The Queen's Keeper

chapter four; beasts

Image

Evangeline and Henry walked along the edge of the forest, in the darkest, coldest time of the night. The only sounds were that of their feet padding upon the ground; no animals were awake at this hour, no other people wandering about. “I had forgotten it was this far,” Henry uncomfortably looked about him, sensing something or someone was watching him.

“Evangeline?” Henry questioned when she gave no reply. She had shaken his arm off of her long ago, so that she could go where she pleased. Finally realizing it was his overcoat he held in his hand, he stopped and did a turnabout, looking around. “Evangeline?” he cried more desperately, taking a step forward. Laughter echoed from behind and he turned back around.

Breathing heavily, he edged forward, sweat pouring off his forehead, despite the coolness of the hour. Oh god, he silently cursed, I’ve lost her. “Evangeline!” he called loudly, panicking. “Evangeline come here this instant! We don’t have time for these --”

He was silenced when a hand was placed on his mouth, his whole body going rigid, “Shh,” Evangeline whispered, “follow me.” She took his hand into hers and led him into the forest, where he had never set foot.

“We shouldn’t go this far in,” Henry cautioned after walking a good ways, “these woods are dangerous.”

“Shut your mouth,” Evangeline hissed darkly, “or you’ll get us killed!”

“What?”

His questioned remained unanswered as she only led him deeper. He tripped over many things, though he didn’t know what it was. The moon was momentarily covered up by clouds and it was almost impossible to see anything. “How do you know your way so good?” Henry asked, becoming slightly worried.

“I know my way around,” she answered evasively, stopping in her tracks. Henry fell forward to the ground, bringing her with him. Evangeline scampered up and tugged on him. “Get up you idiot!” she cried, dragging him backwards. “Don’t you know that if you stay on the ground in these woods, you’ll never get back up?”

“I’m up, I’m up,” he felt around in the darkness for her. Upon feeling the edge of her clothing garment, he pulled it and a startled cry escaped Evangeline. He realized why when he felt what appeared to be a dress in his hands, and the unearthly clinking of metal hitting ground.

Evangeline froze in fear, grasping around the ground for the key with her feet. “Give me back my dress you oaf!” she cried angrily, “How dare you!”

Henry apologetically murmured something, jumping slightly when it was snatched from his hands. He heard grunting and scrambling and heavy breathing and suddenly wished very much that he had stayed put in the castle.

“Alright!” Evangeline cried triumphantly, “I have it.” She breathed a sigh of relief upon finding the key and placed it back where it had been in the first place.

“Reach out your hand,” Evangeline instructed, “and this time, try not to tear my clothing off. It’s much too soon for something like that. I mean really, Henry, I barely know you.”

He nearly choked and jumped again when her hand found his. “Stop jumping so much,” she hissed, standing still. “I think we’re here.”

“Where is here?”

“I found a cave a week ago, with something in it. Only… it was too dark to go in and I was frightened. But now you are with me and we can go in.”

“Wait, wait!” he cried, grabbing her arms, “you don’t know what’s in there. And neither do I. and I’d prefer not to die, thanks very much.”

“Henry, stop it,” Evangeline said, as if talking to a child; she struggled to get free but he only held on tighter and she let out a strangled cry.

“Wait, stop, do you hear that?” she asked, tilting her head up.

“Hear what?” he asked, loosening his grip. He steadied his breathing and stepped closer to her. Ragged, uneven breathing could be heard from inside the cave; the walls making it echo made it sound even more frightening.

“Oh dear,” Evangeline murmured, backing up, “perhaps we should--”

The clouds cleared for a moment, allowing light to shine down into the cave. The sight that greeted Evangeline and Henry was unreal. “Oh my --- oh my…” Evangeline backed up even more, and Henry, seeing the creatures that lay before them, grabbed Evangeline and stepped back.

“Run!” he whispered into her ear, “run.”

Breathing heavily, they both stepped back cautiously, both praying that the beasts wouldn’t hear them. Evangeline scampered away, tears falling out of her eyes from the cold wind as she ran for her life. She could hear footsteps behind her, though she was unsure of whether they were Henry’s or not.

“Evangeline,” he called to her, catching up finally, “we must reach the castle before dawn.”

“Why?” she asked frantically, looking at the sky. It was becoming light and the moon had lowered considerably. He did not answer her, however, and only took hold of her arm and they both raced back towards the castle.

Limbs, leaves, and rocks were stumbled upon; a few times they both fell face forward, causing both of them to run even faster every time they got up. Just as the sky began to lighten up even more so, they reached the iron gate – their safe place. Both fell to their feet, given out of breath and energy.

Evangeline fell limply to her back, staring up at the sky, unable to move, speak, or do anything useful. Her lungs ached with such ferocity she felt sure she would die from it. Henry was the first to regain his wits and breathe. “You should open the gate,” he nudged her with his hand; her only reply was a pathetic swat at him. “I—I” she gasped and grabbed her stomach, curling up in a fetal position, “I feel certain we ran for thirty minutes, I—I” she was unable to say anything else and grasped one of the iron bars for support as she climbed to her feet.

Her face was red and sweaty and miserable looking and her gown was now brown. “I don’t know if I could survive another night like that,” she joked, grabbing another bar with her other hand. She leaned her forehead against the cool iron and breathed in deeply for a few minutes. “That was even more exhausting than making love,” she said, laughing. Her shoulders shook and her whole body trembled.

Henry made no comment on the matter and shifted uncomfortably. “Perhaps you should open the gate before you collapse.”

She nodded and murmured the words, “By God, let this keeper pass,” and immediately, it came open. “Alright Henry,” Evangeline had laughed herself silly, “just in time.”

"Those were her beasts," Henry whispered, as though afraid the Queen might here, "I know they were."

"I thought they were dead."

"No, they sleep."

"Because she sleeps?"

He nodded and placed an arm on the small of her back, leading her towards the entry way. “Oh I can make it from here Henry,” she protested. “Let me go.”

Henry smirked to himself as she stepped too soon and fell flat on her face. When she made no move to get up he bent down to see that she was fast asleep. Laughing to himself, he picked her up gently and ascended to the top.

What a silly girl, he thought to himself.

Image

“Really, Henry, I must protest.” Evangeline eyed the swords in his hands warily, backing away each time he came closer.

“Are you afraid?” he asked incredulously, tossing both swords into the air and catching them both with ease. She flinched and turned away to hide her nervousness.

“I’m not afraid of the sword, I’m afraid of… messing up,” she admitted, staring up at the sky. Inside the gates, the day looked different too. The sky was fire red with streaks of blue
running through it. The sun was hidden somewhere, behind the clouds. It was right at dusk; Evangeline and Henry had slept for most of the day, exhausted from their little escapade.

“If you mess up, only I’ll see you,” Henry offered, “and I know that doesn’t bother you. I’m not important enough; I’m not a prince or anyone else fantastically rich.” His tone was bitter and he dropped the swords and sat upon the grass. It seemed to share his burden and released a sigh as well, though he mistook it for his own sigh.

Evangeline turned around and sat down beside him. Her eyes met his and wouldn’t release them. “Henry, I know I seem horrible. Perhaps I am horrible. All I ever talk about is the prince and riches and… well I’m sorry. It’s not who I am. It’s just what I want.”

Henry shook his head. “Not all riches are in gold and princes. Have you ever thought that maybe happiness was all the gold you’d ever need? And princes, well, to be honest,” he paused and stared at the sky, “they aren’t all that wonderful. And if you were to marry him,
you’d be a mere shadow. He would hold you back… honestly, you aren’t fit to marry anyone
of noble blood.”

“What? Why?” she laid back and played with her hair, braiding the ends of it as to avoid his gaze.

“You are not… proper --” Evangeline began to protest, “In the eyes of them,” he finished swiftly, “the ones who decide that propriety is the best way. They think that if you are a woman you must keep your mouth shut, your legs open and your heart closed.”

She nodded and turned over on her side, a tear falling down her cheek. “Then I shall have to marry my betrothed. And he will die soon and then no one would want me.”

“You’re betrothed?” Henry asked incredulously, scooting closer.

“Yes,” she sniffled and covered her face, “I’m due to be married once they find a way to kill the Queen.”

“Maybe he’ll die before then,” Henry joked, “after all, it must not be easy to kill the queen if they have not yet found a way.”

She smiled to herself and turned on her back once more, her hands folded over her stomach. “I won’t marry him, Henry,” she angrily spat, “I won’t. Eleanor can’t make me. I’ll run away… I’ll run away to the moon.”

Henry smiled at her defiance and lay down on his side. “Then I’ll go with you,” he told her cheerfully, “I have nothing here for me. And besides, who else would want to be your keeper?”

She turned her head towards him and they stared at one another for a while. “Alright then,
Henry, it is agreed. We shall both remain unmarried on the moon; and I, in my old age, will worry you to death still. And you, with your sword fighting skills, shall fend away all my enemies.”

They laughed at the thought and Henry sat up. “Very well then, Evangeline. But until the time
comes, you should learn to handle a sword.”

Groaning, she closed her eyes and pretended to fall asleep. “I will force you to if I must,” Henry warned. Evangeline sighed once more and sat up, reaching out her hand for his. He helped her up and handed her a sword.

“Are you ready?” he questioned.

She shook her head ‘no’ and he laughed, tossing his sword hand to hand. “Just remember everything I told you.” She laughed hopelessly and pretended to look far away. “What’s that?” she asked, pointing.

“What’s what?” he asked, looking.

“I’m ready!” Evangeline called, and with a mischievous smile, lunged at a very much ready Henry with her sword.

Image
♠ ♠ ♠
i'm on a roll. yay. (:
feedback is appreciated, keeps me and the story moving along.

btw; if you haven't read this, you SHOULD. it's finished and ahhhhmazzzingggg.