Quiet Boys.

Introduction.

“Ivan, why do you do this to me?”
Hi mom. I know. I know you just want to slap me across the face right now. I keep wandering away, I keep not telling you where I am or where I am going. I’m so surprised you haven’t called the police already. And I knew exactly how I wanted to reply. Was this how Parker felt? Knowing just what she wanted to say all the time and saying only things she meant?
“I do it because I’m in love.” I was still so quiet. I needed to work on it. My mom was staring at me, and I couldn’t look away. Was she going to tell me that I was wrong? Though I knew I wasn’t. But then she did this really weird thing I wasn’t expecting. She smiled.
“When do I get to meet her?”

________

Parker showed up at my house early, in a white t-shirt that was too large for her, and jean cutoffs. She did not look like a young lady. To me she looked nothing short of beautiful, but I wasn’t really sure what my mother would assume.
“Hi!” She enthused, kissing my cheek and then walking in without my asking her to. She walked up to my mother and held out her hand.
“I’m Parker Reynolds, how are you?” Parker said with a huge grin. My mother laughed a little.
“I’m Lisa Worth,” my Mom told her.
“Nice to meet you Lisa,” Parker said, without a second thought.

________

Parker continued to scoop large amounts of mashed potatoes on her plate. I watched her with a smile plastered on my face. My mom was holding back laughs, taking a bite of a green bean on her plate.
Parker finally did start eating, and didn’t talk as she did. She ate a lot, but not in an obnoxious way.
“That was delicious,” she told my mother, and she finally let out the laugh she’d been holding in.
“I’m glad you think so,” my mother began. “Parker, I am wondering. How has Ivan been so far?”
Oh, now I was quite nervous.
“Ivan has been lots of things. He’s been shy, and careful. He’s been pretty adorable, and really funny. Mostly awkward. Right now he looks terrified though,” Parker summed up, taking a sip of her drink.
“And, has he been a gentleman?”
“Only a gentleman. I don’t think he could be rude if he tried.”
“Then we agree on that.”
I felt so very incredibly anxious.
“Parker, do you like ice cream?” My Mom asked her.
“Yes, I do.”
“Then I think we should go down the street and get some,” she said. I was just happy that they were done talking about me.
“Sounds great,” Parker said.

________

“One medium vanilla ice cream cone, with the rainbow sprinkles,” Parker said, sounding much too excited. I continued to eat my own chocolate cone, while my mom talked to a neighbor.
Once Parker had her ice cream, we sat down at a picnic table, and Parker stared at her ice cream intently.
“What are you doing?” I asked.
“Well, it’s just. This ice cream represents more than it might seem,” she told me.
“What do you mean?”
“You have to always get a medium sized ice cream vanilla cone. Because a large is too much and a small is not enough. And with the rainbow sprinkles. And then look at it. It’s all the emotions you’ve ever felt. The sprinkles I mean. They are all these emotions. And when you eat it, it’s like you get to start over, fresh. You eat it, and you swallow. Swallow hard - it’s going to take a lot to keep them down. But, you can do it. Gain back your composure,” she concluded, and then finally started to devour the ice cream. Why did everything she said have to be so smart? So perfect? And never afraid. For the thousandth time, I wished to be more like her.

________

“I like her, she’s sweet, she‘s brave, and she doesn‘t pretend,” my Mom said, before making her way to her bedroom.
“I think so too.”
“Why didn’t you tell me before? About her I mean.”
“I’m not sure. I wasn’t sure how you’d react. I’ve never really, brought anyone home before.”
“And that’s why I like her so much. You had better keep her. I’m not kidding, Ivan.”
♠ ♠ ♠
So, a few things.
My friend and I were talking about this story. And he said that the title 'Quiet Boys' sounded like a gay magazine or something. I had to agree. So now everytime I think of the title, I think of that. And it can't be helped.

Secondly,
http://tinypic.com/r/jujmn5/6
This picture. Besides the eyes, it's Ivan to the maxxx.
It freaks me out.