Quiet Boys.

Mammoths.

It was a good thing it was a sunny day, a clear day. A passionate day.
I felt like Beethoven should have been playing in the background that day.
The day Awkward Ivan went mad, and I could have died happy.
We were laying on freshly cut grass, right in my front lawn. And Ivan had this really dumb look on his face, but a dumb happy look. The kind of look people get when they’re in love. Only Ivan looked like he was in love with the sky he was staring at.
“I could do this all day, I mean just this. And there’s so many things we need to do.”
“You know, you can’t rush perfection,” I told him. “Maybe we don’t need to do it all today. It may just happen in it’s own time. So maybe we should just take today to look at cloud formations, and every other day to do all those other things.”
“But wouldn’t that be wasting time?” Ivan asked, turning his head to face me. I smiled at him, it wasn’t like I had a choice.
“Not really, if you’re doing something you enjoy, then the time is not wasted.”
“How do you know how to live so properly and I’m completely clueless?”
“You just pick up on it Ivan. It’s like riding a bike, you never forget.”
“How did you learn?”
“I lived.”
“What did you do?”
“Everything,” I said. “I was human.”
“Then what am I?” He sounded sad. Maybe he was sad because I knew all these things somehow and he didn’t. Like he was missing out on the secret to life. I think he really was.
“You’re a human, that is just a little lost. Something strayed you the wrong way many years ago. And now I have to teach you how to walk and get you back on the road. Cause you’re a little off course right now.”
“How’d I get so far gone?”
“I’m not sure. But it doesn’t matter anymore because you’re here now and you’re very close to finding the road again. And that cloud looks like an elephant.”
“It looks like a mammoth.”
“Same thing.”
“Parker, an elephant and mammoth aren’t even from the same time period.”
“Same creature. Like we’re the same. Only different.”
“So we’re a mammoth and elephant?” Ivan wondered aloud.
“Sometimes, yes.”
“Then you’re the elephant and I’m the mammoth.”
“Why?” I wondered.
“Because elephants are much better looking than mammoths.”

________

Ivan had completely messed up his knee.
Which I thought was perfect in every sense of the word.
We were supposed to scrape our knees climbing trees.
“Wow, that’s looking bad. We should probably go clean that up,” I said.
Ivan had one pant leg rolled all the way up, and blood was seeping between his fingers as he tried in vain to stop the flowing.
“That’s too time consuming.”
“And so is you limping everywhere.”
Ivan smiled a little, then I took his hand to help him up. I didn’t care if my hand was now red because of it.
“Sorry about the blood.”
I shook my head, and I licked my hand to get the blood off. Ivan stopped walking in his tracks, kind of struck by whatever it was that I did.
“What? What else am I going to do with it?”

________

“Ouch! Fuck!” Ivan cursed, holding his bandaged knee, sitting in the middle of my road.
He had done a cartwheel, which was a very bad idea with a screwed up knee.
I laughed at him, and cart wheeled over to where he was sitting in the street, then sat down next to him and smiled.
“That was dumb.”
“But, worth it,” he explained, grinning in my direction.

________

The sun went down by seven thirty, and we watched from my roof.
We had an interesting time getting up there, but we did.
Orange, yellow, pink. Lots and lots of red and pink.
“I’m in so much trouble,” Ivan blurted out, sighing a bit.
“Why?”
“I was supposed to come home right after school.”
“You rebel,” I replied, taking one of his hands in mine. I felt his fingers twitch, and I just gripped tighter.
Ivan laid down on my shingles and I laid down too. It was rough on my back but that was okay.
I had the urge to do something, so I did.
I pushed myself against Ivan, and put my head to his shoulder. I heard his breathe hitch up.
“You’re warm,” I told him.
“Warm? I’m always cold.”
“Not tonight,” I said, and then I closed my eyes.
♠ ♠ ♠
OMGOMGOMG I finally updated it.
Geez, took me long enough. >.<
I didn't spell check it or anything, so, blah.
I listened to A Clockwork Orange's soundtrack while I wrote this.
Cause I just read the book.
So, I don't even know, it's so strange.
But, okay. I'm just glad I updated.
I ignored phone calls to finish this and everything haha. :]