Quiet Boys.

Left.

I was drinking Coca Cola, which I actually hated.
I was afraid of Parker, if I was being honest.
Afraid, because of how her personality sparked something in me.
Like, maybe if I were to talk to her more I wouldn't blush every time I saw a pretty face, and I wouldn’t shake every time I thought about riding in an airplane.
She had one of those young, delicate faces. One I could spill all of my darkest secrets to.
Not that I had many secrets, just such difficult thoughts I hadn’t thought anyone would understand, until Parker talked to me. Until she painted her phone number on my hand.
“Ivan, come downstairs,” I heard my father’s voice from down carpeted steps. I set the can of soda down, and walked out of my bedroom. He was fully dressed, though it was midnight. He had a shitty smile on his face, like it was supposed to fool me.
“Yeah, Dad?” I asked, even though I knew he was just leaving. Going to my uncle’s.
“I’ll be back in a week, okay?” He asked softly. I have to say it, my dad is my everything. He isn’t a fuck up like a lot of dad’s. Mine’s the genuine kind. My mom was really great too. Just turned out, they didn’t love each other.
“Okay, love you,” I told him. I wasn’t embarrassed of that, I still am not.
“Love you too Ivan.” Then my dad wrapped me in a hug and I hugged back and it was all just going to hell.
The front door closed, and I didn’t think I could take it.
My mom pulled my close to her and kissed my forehead, and she had to reach on her tippy toes to reach it.
Then I went upstairs, and wiped my eyes. I didn’t like crying, I only did it when necessary. I was a soft kid though. I still had so much growing up to do.
I was afraid of Parker, but I was terrified of this feeling.
I looked at my hand, the paint still there.
I picked up my phone and put her in as a contact.
Then I sent her a simple text message, hoping she would reply.

Hi Parker, it’s Ivan Worth. If you aren’t busy, could we talk?

I wondered if it was a bit much, but tried to push the thought aside. She had told me to text if I had wanted.
I just hoped she wouldn’t mind a crumpled kid’s problems.

________

Hi Parker, it’s Ivan Worth. If you aren’t busy, could we talk?

From an unknown number. Now I knew who it was. I saved the number as ‘Awkward Ivan’ then proceeded to re-read the text a few times; then finally a reply.

Hi Ivan. No, I’m not busy. What might be on your mind?

It took a few minutes, but he did reply.

Thanks. Nothing really, just that my dad won’t be back for a week. I thought about what you said more. I think it is better that they’re getting divorced. They can be happier. Maybe I should be happier about this situation.

I smiled. He was thinking about what I’d said.

Ivan, what did I say about thanks? But good. Where’s your dad headed? It won’t be so bad. Time will fly.

More time passed.

He’s going to my uncle’s until everything is sorted out. I hope so. I love my mom, but I think I should live with my dad.

I understood this more than he knew. Fathers are so important. They’re usually more patient than mothers.

Agreed. I understand completely, Ivan.

Then my phone rang. He was calling. It was unexpected, but I figured he was in one of those scary, desperate moods.
“Hello,” I said, wondering just how desperate he was to be calling a girl he barely knew.
“Sorry to bother you Parker,” Ivan began, with the rainy voice.
“You aren’t bothering anyone Ivan. What’s really the matter, besides your dad leaving?”
“I’m just scared I guess. How can people spend twenty years together, and then suddenly not want to be together?”
“I’m hating to tell you, but chances are it wasn’t sudden.”
“Then what’s the point of marriage!?” Ivan asked. It was the loudest I’d ever heard him speak, but it was still subtle.
“Because people are in love at a point, but love can die. Fifty percent of marriages fail. That’s why I don’t believe in marriage.”
“I do, I really, really do believe in it. I want to marry the woman I love. It means so much.”
“In what way Ivan? It’s a ring and a few vows. Is it your religion?”
“I’m catholic, yeah, but I haven’t been to church since I was nine.”
“Then why’s it so important?”
“You’re bound to that person you love so dearly for all of time.”
“Well, as in both our parent’s cases, apparently not. I hate to bring you down Ivan, really I do. I’m just trying to be blunt, okay? Please don’t be offended.”
“I’m not offended. I see your point completely. Just guess I’m trying to see past our crappy society.”
“I know, you’re trying to see the good in all the bad. I admire you for it. Wish I could still do that. But really, I haven’t cared to see the good in a long time.”
“Really?”
“Really, really.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this chapter didn't have any super smooth metaphors or similies. However, as their conversations grow, I promise the things they say will be pretty damn interesting. I've just got so much in my head for these two.
Feedback/critiques? Please and thank you.