The Queen's Keeper

chapter seven; news

Image

Evangeline was unsure of herself as she made her ascent towards the top. Sleeping alone after all that she had just heard seemed like a terrifying idea. Her room seemed to loom angrily at her, every shadow plunged into darkness; the floorboards seemed to creak even more loudly than they usually did. The candles had flickered out; she had been gone longer than she realized. Frightened, like a child, she stepped back, closing the door as quickly as she possible could. With her back upon the wall, she edged her way down the hall, feeling of the sharp objects until they finally disappeared and she felt a smooth door.

She silently prayed; Let it be Henry’s room, please, please, oh please. She had never been in his room before. It made her stomach churn nervously as she closed her eyes and silently prayed once more: Let it be Henry’s room, please, please, oh please.

The door knob opened easily enough and she darted in, closing it louder than she had wanted to. She cringed, hoping she hadn’t wakened him. She heard the bed creak and closed her eyes, remaining still. She didn’t want him to think her an intruder. Within moments, a cool blade and warm flesh was against her neck. Breathing rapidly she cried out, “It’s me, Henry, it’s me.”

“Oh dear god,” he angrily whispered, “I could have killed you.” Dropping the knife, he spun her around with his hands tightly gripping her shoulders. He brought her forward. His window was open to reveal the small sliver of the moon out. It wasn’t much when it wasn’t full; but it was beautiful in its own way, all the same. She watched the shadows dancing across his skin and features, smiling when he relaxed.

“I’m sorry Henry,” she blurted out, startling her own self. Evangeline never apologized to anyone. It wasn’t in her nature. So to do so was something frightening for her.

“It’s alright,” he said, releasing her. He walked to the window with bond hands on the nape of his neck. “I was… angry. And jealous.”

“Jealous of what?” she asked, stepping forward. She grabbed her hair and let it fall over one shoulder. Straightening her dress, she sat down upon his neatly made bed. When he gave no answer, she faked a cough and glanced around. “You… weren’t sleeping?” she asked.
“No,” he answered, “I couldn’t. I remember…” he laughed and placed his hands on the windowsill, “my pa used to tell me that going to bed angry would kill you while you slept. I didn’t particularly want to die tonight.”

“Are you angry now?” Evangeline asked, stretching out on the right side of the bed. Beside it, there was a small dresser and a candle flickering. Parchment lay scattered all about the surface and it was too dark for her to read the contents of them.

“No, not anymore,” he turned, instantly stiffening when he saw her lying on the bed. “What are you doing?”

She whimpered frightfully, gathering the sheet around her shoulders, “I can’t be by myself tonight, Henry, I just can’t.” Her shoulders shook as she sobbed loudly, tucking her legs underneath the blanket. “I’m… scared.”

“You, scared?” a smirk danced on the edge of his lips, though he fought it and sat on the edge farther away from her, wondering what silly mess she had gotten herself into. With a grim expression on his face, he turned towards the window and stared out. “What have you done then?”

She hesitated, trying to decide whether she could tell him or not. “I… nothing… yet.”

“Yet?” he turned his torso around to face her, shocked at the obvious fear that shined darkly in her eyes. “Tell me what it is you’re going to do that’s got you so frightened!” he grabbed her wrist and watched in earnest as she slowly lay her head down on the pillow and closed her eyes, her wrist going limp.

“I don’t want to talk about that,” she breathed heavily, “I’d rather talk about something else. And besides, I don’t know that I’ll do what it is I plan on doing.”

Henry frowned, “that’s a bit contradictory, don’t you think?”

“It matters not!” she cried, sitting straight up. “Please, please… just… talk about something else.”

“Like what?” Henry enquired, removing his boots. He rigidly stretched his legs out on the bed, turned over on his side so that he was as far away from her as possible.

“I don’t know,” she murmured, sniffling. “I don’t know.” The room went quiet for a few moments, until he could feel light vibrations on the bed. He titled his head towards Evangeline, to see that she was silently crying.

“Oh, now, now… don’t cry…” he awkwardly patted her shoulder and thought of something better to say. “Evangeline,” he whispered, leaning over. Pulling her hair out of her face, he gently caressed her cheek.

“Would you like to know a secret?”

Her shoulders stopped shaking and she turned over, so that they were now facing one another. Their breathing was the only audible noise in the silence of the night. The candle started to flicker, almost going out. The flame resisted, however, maintaining its long, futile struggle against time. Of course it would eventually run out of wax, but the fact that it was fighting meant something at that moment.

“Yes,” she answered, rubbing her eyes; they shined brightly in the moonlight and he smiled, “I like secrets.”

“Sometimes,” said Henry, “I wish upon the stars like all the other fools.”

“You do?” Evangeline asked, smiling. “I thought so, Henry. You aren’t a cruel man. Only cruel men don’t believe in the stars.”

Knitting his eyebrows in a look of anguish, he avoided her gaze. “Oh but I am cruel. I’m not good, Evangeline…” Swallowing hard, he turned on his back and listened to his own heart beating. So many thoughts and emotions ran wild through him. What could he say? What could he do? He didn’t know.

“Surely, you are,” insisted Evangeline. “I know you are.”

“No!” he cried, covering his face, “I’m not good like you may think.”

“Henry,” Evangeline whispered, removing his hands from his face, “I believe you are good. I believe you will protect me no matter what. And that you won’t let any harm come to me.”
He jerked his hands away from hers and sat up straight, breathing heavy. “You… believe
wrong then. You should know better than to trust anyone.”

Shocked, she sat up, wiping her face clean. “What are you saying? That your promise to my aunt Eleanor means nothing?”

“Your aunt Eleanor…” he trailed off bitterly, shaking his head. If only Evangeline could have known he was thinking so bitterly of another matter entirely. “I have a mind to break my promise.”

“What?” Evangeline frowned, her heart pounding. “You no longer wish to protect me?”

“Evangeline…” Henry was torn between telling her the truth or pretending that the present was preventable, “it is better not to speak of such things.”

“Henry you cannot simply bring something up and then refuse to tell someone. I shall go mad thinking about it all night now.”

He sighed and placed his hands under his head, staring up at the darkness that surrounded him. “Can you let it be, please? I will not discuss it with you. You are a child and would have no understanding of the matter.”

“Me? A child?” she hissed, hitting him in the chest. “Now who is contradicting their selves? Why, not too long ago, you commented upon my legs, shoulders and smile and insisted I was just as much a grown up as you.”

He groaned and shut his eyes tightly. “Can we forget that? I… I was caught up in the moment. And… you look lovely under the moonlight.”

“Henry you cannot compliment a girl and remark upon her loveliness if you are not willing to act upon it.” She placed her legs back under the sheet and scooted closer to him. “No wonder you never got what you wanted,” she whispered, leaning her face towards his, “No wonder you never got the girl you loved. Sometimes, we must be selfish if we are to get what we desire.” He shut his eyes tightly, feeling more and more horrible as each moment and each unspoken word went by. He was being more selfish than she could ever possibly imagine.

With a small smirk, mistaking his silence for agreement, she placed her hand on his cheek and then lay her head down on the pillow next to him. “Goodnight Henry.”

“Goodnight… Evangeline.”

With a long sigh, she closed her eyes and slept. The candle, which had been so long fighting time, died out, its smoke escaping underneath the crack of the door.

Image

Daylight came, welcoming a new day. The flowers opened up, smiling sweetly at the sun which kissed them good morning. The grass stood a bit sturdier, the dew disappeared and the birds flocked to the water, taking baths and catching tiny minnows. The village in which Evangeline’s aunt Eleanor lived was silent when Eleanor shut the door tightly behind her, covering her face partially with the hood on her cape.

In her hands, she clutched a letter from the son of Lord Charles Belington, bearing news for Evangeline. Of course, she being her guardian, Eleanor had already taken the liberty of reading the letter. Her lips were pursed angrily, wondering if somehow Evangeline had possibly had something to do with it. She shook her head, realizing Evangeline could not have. She had been at the castle…

Glancing around her, Eleanor tucked the letter into her pocket, not wanting anyone to see it. The neighbors had just started to rise and she could hear the roosters crowing in the distance. Hens could be heard clucking in the most horrible sounding manner, as they lay their eggs.

“I’m glad women don’t lay eggs,” she muttered, rolling her eyes at the sound of the angry hens. “I guess I’d be angry too…” she trailed off, smirking at the idea of an egg coming out of a woman’s body. Shaking her head, she realized how absurd and inappropriate the idea was. Clearing her throat, she marched on, not caring to observe the nature surrounding her.

Sighing, she realized she wasn’t sure why she decided to walk all the way to the castle. She hadn’t done so in a while; it had been in her younger days that she liked to explore, with her older sister. She closed her eyes, pained. Evangeline reminded her of her sister so much so, that sometimes she could hardly bare to look at her. And if only… oh, if only.

Lowering her hood, Eleanor looked back, towards the village. She had just left it and now had to climb across three hills to get to the old castle. I should have worn a different dress, she thought distastefully. This one is too hot.

Already, sweat began to pour down her face and in the most uncomfortable areas in her body. Wishing she had taken a carriage was futile now; but it certainly helped her think about something else. Think about the wheels on the carriage… the plush seats. And...

Groaning, she placed a hand on her back and she ascended the first hill. “Who would make such a big hill?” she asked. Silence answered her and she sighed once more, her eyes burning from the sun glaring down at her. With a hand on the nape of her neck, she fastened her pace. “I don’t want to be out here all day,” her breathing was labored as she finally reached the top. From here, she could just make out the castle. In a defeated manner, she sat down, ignoring that the grass was still damp and placed a hand over her forehead. Scanning the grounds, she saw three small boys playing with sticks.

Angrily, she stood up. Young children infuriated her; especially the ones in her care. She was glad she did not have to take care of boys too; they were the most awful things to raise up. Continuing downwards now, she clutched the bottom of her dress and got down as quickly as she could, thinking that if Evangeline could do something so easily, then so could she.

Image

Evangeline sat straight up in the bed, realizing she was alone immediately. Sweat made her gown cling to her back and she reached her hands and fanned it a few good times. Gathering all over her long hair into one hand, she placed it over one shoulder and threw the covers off of her. Henry’s boots were still on the floor; so were his clothes. Frowning, she lowered her legs over to side and peaked out the door, which was halfway open.

The castle was such a different place at day time. It seemed so… normal. Standing up and stretching, Evangeline bent backwards, stretching her body. Looking out the window, she did not see Henry inside the gate. Knowing that he could not get in without her, she figured he must have been somewhere inside the castle. Shutting her eyes a moment, she rubbed them and then briskly walked out of the room.

Startled to see him, she grasped her chest, stopping in her tracks to avoid a collision. In his arms, he carefully cradled large, red apples. Laughing, she placed her arms to her side, embarrassed. “I didn’t hear you coming,” she breathlessly cried, taking a step back. He smirked and dodged past her, towards his bedroom. Puzzled, she turned around quickly and followed him. He let them gently fall on top of the sheets and then rubbed his face vigorously.

“It always starts to itch when I’m carrying something,” he complained, running a hair through his tousled hair, “my face,” he said pointedly, at Evangeline’s odd expression. She relaxed a bit and sad on the edge, glancing eagerly at the apples.

“Can I have one?” she politely inquired, straightening her gown. Laughing, Henry grabbed the largest, shiniest one and bowed slightly.

“For my lady, whose beauty to which no woman can compare.”

Giggling, she accepted the apple and bowed her head slightly, “Thank you, kind sir. I should give you a kiss for such lovely words… but, I’m afraid…” dramatically, she placed her free hand on her forehead, “I am due to be married. It would not be proper. Perhaps… perhaps one on the cheek would not hurt.”

She leaned forward and he turned away, looking towards the hall. Standing to his feet, he looked back at her, “Get dressed.” Confused, she stood up too and scurried to her room while Henry waited patiently by the staircase. Snatching the first dress she saw, she pulled it over her gown and haphazardly straightened it, throwing her hair towards her back.

Panicking, she looked in the mirror quickly. “How do you know someone’s here?”She asked, dashing out of the room, taking a huge bite of her apple.

“The witch…” he paused, catching his breath when he realized he said something he shouldn’t have. “I have good hearing, that’s all,” he answered nonchalantly. Starting down the steps by Henry’s side, Evangeline smiled, despite his nervousness.

“I didn’t know you could act,” she said, taking his arm in her own.

“I… I used to be playmates with Lisette, Velkan’s brother,” he answered, through clenched teeth.

“Really? Well… he comes to play with the girls and me all the time. He writes the most horrid plays though,” she laughed, surprised that someone like Henry would actually know a prince.

“Yes,” nodding in agreement, Henry fastened his pace, “it is a shame he won’t have a chance for the crown.”

“What? But why?” Evangeline laughed uncontrollably, “He’s hardly even fit to be called a boy, much less King. It would have suited him to be a girl instead.”

“But it didn’t,” Henry argued, “And it would be a nice change to have a king who would be fair and be more interested in the people rather than the lovers in his bed or the gold in his pockets.”

“You don’t think Velkan will be a good king?” Evangeline asked, releasing his hand. She stopped mid step and glared at him. He impatiently grabbed her arm and forced her to come with him.

“We don’t have time for this. And no, I don’t think. I know he won’t be a good king. He’s horrid…I would know.”

“What does that mean?” Evangeline questioned, jerking her arm away. When Henry fell silent and refused to answer, Evangeline realized that while he knew almost everything about her, she knew very little about him. In fact, he was almost a stranger. A stranger with secrets. Opening the door, Henry stepped back and allowed Evangeline to go out first, bowing slightly to her as he did so.

Evangeline raised her head and perked her shoulders up upon seeing her aunt standing at the gate. “Oh dear…” she muttered, frightened out of her mind. She knows that I’ve been going out every night… I know it.

And then, she remembered what the witch had told her. Widening her eyes, she ran to meet her aunt. “Aunt Eleanor!” she cried, with false happiness. “What brings you here?”

“Let me in, child,” her aunt replied sternly, “it’s awfully hot.”

“Yes,” she curtsied and opened the gate, bowing her head towards the ground. Eleanor stepped in and removed her cape, handing it to Henry when he finally reached them. The two fell behind her as she briskly walked towards the castle.

“I must speak with you Evangeline,” Eleanor stated, “and you too Henry. But in private.”

Evangeline, puzzled, glared at Henry who stiffened up. Glancing at Evangeline, he cleared his throat and nodded. “I’ll tell you your news first,” Eleanor said, taking out the envelope.

She handed it to Evangeline who eagerly opened it, despite seeing the name on it.
Scanning the letter quickly, her mouth fell open. “Oh my… he’s… dead. Lord Charles Belington is… dead.”

After reading the letter, Evangeline couldn't help but to think of what the witch had told her: Tomorrow, you will have a visitor. And I think it’s safe to say that the news this bearer brings will delight you greatly.

“Yes,” her aunt nodded, taking the letter back. “He is dead. Which means we will have to find another suitor for you. But we haven’t time for that now… it shall wait.” Ignoring the look of glee on her niece’s face, Eleanor placed her arm in the crook of Henry’s elbow.

“Let us go now, to the top.”

Evangeline started towards the door to, but to her surprise, her aunt stopped her. “Not you, child.” Her use of the word ‘child’ angered Evangeline. With that, Eleanor slammed the door in her face, leaving a very angry and confused niece standing there. A very angry niece who was already scheming.

Image
♠ ♠ ♠
long update. another one is coming soon.
watchaa think?

p.s. check this out for story recommendations. (: