It's What I've Always Wanted

It's What I've Always Wanted

It's Christmas season, which means a time for joy, laughter, and giving, or something along those lines. It's a time for families to come together and share the ups and downs of their lives. Not to mention overly priced presents for everyone of all ages but not for me. Not for poor, 17 year old, Katherine. Christmas is nothing but a 24-hour self-pity party. I don't usually bitch about my life but it would be nice to actually have a family to celebrate with. The closest thing to family I've got is 5, usually drunk, guys and one girl who surprisingly still has her sanity.

Of course I am talking about the famous and most awesome band ever, Avenged Sevenfold, along with Matt's girl, Val. I love my friends to death and would do anything for them. Speaking of which, I promised the gang a Christmas Eve dinner. I probably should get started, seeing as how it's four minutes till 6 P.M.

I go down the stairs of the bands semi-large house, enter the kitchen, and begin the prep work for the meal.

Nothing much happened during dinner, a mini food fight between Syn and The Rev occurred, Johnny spiked the eggnog, Shadows and Val were flirting with each other, and Zacky tried to flirt with me, “tried” being the key word. This caused everyone to laugh except Matt, he seemed pretty uptight about it but whatever, Zacky was only playing.

As I walked into the kitchen to put my plate in the sink, my phone began to ring. I looked at the screen and saw it was my orphanage. I let it ring a few more times before I picked up to hear the lady on the other end tell me some news. I took it as both good and bad news.

I then hang up my phone and stand at the sink just looking at the ham, potato, and vegetable covered plates. "I'm being... adopted?" I think to myself.

I finish up and head into the living room where everyone was crowded around the guitar hero duelers. Everybody but Johnny and Jimmy look up at me with smiles but soon become concerned once they see my blank face. The only good part about the news was that I would have a family but the rest was pure shit. I would be leaving tomorrow, not giving me much time left to have fun and get drunk with my best friends.

"Hey Kat, is everything alright? Who was that on the phone?" asked Val which broke me out of my thoughts.

"Yeah... Yeah I'm o.k. That was the orphanage and uhm... I'm being adopted." I reply.

She just walks over and hugs my then says, "That's great news hun but why are you so sad about it?”

"I'm leaving tomorrow to meet with them so that means I don't have a lot of time left with you guys and I may also never see you again." I tell her sadly.

This got Johnny and Jimmy to look up from their game with shock. I hang my head a bit letting my choppy red hair fall in my face when Syn speaks up and says, "Sure you'll see us again, there is no fucking way anyone can separate me and my shot matching buddy".

I look towards his face to see him trying be positive but only see his fake and forced smile.

I then too try and smile and say "Well, It's our last night to get really fucked up and since I'm allowed to stay over this one night, lets get this fucking party started! How about it?" Everyone laughs while Syn and I run to get the hard liquor along with chasers, beer, shot glasses and everything else you need to party.

After hours of partying, complaining neighbors, and dozens of party fouls, everyone either passed out or somehow made it to a bed and/or couch. I was smart and found a bed so I wouldn't end up passing out outside in the cold.

Morning or more like afternoon, came and everyone stumbled out to the kitchen. Everybody was fighting over every pain pill available in the house, which caused me to smile, but then frown knowing I would never spend time like this with them again. Matt saw my sadness and came over to comfort me.

"Don't look so sad Kat, we will see you often, maybe even more than you think, so don't worry about it" he said looking into my blue eyes then gave me a kiss on the forehead. He flashed me his one-of-a-kind smiles, you know, the one where all you can see is dimples and walked over and stole the Tylenol from Johnny. I just grinned.

"It's present time Mo Fuckas,” screamed Zacky, causing all of us to laugh.

In an assembly ling sort of way, everyone got a present to unwrap. Some of them were random but some were thoughtful. It was Johnny's turn and he opened the present from me which was a role of x-small condoms. We, meaning everybody, busted out laughing when he said they were too big.

It was Vals turn next to open a present. Matt then crawled under the tree to get one for her and stood up with a large box.

"This one is from me, babe,” he said while handing her the gift.

"It's kind of heavy,” she said while laughing. She tore the wrapping paper off and started slicing through the tape on the box. Everyone around looked at her with a smile as she dug through the box and pulled out a fair amount of weights until she came to a smaller box with "Jared" printed on it. Matt took the box out of her hands, got on one knee, and opened the box away from him so it would face her. The smile on her was one I had never seen before and soon tears began to slip from her eyes.

"Valary DiBenedetto, will you marry me?" Matt asked while slipping the ring on her finger. Val just hugged her fiancé and kissed him. After everyone’s many "congrats" and "we are so happy for you" I leaned over to Zacky and whispered, "He went to Jareds" He passed it on to whoever was next to him and soon everyone was laughing.

I looked over at the cable clock and saw it was already 2:00 and I had to be at the adoption place or whatever at 2:30. Since only one gift was left, I decided to tell the guys and Val goodbye.

"I have to meet them at 2:30 so I'd better be going. " I said with a nervous smile.

"You can't leave just yet, Kat,” said Gates.

"Yeah, there is still one more present left" added The Rev.

"Why don't you go see who it is to,” said Matt.

Slightly suspicious, I walked to the tree and picked up the surprisingly light present. I looked at the tag and saw it was from both Val and Matt. I smiled and sat on the couch getting ready to open it when the two of them interrupted me.

"We hope you like it" they said together. I smiled again at the engaged couple as I opened the box. I pushed the tissue paper away and froze when I saw what it was.

"You can take it back if you don't like it" said Matt with a smirk but I just shook my head "no".

Looking at it again to make sure I read and saw it correctly, I began to cry when I realized this was real. Inside the box was adoption papers signed by BOTH Matthew Sanders and Valary DiBenedetto.

"You mean..." I asked and they just nodded. I got up and hugged them and asked again "So I have a... family now?"

"No Kat", began Matt, "You were always a part of the A7X family since you were little and we would baby-sit you, but now you are an official Sander and our daughter." He finished with a warm smile.

I hugged everyone and lastly Matt when I whispered "Thank you, It's what I've always wanted..."
♠ ♠ ♠
Something I did last year. Hope you liked it! Comments would be nice but you don't have to. Merry Christmas! Oh yeah... and I really hope this is how you do a short story...