, I guess it just popped into his head of talking to Ellie.
"Ellie, come here," Alex and I both heard Elizabeth yell on the other end. "Say hi Alex, okay?" she coached.

"Hi Alex, my name is Ellie," the child said with pride.
“Hi!” He said smiling; he loved kids, maybe because he acted like one. “I’m your daddy’s friend,”
"Like how he and mommy are friends?"
“Um,” You could tell he was thinking. “Your mommy and daddy are a different type of friends, they are closer friends. People can only have one friend like that at a time,”
"That's not fair," Alex could obviously practically hear the pout on her lips.
“Oh, I know it isn’t,” He agreed. “I’m sure everyone would love to be that kind of friend with daddy,” The way he said that sounded so weird. As if he liked me that way. Of course he didn’t, what was I thinking, we are just friends.
"Okay, tell Alex bye sweetie," Elizabeth said in the background. "Bye Alex," she said sadly.
“Bye bye,”
"Okay Alex, can I please talk to Joey again. Not that I don't want to talk to you," Elizabeth said in a very pleasant tone.
“Hey,” I said when Alex handed me the phone back.
"Hi."
“What are you doing?” I asked.
"Right now, I'm watching Alexis put a coat on Ellie so they can go and pick up the pizza we're eating for dinner. What about you?"
“Oh cool, sounds yummy,” I said smiling, as if she could see my smile. “I’m just chilling here with Alex.”
"I hope I'm not disturbing your bonding time then."
“No, you aren’t,” I replied.
"If not, then what are you wearing?" she asked in husky a voice.
“I love Joey,” whispered Alex, and I looked down and for some reason he was fast asleep. He must be having some weird dream; he doesn’t really love me, not like that anyways.
“A green shirt and green shorts, oh how attractive,” I said, laughing a bit.
"Oh yeah baby," Elizabeth said through a giggle.
“You so would want me so bad right now if you were here,”
"Uh-huh, you know I would babe."
I wasn’t sure if she was being sarcastic or not but either way I said, “I am irresistible.”
"That you are Joey, that you are."
"I love you," I felt like I couldn’t tell her that enough.
"I love you too." I loved those words from you, I thought.
"Good, otherwise I would have to come back to convince you to love me,"
"Convince me how?"
“I’m not sure,” I replied, which was true, I’d find a way though, I’d die if she didn’t love me.
"You have to nothing to worry about babe. My heart will forever be yours and no one else's."
“Okay, good,” I said, and right after my phone lost service.
I would have had a fit, and really wanted to because I was loving talking to her, but I couldn’t I would wake Alex. I tried to start sliding out from under him because my leg was beginning to go numb, but he woke up. I watched him as he sat up, as he yawned, as he stretched, as he wiped his eyes, and then as he looked at me with those eyes and put his hand threw his brown hair.
“Hey, sorry for waking you,”
“It’s fine,” He said smiling. “Elizabeth is a very nice girl, and I already love little Ellie,”
“Yeah, they are perfect,” I said.
“Like you!” He said excited.
“Nope,”
“Yes! Joey is perfect! Joey is perfect! Joey is perfect!”
“No, stop, that’s childish,”
“Joey is perfect!”
“Stop saying that please, it’s not true,” I said, starting to get annoyed.
“Agree and I will,”
“Fine, I’m perfect,” I said, sighing.
“Yay!” His face looked as if he was a little kid who just got candy. “You really are though. Your eyes, your hair, your lips,” He traced his fingers over my lips, I shivered, it felt too strange. “The shape of your eyebrows and nose, just everything.”
I just nodded, not sure what to say. I was thinking. Then a while later I said, “You like me Alex, don’t you?”
He pulled me into his lap, kissed my neck, and said, “Yes.”