Status: Depends on the comments I get :]

The Thoughts of One Moment

Chapter Six

N.Y.C airways was packed when I arrived at 9 to meet my uncle Troy. He was flying in from Florida to see me and to see what I’d done with myself after moving out. Since only he was coming and not my overbearing parents, I had actually planned on showing him my studio where I kept my works.

I waited patiently as flight number C73 took off and D14 from Florida landed in the hanger. I re-adjusted the messenger bag on my right shoulder as the passengers made sure to grab their luggage and meet their awaiting families.

I peered over countless shoulders, I think at least twenty people came out before him. He greeted me with a warm hug. “Oh my, look at you, you’ve really grown since I last saw you.” He added upon wrapping his arms around me. I smiled. “How was your flight?” I asked him once the hug was over. “Generally disappointing. God it’s freezing how can you handle being this cold?” He trailed. “Its New York, its always this cold in January.” I snickered as he punched my arm lightly. “Next time, you can haul you lazy butt to Florida.” He joked. I shook my head at his comment.
...
I showed him around the work place where Richard was asking if I planned on covering for one of the other workers. I told him no and that today I was planning on spending with my uncle. He shrugged and asked one of the others to cover but told me that he was gonna call later on tonight.
...
I took him to the old run studio that I happened to own. “What’s this place?” He asked. “You mean this old run down studio?”

“You own this place.”

“A couple more payments and I will.” I said unlocking the door and switching on the light. Troy looked around almost instantly as if looking for something to judge - or at least something to tell my mom so she could judge.

That’s one of the things I’d hated about mom. Unlike her brother - my uncle, who even though he was just as quick to judge, he’d only tell me if I really wanted to know. Mom on the other hand would give me her opinion even If I hadn’t asked for it.

“This is a very interesting place you’ve got. How much have you been paying?” He asked. He always worried about me when it came to having money. “1,100 a month.” I told him and watched him swallow hard. “1,100 a month for this.” I nodded like this studio was my pride and joy. He looked around again. Pieces of glass were chipped away from the windows and the walls were cracked in some places. The tables were old, like the rest of the building and covered in burn spots and paint. Developing fluid bottles lay on their sides with a few of them actually standing up. Stings were the developing pictures were strung here and there. The place looked extremely unkempt.

“Its nice.” He managed. “Its precipitated.” I laughed. He nodded and offered a smile. “Why’d you want it then?” He asked afraid to touch the walls in fear of it collapsing. “Because it was the only thing I could afford at the time.”

“You could've just asked your mom and Kenneth. I’m sure they’d be happy to help.”
“They didn’t even take the time to come out here. They sent you and besides, the last thing I wanna do is ask mom for money. You know what she’s like. She’s gonna be like, ‘oh well i knew you couldn’t do this by yourself.’” I said. My uncle shrugged and offered to take me out to lunch to make up for bring mom into the conversation.
...
So as soon as we got to my apartment, Richard had called. I took a drag from my almost depleted cigarette. He asked me how my big date with Gerard went.

“I’m telling you, it wasn’t a date. It was just him asking me out for coffee.” I tried to explain. “And then you kissed him.” My uncle said loud enough for Richard to hear. “You kissed him!” He yelled on the other side. “On the cheek, Richard, don’t get all worked up about it.” I waited for the steam to roll off. “It was nothing serious. He called me a cab not knowing I lived practically right around the corner.” I explained. “So you kissed him!” He repeated. “Yeah Richard, we made out in a cab, like fucking teenagers.” I managed to take a sip. “Did you sleep with him?”

“Richard!”

“You did, didn’t you?” He asked hoping to get a yes. “I am not having this conversation.” I said and took time to enjoy the coffee pour down my throat. I was starting to regret telling uncle Troy about Gerard. “Rikki?” He checked. “I’m hanging up now, Richard.” Click.

“So, did you?” Troy just had to ask. I bit my lip and smiled. I shook my head no. We had a few more quite minutes before the phone rang again. “Great,” I said going to retrieve the phone. “Who is it?” He asked. “That’ll be Richard wanting to know if I’m moving in with Gerard or not.” I joked.

“Hello.”

“Hey, how was your date?” Allison came out and asked. “It wasn’t a date, it was coffee.” My uncle turned away whistling.

“Did you guys do anything?” She asked with a hint of pompous. “Yeah, Allison I had just finished telling my uncle how after we had coffee, we went out back to a dark alley and we-we just went crazy.” Troy found it difficult to hold in his laugh.

“Are you serious?” Allison checked. “For real! Now I’m having his kid and we’re moving to Spain.” I lied of course. Allison didn’t even bother to say goodbye when she hung up. I shrugged and tossed the phone on the couch.

“So, uh, do I get to meet this Gerard guy before you move to Spain?"

“I figured we‘d just do it without any questions.” I rolled my eyes, taking another drag.
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry for the long wait. it took sometime to get this chapter fixed up the way i wanted it to be. hope you enjoyed.

Comment?

Subscribe

Please!